Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters

I've been working on my own plan for subway lines on Google Maps as well:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...499509425181132370.00044a0285de24508b14e&z=11

Not sure if the link will work, but I also have a base map of the current TTC subway which shows how my extensions link up.

A subway... to the Island Airport.

...seriously?

Well, something needs to happen to Island Airport. I bet you could get REGCO to put in a good chunk as well (would give them a big leg up on Pearson). Plus I don't think it would cost that much, it would just be a one stop spur line. The main cost would be a bridge over the strait, and a station @ the actually airport.

Plus you could fudge the costs by including the subway bridge as part of a pedestrian bridge. It is absurd we have to take a boat to our main downtown park.

Holy stubway city, Batman!

Well, I don't think it will be cheap by any means. Lord only knows how much a Richmond subway would run, even with all of the cost containment measures on earth. The branch line to the Ex shouldn't cost that much though, it should be entirely above ground along the rail tracks. Aside from a few overpasses, it would just be a few stations.

I think.... 5billion. At the very least I think this should get dealt with before Eglinton.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=43.624147,-79.356308&spn=0.358371,0.892639&z=11&msid=113698378265685182514.000453e955001c59f21be&mid=1218162100

Extend a Bathurst branch or Queens Quay branch down to Bathurst/Eireann Quay ($$) and across a bridge ($$$$) or tunnel ($$$$$$) with double end cars. Job done.

How a subway train of even every 7 minutes can be indicated when the island airport can only dispatch 70 passengers on every Porter flight, that only within curfew and when there is streetcar infrastructure virtually within lofted puck range of the quayside is beyond me.

If you wanted to get really ambitious you'd extend the tunnel under the runways with one similar to the Pearson infield access and run streetcars around the island ($$$$$$$$) but that would at least allow the Hanlan's Point ferry to be discontinued and restrict the need for the airport ferry to vehicles.

Don't forget to get Olivia Chow and Adam Vaughan ousted from their respective jobs while you're planning that since both would fight it tooth and nail.

A subway... to the Island Airport.

...seriously?

I think a subway should have been built to the Island a long time ago.

Parc Jean Drapeau in Montreal has one which is similar to the Islands. Of course that train continues on to Longeuil as well, but still!

First of all, Rochester isn't Longueuil. Second, by that logic, a subway or something down Cherry St makes more sense, since that's where World's Fair/Olympic proposals have been...

A subway to the Toronto Islands is truly overkill. They aren't even linked to the mainland by BRIDGE yet!

It's all rather speculative, I could have just as easily drawn a stencil of Mickey Mouse and presented it as a plan. I would settle for any combination of DRL and RT we can get. I just think the more, the better. If you are going to overbuild with transit, you might as well do it in the core (not, say, North Scarborough). I don't like how under the current plans the downtown core wont even be officially "considered" for RT expansion until 2018. At that rate, I might still be alive to see a new subway.

And if the city isn't planning on building new rt in the core, why on earth are we spending billions in redeveloping the waterfront & portlands? How are people supposed to get there?

You don't need an Island stubway to access the Portlands by "new RT"...

It's a joke, an exaggeration, a hyperbole. I'm not getting paid, so don't expect anything remotely practical. I'm merely trying to voice my frustration that the government sees no benefit of building some kind of RT to the same areas they have been flushing money into to develop. It's hardly like this is a new concept. When London decided to redevelop the east, they built a full blown RT network. When Tokyo wanted to redevelop it's artificial islands, it built an RT system (2, actually). When Copenhagen began redeveloping it's areas, it built RT. The absurdness of my suggestion is partially in response to the absurdness of the glaring omissions of TC.

I don't get it, almost every single one of the cities major redevelopment efforts has occurred in the downtown core (with the possible upcoming exception of Lawrence Heights). Despite that, almost every single one of the cities major transit infrastructure projects has ignored the core. Can no one else see the disjoint?

Like I said before, I will settle for any kind of bona fide RT expansion in the downtown core. The more, the better.

I think we all agree with you on that point, which is why the DRL is such a popular idea. Beyond a Queen/DRL line, I'm not sure what else would be needed downtown? I think Eglinton is an important candidate for 416 HRT.

The fairy to the islands is what makes it so amazing! No way I'd want a subway, joke or not : - )

I think we all agree with you on that point, which is why the DRL is such a popular idea. Beyond a Queen/DRL line, I'm not sure what else would be needed downtown? I think Eglinton is an important candidate for 416 HRT.

Well, I figure a DRL (esp. on Queen/Richmond) could probably funnel most of the ridership off of the Queen & King cars. The thing I don't get is what would happen along College & Dundas. Would we keep the trams? Maybe replace them with buses? Would they be routed to funnel into the subway? Or provide e/w travel themselves. Maybe a branch line here or there could alleviate things, in 2050.

Well, I figure a DRL (esp. on Queen/Richmond) could probably funnel most of the ridership off of the Queen & King cars. The thing I don't get is what would happen along College & Dundas. Would we keep the trams? Maybe replace them with buses? Would they be routed to funnel into the subway? Or provide e/w travel themselves. Maybe a branch line here or there could alleviate things, in 2050.
A Queen/Richmond line wouldn't necessarily make the streetcars redundant. Take downtown Prague for example, which has more subway lines and a bigger streetcar network than downtown Toronto. And that's for a city less than half Toronto's size.

If we have a Queen/Richmond subway and eliminate the streetcar, the stations will have to be close together, slowing down service, with the advantage of eliminating duplication. If the streetcar is kept the subway stations can be farther apart to serve a more regional market. It all depends on how the system is designed.

Back