News   Jul 30, 2024
 77     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 737     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 534     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

It's a pity we've learned nothing from our European and American counterarts. It's time for the federal and provincial levels to pull their weight. Some US cities get 50-75% funding for subway building and maintainence costs from the gov't.

Europeans and their association with LRT/streetcars should be applauded along with Toronto vs the Americans who have for the most part dismantled their systems, and are now slowly bringing them back (ie. Houston) as inner city transport, or more commutter like.

The americans are no better at maintainence issues, case in point NYC, the globally hailed amazing system just because its NYC and that the system is vast:

www.wirednewyork.com/foru...nextnewest

At least NYC has like 500 stations including stops through the ghetto, multiple ones to JFK, even the minor airports are covered. Whereas NYC's already there, we're catching up at best. More people would ride the TTC if it were in their neck of the woods, hence it's no surprise there's a deficit because it's not..

NYC's subway system is vast - BUT service is very lacking, especially on the weekend. Practically (outside of official posted frequencies) trains are bleed to ensure crowded trains even on the weekends and nights, and certian lines, the MTA North commutter trains are more frequent. If Toronto had a more vast network, but with the same frequencies, people would still be driving. I love mass transit myself (I live in Manhattan) as this is my main topic area on ut.com I frequent, but I got fed up (after 2 years) and bought a Mini Cooper because getting places on the weekend are just too unpredictable and take too long (especially outside the Manhattan Borough). My faustration is costing me a month $330 in lease payments, $415 monthly parking, and $80 in insurance and gas, but its worth it instead of having the headache and nusiance of dealing with the subway, or the slowpoke buses. And someone just mentioned that JFK doesn't have subway, they recently opened the airtrain that connects with the subway. LGA doesn't have any rapid transit, just crappy bus service with trip times that can vary from midtown between 50 minutes to just under 2 hours. But most new yorkers don't complain as most have never travelled on other systems like HK, even Toronto (for service), or Tokyo so for them its the norm. It never fails that the whole NYC system shuts down during 2-3 times a year during a workday because of fire, or other maintence issue.

So while we're paying $0.25 more for the 1000 daily users of Bessarion Stn., several thousand people as far away as Conneticutt (sp?) benefit from NYC's massive transit network. I may be a novice urban planner but I can confidently state long-distance heavy-rail public transit would work for Toronto, just as well if not better than peak only GO service.

Now, what are you talking about? You know how much the return COMMUTTER train costs to connecticut a day? Approx $23 dollars to Stamford (and not everybody can claim a transitcheck tax savings, your company has to enroll, which some do and some don't). I think most of us here classify us as 'novices' (though some arn't) but the difference is the most of us here generally know the system routes we talk about, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you've made a mistake on NYC transit (ie. subways to airports, and 'minor airports' whatever that means, subway to CONN).

Technically, GO transit is Heavy rail as well.

LGA doesn't have any rapid transit, just crappy bus service with trip times that can vary from midtown between 50 minutes to just under 2 hours.
Actually, that's what I *like* about it...

I do too but I only do it once every 5 years. Do it regularily and it becomes a pain.

Hazel McCallion may represent the City of Mississauga, but she doesn't represent all Mississaugans. Many Mississaugans would love for the subway to be extended to Square One, and its pretty much a no-brainer that it should.

Saying there's nothing between Dixie and Hurontario is kinda silly. Eastern Mississauga is probably the densest part of the whole city. Especially along Bloor and Dundas.

Are there more deserving parts of Toronto? Undoubtedly. But Mississauga is the logical place to extend the subway if you want to go beyond Toronto's borders, not York or Durham.

Most people would say York Region is the logical place to breach the 905, even if Yonge & Steeles or Steeles immediately adjacent to York U is 'Vaughan'...

This casts even more doubt that you've actually been anywhere in the GTA outside of your own neighbourhood. Are you kidding me?

What, what, what? There is no density in East Mississauga to warrant subways, only Hurontario qualifies for mass transit. If you've actually been anywhere in the GTA you'd know a Hurontario RT from Lakeshore to Queen or better yet to Bovaird aids the bulk of Peel Regionaires far more than miles of underused subways to link this one dense corridor to Toronto, a task easier and more cheaply done via 3 GO stops (Port Credit, Cooksville, Brampton) and an Eglinton-403 BRT.

