News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

This is a fantastic map gweed. I'm not trying to butter you up or anything but I must say I'm always looking forward to new posts from you because your maps are always pragmatic and top-notch. Your efforts are much appreciated.

One note however: the Lakeshore REX should ideally be extended to Clarkson. Perhaps it could even be extended to Oakville as there are long-term plans to completely redevelop the area surrounding Oakville GO into an integral transportation hub. Oakville is also the busiest GO station by passenger volume.

Hahaha, thank you! I enjoy making the maps, and trying out new things with them to see if they fit. Some do, some don't. The Queen tunnel is a new thing I decided to try out to see how it would look in a network. Given that Metrolinx is going to be spending $6B+ on the DRL, I figured it would be interesting to integrate that into GO REX instead of the TTC network.

And yeah, extending to Clarkson does make sense. Oakville I'm not a fan of, because I think the "overlap" service should be intended for the inner suburbs. Oakville is kind of on the bubble for that, but I think it's outside it.

Small update to the map I posted earlier with many of the suggestions incorporated. The biggest one is that I split the Pearson-STC from the Kitchener-Markham line, and put it in blue to really distinguish it. The light green line now runs from Mt. Pleasant to Mt. Joy. Kitchener line is now semi-express, with a few stops in Toronto skipped.

GO%20REX%20v5.jpg

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43869799/GO REX v5.jpg

A cross border metro line? Good luck.

San Diego's Blue Line and Tijuana's Route 1 is going to be pretty damn close to it if construction ever starts (funding issues on the Mexican side). The planned end points are both within a 5 minute walk of customs point. It's a weird rubber tired train planned on the Tijuana side but it seldom rains here so it might work.

China/Hong Kong does have a metro which crosses their border. You pre-clear customs on the opposing side prior to boarding the train similar to US pre-clearance at some airports. While it's China to China, customs at the border is fierce.

Last edited:
Windsor has a bus route called the Tunnel Bus that connects its downtown bus terminal with downtown Detroit with several stops, including at the convention centre and Detroit's downtown bus terminal. It gets its share of commuters from Windsor who work in Detroit and people who go to Detroit for events like sports games. There's nothing to say a metro line couldn't work as well if the demand were there. Regional GO-style transit could perhaps use the existing freight tunnel between Windsor and Detroit.

Last edited:
I reuploaded my map. I think it got deleted somehow. I changed it a bit too. Queen subway connect at Victoria Park instead of Main St. I think someone here said Main St is too hilly or something like that, I don't remember the details. Also the discussion of Cloverdale/Honeydale in the other thread made me realize GO station would be good there too.

Last edited:
Windsor has a bus route called the Tunnel Bus that connects its downtown bus terminal with downtown Detroit with several stops, including at the convention centre and Detroit's downtown bus terminal. It gets its share of commuters from Windsor who work in Detroit and people who go to Detroit for events like sports games. There's nothing to say a metro line couldn't work as well if the demand were there. Regional GO-style transit could perhaps use the existing freight tunnel between Windsor and Detroit.

In this fantasy if Detroit never declined the influx pouring into Detroit would be a whole lot busier, therefore warranting a train for it.

Overwhelming map time!

IVzkil5.jpg

Yellow = Subway
Thin Blue = Surface LRT (not completely grade seperated)
Thick Blue = Grade seperated LRT
Thick Orange: grade seperated BRT (ottawa style)
Medium Orange: Higher level BRT but not grade seperated (Think highway 7)
Thin Orange: Bus lanes

GO transit is a bit more complicated. (Black)
It would be changed to O-train style urban rail, with varying frequencies across the network.

Thick Black = 3.75 - 7.5 minute frequency
Medium Black = 15-30 minute frequency
Thin Black = 60 minute frequency

Lakeshore West = 3.75 minute frequency
Lakeshore East = 3.75 minute frequency, 60 minute frequency to Bowmanville
Stouffville = 7.5 minute frequency to Mount Joy, 60 minute frequency to Uxbridge
Kitchener = 7.5 minute frequency to Mt. Pleasant, 30 minute frequency to K-W
Milton = 7.5 minute frequency to MCC, 15 minute to Lisgar, 60 minute frequency to Milton
Barrie = 15 minute frequency to Green Lane, 60 minute frequency to Barrie
Richmond Hill = 15 minute frequency to Richmond hill, 60 minute frequency to Bloomington

The LRT system would be interesting, with Eglinton acting as the "core" of the system. Between Jane and Don Mills the LRT would operate on 90 second frequencies, and with the trains splitting onto the two branches to make 3 minute frequencies on the outer spurs. This means that Don Mills, Jane, Eglinton to the Airport, and Eglinton to Kennedy would run every 3 minutes, but they would all serve as a single "line".

I don't think anyone will ever agree on what to do with Sheppard in general. Which is why status quo will win.

I'd much rather a Sheppard West subway extension than a Sheppard East subway extension.

I hope SELRT gets approved and starts construction soon so we can move on from this.

I'd much rather a Sheppard West subway extension than a Sheppard East subway extension.

I hope SELRT gets approved and starts construction soon so we can move on from this.

At this point, yup I agree. Build it and then wait until Eglinton opens and the DRL is under construction, and then turn the attention back to Sheppard. I think by the time Eglinton opens people will be far more willing to look at converting the subway.

Sheppard is a quagmire that isn't going to be resolved until whatever types of transit technology that are proposed for it are operating in Toronto.

Since we are in the transit fantasy map thread...

How about interlining Sheppard West extension with Spadina line until Finch. Have the FWLRT end at Finch West station with the ability to transfer to both the Spadina and Sheppard line at the same station?

I have detailed that in my proposals before, but I usually have the sheppard interline go up to York U. I consider it a key feature of a Sheppard Extension.

Back