359     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Not really. The LRT won't last nearly as long as subways, and it will cost more in car driver gridlock than the subway will have cost to build over the time frame of 15-20 years. The fuel waste in traffic slowdowns alone is bad enough.

These are the types of posts I expect to see on that other Toronto blog site.

You are describing the area just north of Don Mills/Sheppard to a tee. One of the highest densities in the WORLD let alone Toronto, all adjacent Sheppard Ave.

You can only fool the ignorant with a statement like that. Highest density in the world? Get better material.

That is, quite literally, the worst stretch of track on the Kitchener-Toronto route (for both GO and VIA). The trains, despite being on its own ROW literally crawls in and out the Guelph Train station.

There needs to be a better ROW for that stretch of track. And I don't see how. Elevate? Tunnel? Divert?

Without knowing all the details, it is worth noting that diesel trains are very slow to accelerate and difficult to stop as well. I bought a train simulator game off of Steam, and never realized the skill required to stop a train safely.

The fact the guy is a conservative does not mean we are being trolled or played. Granted, he needs to lay off the sarcasm, but not everyone is troll.
I have no idea why you'd think he was conservative. I don't really believe in this left-right stuff. Besides, isn't he advocating subways? Conservatives cancelled them last time they were in power.

If only Toronto had the guts to use LRT that operated as "rapid transit" -- grade separated or ROW with full signal priority. I'd support that on every LRT-appropriate route (sans Sheppard).

I think the best way to showcase true LRT would be to convert one of the streetcar lines to LRT. King, Queen, College, whatever street you think can do without that extra lane for cars. Personally I'd choose Queen. Cut the stops by 50-75% and implement full signal priority or duck underneath the intersections and it would be amazing.

Last edited:
That is, quite literally, the worst stretch of track on the Kitchener-Toronto route (for both GO and VIA). The trains, despite being on its own ROW literally crawls in and out the Guelph Train station.

There needs to be a better ROW for that stretch of track. And I don't see how. Elevate? Tunnel? Divert?

I would think trenching it would probably be the best option.

Not really. The LRT won't last nearly as long as subways

That talking point is a lie. They shut down our subways every night 1 am-6am for rebuilding and maintenance while the streetcars keep running all night. The Yonge line has been having ridiculous early shutdowns north of Sheppard/etc on weekends for as long as I remember. They've had a couple bizarre reroutings from the Bloor line to Museum station on the University line for track rebuilding in the last couple years.

Subways wear out and need expensive repairs same as everything else.

That talking point is a lie. They shut down our subways every night 1 am-6am for rebuilding and maintenance while the streetcars keep running all night. The Yonge line has been having ridiculous early shutdowns north of Sheppard/etc on weekends for as long as I remember. They've had a couple bizarre reroutings from the Bloor line to Museum station on the University line for track rebuilding in the last couple years.

They also had the Dundas streetcar shut down for an entire year (I think it was a year, if not damn close to it) in 2007 for track replacement. Just saying.

at least you have service when it matters, peak hours...

When a streetcar line or future LRT line will need to shutdown, it will be gone for a while...

If only Toronto had the guts to use LRT that operated as "rapid transit" -- grade separated or ROW with full signal priority. I'd support that on every LRT-appropriate route (sans Sheppard).

I think the best way to showcase true LRT would be to convert one of the streetcar lines to LRT. King, Queen, College, whatever street you think can do without that extra lane for cars. Personally I'd choose Queen. Cut the stops by 50-75% and implement full signal priority or duck underneath the intersections and it would be amazing.
None of these streets can do without a lane but Sheppard sure could

They also had the Dundas streetcar shut down for an entire year (I think it was a year, if not damn close to it) in 2007 for track replacement. Just saying.
It was just over 8 months. You can see the schedule here for all 7 phases - http://www.toronto.ca/involved/proj...007/pdf/2007-12_howard_park_broadview_ave.pdf

But it was on-time and on-budget. I was quite impressed with how smooth the Dundas rebuild went. And the track is so much smoother and no slow orders. There's time at night, when it hits all the lights green, and doesn't stop much, that you feel your just gliding through the city.

And they never stopped running the 505. It would just jump up to Gerrard, College, or down to Queen to avoid the construction.

at least you have service when it matters, peak hours...
Those who travel non-peak probably wouldn't agree.

When a streetcar line or future LRT line will need to shutdown, it will be gone for a while...
That's not true. With the current downtown streetcars, there's almost always an alternative where you just re-route around the construction. Or there's a short piece not available, where there's replacement buses.

For the future LRT lines, rebuilds will be simpler. Remember that the new cars are multi-directional. This will allow for two things. One is that they can run right up to the construction area, and then turn-around and go the other direction, and use the next cross-over. Also, the cross-overs (which don't exist on the downtown system) should allow them to operate a single track through a construction area.

Last edited:
Part of the transit issue with traffic is how the lights are programmed

We are such dinosaurs compared to some municipalities. Why for instance are traffic lights doing "advance greens" meant for Mon-Fri work traffic on Sundays? This is one area that could be looked at more closely. If they could really modernize (their software system dates from the mid-1970's), the traffic lights and routing, then an LRT's causing an increase in congestion would be balanced-out.

Back