This is the same issue I had with McCowan-Markville. Let the suburbs run BRT lines to connect with Toronto's hard subways. Our job should be to get these hard subways to the city limits where they'll be of use to the suburbs not amalgamating every place with greater than 50,000 residents with its own line.

Umm...there are hundreds of thousands of residents living immediately north of the Spadina line, and a million to the west.

There's a million people in Rexdale, Humberlea and the Albion industrial fields? If VIVA is any indicator to go by, ridership to VCC or even York U won't be that high, this is just political innuendo meanwhile the bulk of downtown, Etobicoke and Scarborough suffers through traffic woes.

There are no subway lines at all to JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, or even Teterboro... People do not take the subway to Connecticut.

All I meant was subway and commuter transit are more integrated there, making a cross-state commute not a cumbersome all-day affair. And regardless at least NYC has commuter trains to some of its airports, I'd like to have a direct route to the airport via public transit too, the 192 is too overcrowded, dangerous (you like standing on a bus going 90mph on a bustling highway holding onto luggage?) and shares its bay with 3 other routes adding to the pandemonium.

Do they build multiple subway lines out to protected parkland on the suburban fringe of the city?

It's hypocritical to chastise my end-routes when the current subways *cough- Downsview Parc- cough*- Hydro Corridor trifecta-cough* end in suburban fringes and parklands.

This paragraph proves you've never been to Scarborough. You think losing Ellesmere station is a bad thing?

I go to Scarborough at least 4 times a week, which makes me such a strong advocate for wanting better than to be abandoned at Kennedy then trevass my way east forever and a half on slow buses. If Ellesmere Stn was closer to the Kennedy intersection it'd see higher ppd- the concentration of factory outlets and other branch stores, residential area close by including Mondeo Condos. Even if the 95 bus was allowed to loop a la Lawrence East at least bus riders would spike usage above that of either Midland or McCowan stations easily.

Oh, they'll do much worse.

Worse than having every second train turned back at St Clair West peak and often non-peak too? Yeah, really. Since I'm the only one here that knows the Zoo, MTC, UTSC, 2 Centennial Colleges, Morningside Mall, West Hill-Malvern-Port Union-Highland Creek residents, Centenary Hosp., Sheppard East-Ellesmere-Kingston-Lawrence East blocs, Durham gateway, etc. will generate 0000s of daily riders in spite of your criticisms; lets just call it a truce then eh? Kennedy to Guildwood to start is very do-able and would be a viable line taking the zillion bus routes along this part of Eglinton off the streets, tell me you see the logic in that!

Your first order of business would be to create a ridiculous subway map, then say you don't actually support half of it, but attack anyone who tries to show you the err of your ways.

Not attack, debate. The only thing I was against was the subway entering the 905 suburbs which is exactly what you want. Why couldn't a series of regional terminals be just as effective to far-flung pockets of density way out of Toronto's jurisdiction then each pocket getting its own line?
Suburaban lines, running adjacent to already well served GO corridors is far, far more wasteful than connecting existing 416 areas and its residents to the core.

Europeans and their association with LRT/streetcars should be applauded along with Toronto

Except European systems are newer, faster, go farther, often go underground in the core and aren't limited by farebox collection which in T.O.'s case almost single-handedly funds new expansion while maintaining the current system at the same time.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you've made a mistake on NYC transit (ie. subways to airports, and 'minor airports' whatever that means, subway to CONN)... Technically, GO transit is Heavy rail as well.

Yup, too invested in saving Toronto's system to pay too much attention to NYC beyond a quick glance at the map. Maybe East Asia's a far better model locale to contrast how far behind T.O.'s become.

Saying there's nothing between Dixie and Hurontario is kinda silly. Eastern Mississauga is probably the densest part of the whole city. Especially along Bloor and Dundas.

More people live west of Hurontario, residences don't begin on Dundas til west of Cawthra, but in spite of this a MCC subway would likely work, just not high up on the list of priorities if Sherway gateway is achievable within a matter of short years.

