393     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Like subway lines why not have some of the Transit City routes run along side the road or in trenches.

That's the biggest blunder TC makes, especially when one checks out the Sheppard, Finch and Eglinton corridors on Goggle Earth. Aerial photos reveal where in many cases a side-of-roadway trench could be squeezed in (or along a separate guideway in Finch's case).

According to Smitherman's 2015-2020 plan on his website, he supports a Sheppard Subway extension to Downsview, replacing the SRT with a subway, and extending the Bloor-Danforth Line to Sherway Gardens. Looks like SOS will be smiling in their sleep if Smitherman wins

Well, at least Ansem might be happy. Since I was the one who fought hardest for a Sherway Gdns extension to be included I guess Smitherman winning suits my agenda as well (oh the irony :p). I'd trade all of that however for the DRL and a subway to the airport via Eglinton.

As big a pusher of the DRL as I've been over the years and as much as it irks me that Sheppard isn't getting finished, I think that the number one subway priority in the city right now should be replacing the RT with a subway to Scarborough Centre. Obviously this is mostly because of the time pressure of the RT vehicles' limited life span, but it's also because it would be such a simple two-stop project that would help so many people. I'm thrilled Smitherman recognized that the current plan makes no sense. Kennedy isn't a hub for anything. Scarborough Centre is.

Ford has also promised to extend Bloor-Danforth to Scarborough Centre though and has the support of the Federal Finance Minister on his side.

Doesnt Ford also want to get rid of streetcars and cancel the Eglinton LRt as well?
Yes ... and eliminate evening and night bus service. The man has made it very clear he is anti-transit. And he is clearly not very intelligent, as he doesn't seem to realise that eliminating transit will simply clog the roads with cars ... making his drive downtown far worse than having to dodge the occasional bus or streetcar.

I cannot wait for the SELRT to be built. I am sick and tired of being trapped in traffic every afternoon because of so many cars along Sheppard Avenue East with 1 occupant.

According to Smitherman's 2015-2020 plan on his website, he supports a Sheppard Subway extension to Downsview, replacing the SRT with a subway, and extending the Bloor-Danforth Line to Sherway Gardens. Looks like SOS will be smiling in their sleep if Smitherman wins

Yes and no. I don't agree that Sheppard to Downsview should be anywhere near the top of the priority list, same with the Sherway extension. Use that money on the DRL. But otherwise yes, his plan is certainly pretty decent.

As big a pusher of the DRL as I've been over the years and as much as it irks me that Sheppard isn't getting finished, I think that the number one subway priority in the city right now should be replacing the RT with a subway to Scarborough Centre. Obviously this is mostly because of the time pressure of the RT vehicles' limited life span, but it's also because it would be such a simple two-stop project that would help so many people. I'm thrilled Smitherman recognized that the current plan makes no sense. Kennedy isn't a hub for anything. Scarborough Centre is.

Agree 100%. And routing it on an Eglinton-Danforth-McCowan alignment would leave the SRT untouched for virtually the entire construction period, something that can't be said for the upgrade to LRT. It would also serve a heck of a lot more people en-route to STC than the current alignment does. You can argue the merits of extending the subway to STC, but you cannot deny those 2 points that I just made. They aren't subjective at all, they're simple statements of fact.

Ford has also promised to extend Bloor-Danforth to Scarborough Centre though and has the support of the Federal Finance Minister on his side.

I trust Ford's promises to build subways about as much as a trusted Harper's promises to have a more open and transparent government...

Yes and no. I don't agree that Sheppard to Downsview should be anywhere near the top of the priority list, same with the Sherway extension. Use that money on the DRL. But otherwise yes, his plan is certainly pretty decent.
If one were to extend from Kipling, I have to wonder extending it to West Mall ... and then up to the Renforth Transitway station and into Pearson would look like for transit demand.

If one were to extend from Kipling, I have to wonder extending it to West Mall ... and then up to the Renforth Transitway station and into Pearson would look like for transit demand.

I don't think the Bloor line should go to Pearson. That's Eglinton's job (whether it be LRT or HRT)

Back