News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 964     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 365     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

With all these BILLIONS of dollars being spent, you'd think that would be enough for all the subways this city needs.

The downtown core desperately needs an east-west subway line decades ahead of anything along Sheppard, IMO. I'd also put B-D subway extensions to STC and MCC higher up in priority.

The downtown core desperately needs an east-west subway line decades ahead of anything along Sheppard, IMO. I'd also put B-D subway extensions to STC and MCC higher up in priority.
I agree with you. I don't understand why everyone's lobbying for a full blown subway on Sheppard, when we don't even have full subway coverage downtown. I would prefer to see Eglinton be a Subway or the DRL built (or at least committed) before we finish Sheppard.

I agree with you. I don't understand why everyone's lobbying for a full blown subway on Sheppard, when we don't even have full subway coverage downtown. I would prefer to see Eglinton be a Subway or the DRL built (or at least committed) before we finish Sheppard.

DRL subway is definitely more important than Sheppard subway.

Eglinton vs Sheppard: I think Sheppard is more useful in the long range. Eglinton corridor is relatively close to Bloor subway and Midtown rail line, those two can handle most of long-range trips. For local and mid-range trips on Eglinton, LRT should be sufficient.

In contrast, there is no E-W rapid transit corridor other than Sheppard subway. (Well, Finch Hydro strip might be suitable for that, but it has its share of issues and the costs of resolving them are not counted yet.)

DRL subway is definitely more important than Sheppard subway.

Eglinton vs Sheppard: I think Sheppard is more useful in the long range. Eglinton corridor is relatively close to Bloor subway and Midtown rail line, those two can handle most of long-range trips. For local and mid-range trips on Eglinton, LRT should be sufficient.

In contrast, there is no E-W rapid transit corridor other than Sheppard subway. (Well, Finch Hydro strip might be suitable for that, but it has its share of issues and the costs of resolving them are not counted yet.)
I could agree with you that subway is not needed so much on Eglinton, but I think instead of LRT, they should be looking at some other form of RT, like ART for Eglinton, and give it real stations, and Subway-like characteristics (car length, speed, frequency, comfort, etc.) The same could be done further north, but I don't think it would work with a Finch W/Sheppard E line, partially because with the existing Sheppard subway already there, it would really screw up travel routes.

I would prefer that Sheppard be one continuous route, from Morningside to Yonge or Downsview. In the future, they could put the LRT underground in the existing subway tunnels, add more stations, and possibly extend it to downsview station. Then there could be a continuous Finch Crosstown route, using an ART or something of the like, which would provide rapid northern crosstown transit, with the same idea as Eglinton: Subway-like, but just not completely underground.

People aren't lobbying for finishing the Sheppard subway because they don't want a new subway downtown. It's not an either/or proposition. We need both, and we're never going to get a decent network as long as people keep promoting one project to the exclusion of all others. I have the same problem with light rail supporters who view transit-building as a zero sum competition between their mode and subway, as well as the mythical subway supporters who don't think any other mode is worthy of investment. Some places need a subway, like downtown and Sheppard where it's already half-built. Some places need light rail, like Hurontario and Finch West. Some places need regional rail, like MCC and the other 905 suburban centres.

We need to build all of them.

That's true, but with our current government, we're not going to get all of them. This is probably the biggest reason why I can't wait until the next municipal elections.
McGuinty was off to a good start with Move Ontario, but we really need more money for the proper transit. Transit City is just fully making use of all the money they're getting, but that's not all the money we need.

Also, I don't think I ever said that the people lobbying for a sheppard subway didn't want a new subway downtown ;)

That's true, but with our current government, we're not going to get all of them. This is probably the biggest reason why I can't wait until the next municipal elections.

as much as I hate Miller, none of the right wing politicians will care as much as him on transit.

Uh-huh ... like Mike Harris ... you really don't want to go down THAT path do you? We'd have had a lot more subway had Mike Harris not been elected.

yes however they are going to fund it by cutting your taxes...

At least the right-wing politicians prefer subway over LRT.
It's not that subway should be preferred over LRT, but Miller is totally OBSESSED with this thing. I think the only reason the DRL isn't in Transit city is because Miller knew it wouldn't work as LRT. I think some routes like Don Mills and Jane would work very well with regular LRT, but Eglinton, honestly? I'm glad that we're upgrading and all, but we should get it right the first time. A bit of LRT here, a bit of Subway there, some ART over there, and a hint of Regional Rail to top it all off.

Good grief - there isn't a single proposed LRT route where the demand come close to justifying subway. Miller is supporting subway where it's warranted; Yonge, Spadina extension, and the downtown relief line. And they are pushing that all be built by 2023.

Good grief - there isn't a single proposed LRT route where the demand come close to justifying subway. Miller is supporting subway where it's warranted; Yonge, Spadina extension, and the downtown relief line. And they are pushing that all be built by 2023.

The Spadina extension warrants a subway? I ca make the same argument north of Steeles on Yonge.

I'm not saying I object to these ... but your logic, I'm not so sure :)

Back