Our job should be to get these hard subways to the city limits where they'll be of use to the suburbs not amalgamating every place with greater than 50,000 residents with its own line.

Then what is it you're doing? You're just connecting random suburban dots within the 416 with hideously expensive transit lines. The McCowan corridor has far more than 50,000 people - every stop would have 20-30,000 people within walking distance. But, yeah, why bring subways to areas where they'll be used when we can serve raccoons in the Rouge Park - 416 pride!

There's a million people in Rexdale, Humberlea and the Albion industrial fields? If VIVA is any indicator to go by, ridership to VCC or even York U won't be that high, this is just political innuendo meanwhile the bulk of downtown, Etobicoke and Scarborough suffers through traffic woes.

So there's no people in Etobicoke, yet all of these non-existent people suffer through traffic woes and need subways?

All I meant was subway and commuter transit are more integrated there, making a cross-state commute not a cumbersome all-day affair.

Instead of people coming in from Oshawa on the GO train, you'd rather they take a Durham bus to Rouge Hill and then get on the subway. Wow, ridership will skyrocket!!!!!

tell me you see the logic in that!

I don't really see the logic in anything you post because there isn't any...you contradict yourself with every post. I was (and you were) very clearly referring to subways out to the Zoo and along Lawson, not along Eglinton between Kennedy station and Kingston - a stretch of subway I've already said I support.

Based on the replacement of overlapping bus routes, Eglinton East is a clear candidate for subwayization, but so is Yonge north of Finch, which is the "subway to the 905" that I really want, something you're "against" even though it's on your map: "The only thing I was against was the subway entering the 905 suburbs which is exactly what you want." That sentence is an absurd lie - four of your planned lines enter the 905 and the only subways to 905 that I support are included in that bunch. I wouldn't build a McCowan subway immediately - it's a fantasy line - but I would support it over your awful east Scarborough lines.

Why couldn't a series of regional terminals be just as effective to far-flung pockets of density way out of Toronto's jurisdiction then each pocket getting its own line?

So Malvern is suddenly not a far-flung pocket? Thornhill is closer and has more people than Malvern...why should the very sprawlly subdivisions and parks of east Scarborough receive special treatment? Because they have a 416 area code? You'd give the city limits subways before some central areas simply because they're farther away.

Don't claim there's no "density" in Mississauga along Dundas and then claim there is density all over east Scarborough because of a few epic bus routes...FYI, there's bus routes all over Mississauga that will connect with the subway. Hey, what am I saying - that subway's on your map! Remember, the map you posted? The one every second sentence you spew contradicts?

Our job should be to get these hard subways to the city limits where they'll be of use to the suburbs not amalgamating every place with greater than 50,000 residents with its own line.

Your obsession with bringing transit to the city limits, regardless of what's there and rather than places that can support it, some of which are both closer and busier, is laughable. Based on your anti-905 bias, I'll assume you live south of Bloor - I bet you just bought a property in Parkdale, which is why you want a Queen line, to increase its value.

It's hypocritical to chastise my end-routes when the current subways *cough- Downsview Parc- cough*- Hydro Corridor trifecta-cough* end in suburban fringes and parklands.

Ugh, for god's sake, look at a map. There's NOTHING beyond Malvern that would generate riders, but a few km from Downsview is York U, not to mention buses coming in from Rexdale, Jane, and York Region.

the concentration of factory outlets and other branch stores, residential area close by including Mondeo Condos

Big box stores and master planned townhomes...your one-two punch for a successful subway line! And two condos! Wow, that's just like Sherway; why not propose 2 more subways to Ellesmere? So, let's see, anywhere with about two or three towers = must have a subway, but anywhere with twenty or thirty towers (such as the Jane, Weston, Don Mills, Warden, McCowan corridors and STC) = doesn't really deserve subways and having service 2km away is good enough. Gotcha.

the 192 is too overcrowded

The 192 also has a ridership of only 2500 per day. Fortunately, that qualifies for a subway based on your <10,000 riders plus squirrels per day scheme.

