333     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/news/...ransit-tax-with-or-without-the-mayors-support

legacy fund
would raise 100 millions per years starting in 2013 by raising taxes and parking levy
sheppard extension
DRL
Finch

with or without the mayor's support

Cautiously optimistic with this turn of events.. even Josh Matlow's tweet.
Perhaps Toronto is finally buying into sound transit planning and a transit system for all of Toronto instead of a "downtown v. suburbs" battle.

From the globe and mail:
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/n...nd-subway-plan/article2376033/?service=mobile

the Portlands streetcars are included. I congratulate them for doing what's right by ignoring Ford's unwillingness to come forward with a plan.

-Stinz plan was to study the DRL and Sheppard West
-Scarborough councillors plan would built it

thanks for raising above that stupid debate of "downtown vs suburb"

Now lets see who will vote against building the Drl and have their own constituents against them.

Last edited:
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/news/...ransit-tax-with-or-without-the-mayors-support

legacy fund
would raise 100 millions per years starting in 2013 by raising taxes and parking levy
sheppard extension
DRL
Finch

with or without the mayor's support

$100M per year is enough to make some expansions at a decent clip if we can the fed and/or the province to match it.

Much more importantly, this strong support gives Metrolinx the ability (politically) to implement something region wide that might pull in $1B/year. What Chong/KPMG describe as an agressive road toll would do that.

I would see this as the 3rd vote. Peel and York regions are both in favour of tolling. Durham region is not. Toronto is the swing vote for a GTA wide revenue stream.

Personally, I would decouple the vote for Sheppard with the vote for taxation at a higher level since $100M/year doesn't net you a DRL (it will take what, 30 years just for to build the eastern leg @$3B). Considering the fiscal inclinations of the province and the feds, I wouldn't count on matching funding for a long while.

AoD

Last edited:
From the globe and mail:
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/n...nd-subway-plan/article2376033/?service=mobile

the Portlands streetcars are included. I congratulate them for doing what's right by ignoring Ford's unwillingness to come forward with a plan.

-Stinz plan was to study the DRL and Sheppard West
-Scarborough councillors plan would built it

thanks for raising above that stupid debate of "downtown vs suburb"

Now lets see who will vote against building the Drl and have their own constituents against them.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it does look like Councillors are working together to build (at least in it's baby stages) a plan to expand the transit network for all of Toronto instead of "Scarborough deserves subways" and "DRL above all everything else". It's just refreshing to see that the Councillors want to raise money to build continuously in all areas.

rbt:

That's a big maybe - first, there is electoral calculus involved, and that particular project was funded during the "best of economic times" - that climate has since changed. That said, if there is a line where P3 has a prayer of hope, it's probably the DRL where the private sector can concievably make money off it.

AoD

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it does look like Councillors are working together to build (at least in it's baby stages) a plan to expand the transit network for all of Toronto instead of "Scarborough deserves subways" and "DRL above all everything else". It's just refreshing to see that the Councillors want to raise money to build continuously in all areas.

Very promising indeed!! Paradoxically, the biggest obstacle to extend Sheppard Line and to build other subway lines and extensions at this moment is Ford and his unwillingness to support new revenues...

rbt:

That's a big maybe

Nope. Industry Canada said as much just a couple of days ago.

It is available; tons of strings as is the case with Federally funded projects (took Spadina nearly 3 years to work through these strings to actually get funding) but it is available.

Even if it is still there, is access to that point of money by merit, or by political calculus?

Difficult to tell. The statement (a single sentence) by Industry Canada was specifically with regard to the Sheppard discussion in Toronto implied money could be available for any option on the table.

I don't personally think it is worth considering (delays through this process cause inflation to eat away the funding, private contractor will externalize costs where possible [see Canada Line short platforms, cut&cover construction, etc].) but I believe it is available to Toronto with a proper application.

Conc. Doug Ford just asked TTC GM Byford what would he do if he could choose between LRT and subways.

He said that:

"According to his expertise, he would build a subway on Sheppard and that this city needs more subway line and this needs to be address as soon as possible"

This is the surprise of the day so far.

Eric Miller got grilled this morning on the fact
-that they did not study the operating cost of subways to which he could not deny that it was higher.

Back