News   Jun 11, 2024
 645     0 
News   Jun 11, 2024
 521     0 
News   Jun 11, 2024
 934     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

The whole idea that LRT will Avenuize these streets is frankly ridiculous. I strongly believe in stopping the Sheppard East LRT. I think it's just such a stupid thing to do it's beyond belief.

Back to this photo...

ser574%5Cs0574_fl0024_id49459.jpg

...it's incredible to think that those two ultra-modern storefronts on the left *still exist*.

Why not just build Sheppard subway to Finch West (interline with Spadina extension?), it would be much faster for anyone going east of Don Mills.

This option should be considered, at least as an alternative to the Finch - Don Mills LRT bypass.

One issue to solve will be the connection between Sheppard subway and Spadina North. The existing tracks at Downsview are aligned N-S, and the Spadina extension is supposed to continue about 400 m north of Sheppard, before tilting west. So, tracks coming from the east along Sheppard would not be able to connect to those N-S tracks, or feed into the existing Downsview platforms.

Likely, a new "Downsview E-W" station would have to be built under the Sheppard / Allen intersection. West of Allen, the E-W tracks would have to tilt north, and merge with the "Spadina" tracks near Sheppard West station.

This might be doable, but can be costly.

Back to this photo...

...it's incredible to think that those two ultra-modern storefronts on the left *still exist*.

Of course they still exist, the construction was only for a subway, but even mention that a LRT :eek: line may be built, and even the most stable business will will start dropping like flies.

Whoaccio, what city is that in the photo on the right? I'm in love with it....it reminds me of Vancouver on steroids. Lovely.

They brought up the way the TTC does things kinda wacky by mentioning the St Clair ROW but, from what I can tell walking those streets once in a while, businesses haven't been all that inconvenienced and are still rolling along. Am I wrong? I don't really frequent that part of the city but I'm through there about ten times a year and I haven't noticed any seriously adverse effects.

That's not to say they shouldn't be concerned with the way the TTC does these things. I mean, the way they're doing St Clair is kinda....well, sad. How long have they been working on it now?

Whoaccio, what city is that in the photo on the right? I'm in love with it....it reminds me of Vancouver on steroids. Lovely.

Umm... you must have a high resolution monitor because mine displays the two pics one on top of the other. The one with the satan-rail is Tokyo while the one with the road bridge is Seoul and the Han River. Both pictures are from Wikimedia.

Umm... you must have a high resolution monitor because mine displays the two pics one on top of the other. The one with the satan-rail is Tokyo while the one with the road bridge is Seoul and the Han River. Both pictures are from Wikimedia.

Thank you.

Maybe I'll swing by there (Seoul) if I ever get out to that corner of the planet. It just reminds me of Van City and I LOVE Van City.

And in your opinion what makes Scarborough less deserving of subway than Vaughan or Richmond Hill, exactly?

I agree that extending it should not be a massive priority, but my guess is that later down the road, either the LRT is going to replace the subway or the subway is going to replace the LRT. Let's just see how the "new" LRT will work and, in the long run, development on Sheppard progresses.
Who knows? Maybe the TTC is secretly organizing a replacement of the Subway, or the other way around. Just saying that I wouldn't object much to them extending the LRT to Yonge.

Subway to Richmond hill next to a go station good...:rolleyes:

Subway to Scarborough...bad :confused:

How weird...

The problem with this picture is that we don’t think like a big city. Isn't it time that we behave like the third transit company in North America???

North York Center connected to Scarborough Centre is just basic common sense...

I live in North York and I would love to go to Scarborough Center but its just too freaking far. I think the numbers on the ridership for a Sheppard extension is horribly underestimated...

------------

I lived in Montreal and the blue line used to be called a useless line. The ridership was so low that they closed the line at 11pm everyday.

Subway brings growth to an area and we can see what has happened on Sheppard East since the line opened. A subway line attracts residents, businesses and investments.

After a few years, the blue line has become so successful that it now closes later and has 6 wagons instead of 3. Now it’s called a success.

Extending Sheppard to STC and to Downview is a must and it will be worth it in the long run.

With the Spadina extension to York university...Sheppard to downsview not a priority??? Are you kidding???
You get to shutdown the 196 Bus, cut transit time, reassign those buses on other Bus routes.

Last edited:
I still find it highly amusing that the notion that the Sheppard subway absolutely cannot, should not, and will not be extended exists right alongside another notion that vast sums of capital dollars desperately need to be spent on light rail in the same corridor right now.

Subway to Richmond hill next to a go station good...:rolleyes:

Subway to Scarborough...bad :confused:

How weird...

Subway to the southern boundary of RH, and subway to STC, both good.

The two stations have certain things in common. They are about equidistant from Union. They are in two relatively suburban, but highly densifying, areas. RHC is collocated with a GO station; to get to STC you don't have to go too far past a GO station (Kennedy, along the way). I'd argue that there is a more continuous chain of development extending up to RHC than out to STC but, at the end of the day, both are needed.

The problem with this picture is that we don’t think like a big city. Isn't it time that we behave like the third transit company in North America???

Thinking like a big city requires paying attention to the actually-existing urban form, not to lines on a map.

North York Center connected to Scarborough Centre is just basic common sense...
With the Spadina extension to York university...Sheppard to downsview not a priority??? Are you kidding???

Exactly!

While I see everyone's argument for a subway, and I believe it is valid, I would rather see a GO route or some other form of transit that could take people straight from STC to North York, while bypassing the expense of an underground rail line which, for now at least, is not needed for the space in between. There is a reasonable amount of development on Sheppard, but I'd say unless the City can assure some major development across the whole subway route, a LRT could solve transit issues on Sheppard. If what the TTC is predicting for their LRTs is anywhere close to reality, I believe the system will work successfully.

While I see everyone's argument for a subway, and I believe it is valid, I would rather see a GO route or some other form of transit that could take people straight from STC to North York, while bypassing the expense of an underground rail line which, for now at least, is not needed for the space in between. There is a reasonable amount of development on Sheppard, but I'd say unless the City can assure some major development across the whole subway route, a LRT could solve transit issues on Sheppard. If what the TTC is predicting for their LRTs is anywhere close to reality, I believe the system will work successfully.

What problem is solved by spending the better part of a billion dollars on a transit line that will stop at red lights and travel maybe 2km/hr faster than existing buses (and who knows what the frequency will be...)? The problem of not having enough light rail?

The purpose of transit along the corridor is not to take people straight from Yonge Street to STC, it's to serve the hundreds of thousands of people and jobs along the way. The subway already exists...

What problem is solved by spending the better part of a billion dollars on a transit line that will stop at red lights and travel maybe 2km/hr faster than existing buses (and who knows what the frequency will be...)? The problem of not having enough light rail?

The purpose of transit along the corridor is not to take people straight from Yonge Street to STC, it's to serve the hundreds of thousands of people and jobs along the way. The subway already exists...
The Sheppard LRT will have signal priority no doubt, so change that 2 km/h more to around 10, and I think the idea that the line will be over capacity is absurd.
I think everyone's underplaying LRT technology. If it is implemented properly, which after the St. Clair disaster it undoubtedly will be, I simply believe that it will provide sufficient transportation along the Sheppard corridor and that our resources are better spent in areas that require help more.
By the way, I don't quite understand what you mean by "The subway already exists..." Could you explain?

Back