"Then what is it you're doing? You're just connecting random suburban dots within the 416 with hideously expensive transit lines. The McCowan corridor has far more than 50,000 people"

Ugh! What part of 'greater than 50,000' didn't you get? You seem to have zero problems with my other lines yet East Scarborough is such a huge issue. What you're suggesting by neglect of this region is still ill-fating residents east of SRT with 40-60 min bus rides. Even if a zillion people don't live there at least provide them with better than that.

"So there's no people in Etobicoke, yet all of these non-existent people suffer through traffic woes and need subways?"

See Scarberian this is it. You know damn well what I meant by the bulk of Etobicoke yet you took another oppurtunity to ridicule me. Eglinton, Lakeshore and Hwy 427 would serve far more people plus who'd travel from so far west to use the YUS line anyway?

"Instead of people coming in from Oshawa on the GO train, you'd rather they take a Durham bus to Rouge Hill and then get on the subway. Wow, ridership will skyrocket!!!!!"

Fine then what about the 000s that are goin to Durham but find they must backtrack their commute to Union to get on said GO train, east to west to get back east, yeah that'll save a gallon of time!

"I don't really see the logic in anything you post because there isn't any...you contradict yourself with every post.

The lines as you put it to the Zoo would not be subways although linked to the subway system. Spacing would be very far apart so its not like there a zillion stops in this area and trains would be short-turned after 10:00 p.m. reflective of minimal ridership late at night.

Even if one line didn't reach this far, the other definitely would because Markham Rd is sighted for transit upgrade hence the 4-5 stop extension to Sheppard Markham is a very strong possibility. The Zoo is a mere 5 stops from here either via Malvern/Old Finch or Sheppard East and would be above ground to save costs. And it wouldn't affect your precious Rouge Park either once the line enters Zoo property literally just east of Littles Rd or not-at-all if approaching from the south.

Maybe your right about Rouge Hill since extending the Sheppard Line to Meadowvale gives Durham access via the 401- that's just as useful as GO. But however I did say this was far in the future when everything even your precious DRL was complete so don't hate the messanger. And what exactly do you mean by Kingston Rd though? Merely stopping at Eglinton is pointless; Guildwood, Morningside or Highland Creek are far better candidates for where to stop and would have the big ppd draw from the Lawrence East corridor and the Instituition Block (i.e. Centenary/Centennial/UTSC).

"That sentence is an absurd lie - four of your planned lines enter the 905 and the only subways to 905 that I support are included in that bunch."

I included those for the sake of board concensus in spite of my belief the suburbs must take care of themselves. Recall asking me why I didn't put a washroom at Square One? Because it was a last minute addition so the care I took with the rest of the map needth apply. Only Pearson because its so darn close to the border anyhow gets a 905 free pass, better BRT links at Long Branch, Sherway, Humber College, Yonge-Steeles, Jane-Steeles, Don Mills, McCowan-Markham, Queens Quay (shocking eh? Well this is really FRT to Hamilton and Niagara) and Rouge Hill is all the suburbs deserve for now, lets think Queen, Eglinotn even the DRL first.

"So Malvern is suddenly not a far-flung pocket? Thornhill is closer and has more people than Malvern"

It also has far more options at its disposal than a singular ELRT would be for Malvern. Centrepoint is alot cheaper to build than VCC and would serve far more people. I may not know how to accomodate these excess riders south of Lawrence but it still beats the heck out of the vacant lots around the 400. If a line goes out to Sheppard Markham where all the Malvern-area buses can terminate without need for STC could you completely cease and dismiss the whole Malvern-Zoo thing? Seriously I get why you hate it, don't throw in my face every post.

"Don't claim there's no "density" in Mississauga along Dundas and then claim there is density all over east Scarborough because of a few epic bus routes"

Because there isn't. You want to run subways into Peel just to have a relocated MT terminal at a GO station when you've completely overlooked Kipling already does that. Oh and Dixie's much farther south than Kipling and especially Islington, which forces bus routes to go out of their way to reach mass transit. At least Squre One is a heavy passenger draw. If you're not willing to go there you may as well not enter Peel at all since the four terminals cover every major crowd/trip generator anyway and suburbanites would much rather have a fully accessible Toronto with stations at almost every major attraction/amenity than a line that's virtually useless to pedestrians yet supposed to running along a 'dense'? corridor.

