News   Mar 28, 2024
 999     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I made a map of what I think rapid transit in Toronto could look like by the early 2040s after the current batch of planned and funded projects are finished. I put it on reddit and people pointed out some spelling and geographical mistakes, so be warned it isn't perfect.
View attachment 347465

I've written a bit more about it on reddit:
Ah so you made the map as I have seen it on Reddit the other day. It's very lovely! I definitely agree with the interlining choices with GO RER and could see that happening post GO RER. A few nitpicks though.

- No Spadina GO Station?
- 15 min RER service will be extended to Bradford rather than terminating at Aurora so I'd change that.
- Rename Eglinton-Lawrence to Bellamy GO Station. Lawrence Ave is much further to the north of the GO Station.

Can someone guess how many stations are on this map? (Yes, I counted)

I've been working on this map for about 3 years and I'm almost ready to call it done. Once I reach a certain number, it will be done (I think.) It's crazy how far this map has come. And for all the mistakes and stupid alignments some of the lines have, it makes up in the sheer quantity of stuff. But I do need suggestions.

PDF

View attachment 344460
So a few points of criticism specifically in the York Region Area - "Trenches" I assume refers to Trench Street, its singular not plural. Second, Viva's current plan is to extend Viva Blue North to service Yonge-Green Lane and East Gwillimbury GO , so trying to consolidate Viva Yellow and Blue as one line won't really work.

I made a map of what I think rapid transit in Toronto could look like by the early 2040s after the current batch of planned and funded projects are finished. I put it on reddit and people pointed out some spelling and geographical mistakes, so be warned it isn't perfect.
View attachment 347465

I've written a bit more about it on reddit:
Sorry but Line4 going down Stoufville to have a station at Midland? Midland barely sees 1000 passengers a day as it is with the SRT, why build a subway stop there 🤷‍♂️. Makes more sense to run Line4 straight across Sheppard to McCowan where SSE will terminate.

Eglinton East cancelled?

I wonder if we are going to stick with TR for Sheppard and extend to McCowan, is there any way to interline on Line 2 to STC. Seems a shame to not have a one seat ride on Line 4, when much of the regional transit will be going to STC (Ellesmere BRT for instance).

For my first post, I concocted a little transit fantasy map. It's definitely on the aspirational end of things. I'm calling it the "Inner Toronto Loop" connecting most of the inner 416 post war suburbs.

My two primary goals for the Loop are 1) to give transit riders as many different connections as possible between local and regional routes, TTC and other GTA providers; and 2) provide a viable transit alternative to the highway corridors. Thus, the western segment follows the 427, the east-west link is to relieve the 401, the Victoria Park segment parallels the DVP and the downtown section replaces the Gardiner. The Vic Park segment also relieves Line 1 and OL and it would allow the DVP to be tolled.

The rolling stock would be Ontario Line style light metro, similar to many other such lines in Europe and elsewhere. The line would be elevated and inside highway ROWs where possible. Line 4 would be repurposed and converted to light metro.

Operations would be done by the TTC as they're more accountable and transparent than Metrolinx. Accordingly, fares would be the same as the existing TTC fare structure. There would be robust fare integration with GO and Mississauga Transit.

Frequency would be similar to the current subway: 2-3 minutes peak and 7 minutes off peak.

The stations are not exhaustive, but only the most obvious ones I thought should be included.

Future phases may include an elevated extension up Hwy 27 to connect with the proposed 407 Transitway/REM line. Having a line parallel the 427 would allow that highway to be tolled.

