News   Jul 31, 2024
 309     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 394     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 338     2 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

If the TTC decides to "save money" by building the Eglinton stations not easily convertible to subway, then that mistake would be rued for decades I'm sure.

There should be a #85X Sheppard East Express bus that only stops at major interesections. Wouldn't that speed things up a bit and maybe reduce the need for an LRT or a subway extension?

What's wrong with the 190? It doesn't go on Sheppard past Kennedy, but then an E would probably switch to local service there anyways.

What's wrong with the 190? It doesn't go on Sheppard past Kennedy, but then an E would probably switch to local service there anyways.

The 190 travels on Sheppard from Don Mills Stn. then turns South on Midland. What 190 have you been riding?

Although the route does not technically stop at Midland, I've been on the bus many times where the driver has dropped people off at the intersection there, and there is no real reason as to why this shouldn't be an official stop.

The 190 travels on Sheppard from Don Mills Stn. then turns South on Midland.
Yes, I just described the route, why are you repeating the description?

What 190 have you been riding?
What other 190 is there? I'm not really seeing the point of your question.

Most drivers won't let you off the 190 at Midland or Progress even if you beg them, but I have seen it happen once or twice if a nice driver is asked at a red light. Haven't seen any in a few years though...this was just back when the route's stops were a bit more irregular and many, many people would get caught on the 190 not aware of how express it was. That was like 2003, though. Few people are caught off guard today, mainly because so much of the 190's ridership is people who've shifted over from the 85 because the 190 invariably saves time - even though it only overlaps the 85 for less than 5km.

Hi all,

I'm looking for information on this development but am finding it difficult to wade through 90 pages of technocratic bickering. Perhaps someone can simply answer my questions for me:

1) How will the transfer between Don Mills Station and the LRT work? Will people be able to simply switch platforms, or will they have to walk some distance? Will it be necessary to carry a paper transfer?

2) Is the line being set up to potentially be converted into a subway in the future?

Thanks in advance!

1) How will the transfer between Don Mills Station and the LRT work? Will people be able to simply switch platforms, or will they have to walk some distance? Will it be necessary to carry a paper transfer?

Excellent question, and the answer is that we will not know for certain until the Don Mills EA is finished. There is a very strong probability it will be an underground interchange between Eglinton and Don Mills. Currently, Eglinton is planned to be underground at this intersection with Don Mills on the surface; with Eglinton plans in stone and Don Mills plans being very malleable.

All Transit City routes are going to be POP (proof of purchase required) to allow all door boarding: it's a good thing! A transfer paper or some other proof of payment (metropass, etc.) will be required whether you transfer or not.

2) Is the line being set up to potentially be converted into a subway in the future?

Yes. There will be a cost for building out the rest of the station but it will be practical to do so (grades, curves, etc. for subway is being considered). All other components may be reused with minor modification.

^^^
Thanks for the prompt and succinct response! But I'm confused. Is the Sheppard East LRT supposed to cross Eglinton at some point?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm looking for information on this development but am finding it difficult to wade through 90 pages of technocratic bickering. Perhaps someone can simply answer my questions for me:

Thanks in advance!

1. Still have to wait for the EA. It depends how long you define as 'some distance', and yeah, will need proof of payment.

2. Likely not. To convert to a subway would be a replacement, with nearly no re-use.

The poster one above answered your question, but about the Eglinton LRT, not Sheppard East.

Back