"Your obsession with bringing transit to the city limits,... I'll assume you live south of Bloor - I bet you just bought a property in Parkdale, which is why you want a Queen line, to increase its value."

Nope, that's something someone more of your ilk would do. I'm selflessly putting the welfare of millions ahead of my own, you're playing cruenyism with Sombara and the proponents of the DRL. I personally don't need several of the areas I drew on the map, but I did it anyway because several thousand today and many more in the long-term future will benefit from them. South of Bloor is the core, 501 Queen outbeats the subway sometimes in terms of ppd and imaigne what combined King, Queen and Dundas ppd looks like-goodbye YUS and BD, it's the Queen line that'd see 200,000+ ppd.

"Ugh, for god's sake, look at a map."

It seems I'm the only one doing that. the woodlands, cliff-faces and golf courses of Graydon Hall warrant a subway before dense Morningside-West Hill because its 'closer'? VIVA Orange-you know the precursor for VCC- has like 3 riders total pulling into Downsview per trip- yup looks like we got a winner on our hands.

"So, let's see, anywhere with about two or three towers = must have a subway, but anywhere with twenty or thirty towers doesn't really deserve subways and having service 2km away is good enough. Gotcha."

Sorry for stating the obvious but Ellesmere already exists, you're talking about dismantling it in favor of a single Ellesmere-Midland stop when it's Kennedy that has the commercial and residential volumes to support mass transit. The inaccessibility of the station is what makes it underused, integrate route 95 and watch the usage grow, even walk-ins from Kennedy would board the bus just to enter because at least there'd be a connection. Gotcha!

These ever-growing lists of places you're pulling out of your arse (seriously Warden now?) don't change the fact that the Sheppard Line is within range to serve every single one of them, maybe if the purple line were along Steeles instead you'd get it, but then I suppose you never get it.

"The 192 also has a ridership of only 2500 per day. Fortunately, that qualifies for a subway based on your <10,000 riders plus squirrels per day scheme."

Or maybe more people drive, take taxis or use GO transit or other TTC routes (58 Malton, 300, 307) instead because of the inconveniences I listed in the prior post. If passengers from all these sources had a direct route 10x as many would be riding between Kipling and the airport. Since you have no real desire to propose a real solution to reducing bus smog pollution from Toronto's air by giving actual crowd trip generators the subways they so deservingly need, only to play mindgames with me, I guess we're done here.

"That map of his is basically transwank."

Yeah, transwank, let me go consult my lexicon!

I included those for the sake of board concensus in spite of my belief the suburbs must take care of themselves.

Ridiculous claims aside, this is the fundamental problem with your approach. Instead of trying to efficiently network population centres throughout the region, you're basing your plans on hopelessly obsolete and artificial political boundaries, treating the suburbs as if they exist as completely separate entities simply because they're on the other side of some arbitrary road. This is precisely the problem now; we need more than anything to get away from the traditional parochial piecemeal approach and recognize the GTA for the single urban entity it's been for many years already.

If every municipality int he GTA was forced to take care of itself then it would be Toronto that would suffer the most, not the 905.

This is all such a moot point, there never would be enough money to pay for all these dreamed up lines, in any city.

The decisions would have to be based upon the best they can come up with, with the money that's available to work with.

LRT or BRT on it's own ROW, particularly off the road would be preferable, particularly more attractive to lesser denser areas.

Yes your map was transwank for sure!

"you're playing cruenyism with Sombara"

As they say, a noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. The Vaughan line is perfectly cromulent.

edit - but hey, you already know that - it's on your map!

What I really don't get is why anyone in their right mind would think Vaughan would be a more logical subway extension than Mississauga City Centre. A rough Google Maps search shows MCC to be 12 km away from Kipling Station, and Hwy 7 & Jane to be 8 km from Downsview Station. Wouldn't it make more sense to go the additional 4 km and service a much bigger current transit hub at MCC than VCC will ever be in the future? Virtually ever bus in Mississauga connects to Square One or would connect to one of the stations along the stretch from Kipling to MCC. Only buses that wouldn't without going out of their way would be the buses along Winston Churchill, Erin Mills Parkway, Glen Erin and Mississauga Rd. The Creditview bus could easily be rerouted into Square One.

Back