Another extension would be elevated east on Sheppard to connect with Rouge GO. This section would allow the 401 to be tolled from Rouge to the 427.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
To drift a bit, I've been thinking about post Stage 2 Ion quite a bit lately and it's struck me that for all the talk of regional rail that might as eaily be GO as GRT I can make a pretty nice case for a Conestoga College APM system linking the Campus's themselves as well as massively improving connectivity to the Ion spine compared to what you'd ever get with iXpress:

1631731344170.png

An extra ION stop around Shantz Hill really does seem a decent idea it it's own right, though I grant sticking it right under the highway is only really sensible in the context of optimizing for higher order transit connection to Conestoga, and could, quite frankly perform pretty well as a transfer point even in a mostly mixed traffic interim BRT configuration with dedicated bus ramps to the 401 at the college:

1631731800513.png

I like the APM option better given the internal use it could allow between the Campus's, but OTOH building a dedicated transit link (in blue above) for that seems the sort of connection that self driving vehicles could probably handle today never mind in 2030+ or whenever such a thing might actually get done. Adding bus bypass shoulders to the 401 would, frankly, make this about as good a configuration as is possible with a BRT shuttle while supporting regional GO service better than any APM version would.

As a final thought, I'll toss in a third option for anyone who really doesn't want to slow Ion or deeply hates the under highway station:

1631732172164.png

An APM that cuts it's own path across the river and through the two golf courses actually comes out with a (very slightly) shorter route than one following the 401 (and frankly I penciled it in based what I drew for the 401 and stopping at the new bus loop, this could be further optimized if it stopped south of the main buildings and relocated the buses again or ignored transit connections on the Doon Campus side of the highway). Not my first choice given that I suspect the new corridor would be more costly than using the 401 alignment and that a fight over ploughing through the golf courses is probably inevitable, but it would probably be at least worth costing out at an EA level.

Last edited:
With the signing of the Hamilton LRT Memorandum of Understanding, I hope the province begins to explore new LRT networks in other "untapped" regions of the GGH. Here is my preliminary idea for a Niagara Falls RT system. The primary goal of this system would be to link downtown Niagara Falls, as well as a couple of commercial centres in the area, with Niagara GO, as well as inducing new development and density along these corridors.

Niagara Falls LRT.png

Refining my plan for the future GTHA transit map.

View attachment 349308
I like a lot of the ideas for better interconnectivity suggested. Major hubs are Kipling, Mount Dennis, and most importantly Scarborough Center as the hub for Scarborough as it should be, rather than Sheppard & McCowan which is nowhere. Having Line 4 get to Wilson and Jane so it isn't duplicating the service area of Finch LRT. An interesting take on the north end of Jane LRT to provide Steeles service rather than adding more capacity to Highway 407 (aka nowhere) station. Building Concord GO station... an important piece of connectivity between VIVA and the Barrie Line. Some of the routings seem off to me but the hub strategy is great.

With the signing of the Hamilton LRT Memorandum of Understanding, I hope the province begins to explore new LRT networks in other "untapped" regions of the GGH. Here is my preliminary idea for a Niagara Falls RT system. The primary goal of this system would be to link downtown Niagara Falls, as well as a couple of commercial centres in the area, with Niagara GO, as well as inducing new development and density along these corridors.

View attachment 351469

At first, I would argue that the population of Niagara Falls can't support it. However, taking into the fact that it is a major tourist destination, this, if done right, could make visiting there better for everyone.

At first, I would argue that the population of Niagara Falls can't support it. However, taking into the fact that it is a major tourist destination, this, if done right, could make visiting there better for everyone.
From a population standpoint, Niagara falls would absolutely not be able to support it presently, being around 90,000 people, especially considering the GGH still has many larger centres that have no rapid transit at all. However, I do believe that tourism could sustain demand on a main route directly from GO to downtown and the convention centre. There would need to be some serious densification in downtown Niagara Falls to justify any spur lines though.

From a population standpoint, Niagara falls would absolutely not be able to support it presently, being around 90,000 people, especially considering the GGH still has many larger centres that have no rapid transit at all. However, I do believe that tourism could sustain demand on a main route directly from GO to downtown and the convention centre. There would need to be some serious densification in downtown Niagara Falls to justify any spur lines though.

The WeGo service could be upgraded to a more formal BRT system

View attachment 351469
Wonder if it would be possible to use the old railway corridor that runs through that area. I believe it travels south all the way to Fort Erie. Maybe one day it could be use as an inter-urban "tram-train" service from Niagara GO Station to Fort Erie.

Back