281     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Matt, I suggest that you look into Moscow's subway network. It is so fricken huge and they still continue to expand it every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_timeline_of_the_Moscow_Metro - continual expansion dude. That should be the model. Continual work, nonstop.

LAz, what are us Ontarians' first impressions when we see this?

TTCFantasy4.jpg

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B5Ni4frCefkOMzUwN2IyMzAtZDBlNi00Yjg1LTkyYjUtMmViYWY2YzU1Yzkz&hl=en

I know I posted this earlier in fantasy subway map thread, but even with these as LRT, T.O. will make no step close to this realization. To match international standards, this is closest network TTC should be by now, planned decades ago. And no, there is no BRT/streetcar/bus ops shown in this map. Looks hard in paper, but in progress it would have been well underway. All these foil because of NIMBYs, EA/financial excuses, unions, limbless politicians, Jane Jacobish-apologists and no FDI in transit!

Toronto is to dynamic cities as is Walmart to boutique shopping.

Last edited:
WOOAAA HO HO HO ! Now that would be something!

But really, we should aim to slowly expand what we have. 1-2 km a year should be the minimum.

My post was only in response to
Who does this? Can anyone name any cities in the world that have had success with this strategy?

What else can one say to such backward thinking than giving an example?

Lets face it. We're lame. We average what, a quarter km a year?

What are you talking about. The entire underground section of the Eglinton LRT will at 30 km/hr. Why are you trying to deceive us.
From the Transit City website:

Eglinton Crosstown LRT
– West Surface Section 670 metres 28-31 km/hr
– Underground 850 metres 32 km/hr
– East Surface Section 660 metres 22-25 km/hr
What? doesn't that exactly prove my point. The entire underground section is at 30 km/hr ... or 32. Same as subway. We've been discussing the piece of the LRT that has the 5,000 predicted usage, which is the underground subway section of the LRT. It's the same speed as the subway. Why are you deceiving us?

Looks like you're the one deceiving your own self.
What? How? You're the one who has been maintaining that the LRT isn't as fast as subway.

Less than one-third of the total route being underground doesn't equate remarkably faster run times.
There has never been a serious proposal to build a subway west of Weston Road, or east of Don Mills Road. Predicted ridership on these legs is very small - far below 5,000. What has that got to do with anything?

These people like Miller don't get it.
Let me tell you who doesn't get it. You don't get it. You can't even form a basic argument and follow it through. Every time you are proven wrong, you just ignore it and change directions.

There isn't a shred of evidence that supports a travel demand in the foreseeable future in the range required for subway. Stop pulling it out of your imagination!

Last edited:
I think once again, it is you whose deceiving yourself. Check the TTC Trip Planner (http://www3.ttc.ca/Trip_planner/index.jsp). According to their data, in rush hour it only takes 26 minutes to get from Brentcliffe to Kennedy Stn. At roughly 10 kilometres distance that means the bus is running at 23 km/h, one higher than the minimum speed of the propsed light-rail tram, and only 2 below the maximum speed. Billion dollar LRT lanes to grant us a mere 2 km/h speed advantage? Can you imagine how much faster the bus would run if simply given a permanent dedicated ROW, signal priority and prepaid boarding? It doesn't take rail technology quantity to improve the service quality!

That is bad!! Building a MULTI-BILLION dollar LRT line for 2 km/h increase in speed. Now I've just lost all support (not that I had much to begin with ;)) for the Eglinton LRT.

The TTC trip planner also informs me I can get from Queen & Parliament to Queen & Spadina using the 501 streetcar in 13 minutes tomorrow morning at 8 a.m.

It is a little bit optimistic with its time estimates.

That is bad!! Building a MULTI-BILLION dollar LRT line for 2 km/h increase in speed. Now I've just lost all support (not that I had much to begin with ;)) for the Eglinton LRT.
Fear not. FreshStart has fudged his numbers. He has tried to deceive us again, because it's not 10 km from Kennedy to Brentcliffe. It's almost exactly 8 km. if the bus does run on schedule and does it in 26 minutes, then it is only doing 18.5 km/hr. Though when I checked the schedule I got 27 minutes in the AM peak from Kennedy to Brentcliffe ... which would make it 17.8 km/hr.

So 27 minutes of travel currently (assuming it actually is on time - my experience is this may happen sometimes, but not often). If you spend $70-million per kilometre, you can get it down to 21 minutes with 23 km/hr LRT (which seems an underestimate given that the first 2 km of the 8-km route has only one traffic light). Or you could spend a fortune and get it down another 6 minutes to 15 minutes with 32 km/hr LRT.

This is why LRT is so good for these suburban routes. You get half the time savings with the cost of LRT. If subway cost double the price of LRT it may make sense, but it costs a lot more than that.

Last edited:
If any of TC to be in effect (or subways in that matter) for already-blown-hard Toronto administration with ease, the whole zone planning should be revamped. All developments start with minimum of medium to extreme-density developments. Current cookie-cutter homes in Scarborough/Etobicoke/North York are out overnight. Lower office tax and fix the spending costs. Make legal by-laws hard for most unions to thrive until they go bust. Convince the feds to designate several areas of T.O. as free economic zones!

And nfitz, $70m/km is really the cost for LRT? That sounds lotta frivolous spending on rail construction!
What are these costs made up of?

Mainly acquiring land and road widening. Building BRT lanes in the same style would not be much cheaper, as evidenced by BRT being built on Hwy 7 in York.

You might want to base your opinion on the real numbers. Kennedy Stn to Yonge & Eglinton:

CURRENT BUS SITUATION:

BYhs0.png

FUTURE LRT SCENARIO (using the lowest speeds from FreshStart's own post):

8 km @ 22 km/h = 22 minutes
3.2 km @ 32 km/h = 6 minutes
total = 28 minutes

Mainly acquiring land and road widening.
Don't forget buying the vehicles themselves.

total = 28 minutes
22 km/hr might be a fair estimate for the last 6 of the 8 km, but with about 2 km from Brentcliffe to the portal east of Don Mills Road, and only a single traffic light at Leslie - then surely this piece will be a bit faster.

total = 28 minutes

You could achieve virtually the same thing by building a subway to Don Mills and having curbside bus lanes on the rest of Eglinton East.

Ok, out of 70mil worth of LRT per km, how much of the portions does vehicles go? I'd assume that vehicles costs at most reasonable (at realistic view). Land acquisition and road widening costs weigh the most (say, 75%)?!!? Canada's infrastructiure (old or new) is way overpriced compared to the rest of the world.

You could achieve virtually the same thing by building a subway to Don Mills and having curbside bus lanes on the rest of Eglinton East.
What do you mean ... there is already curbside bus lanes on Eglinton East; which is why it is as fast as 18 km/hr in rush hour.

What? doesn't that exactly prove my point. The entire underground section is at 30 km/hr ... or 32. Same as subway. We've been discussing the piece of the LRT that has the 5,000 predicted usage, which is the underground subway section of the LRT. It's the same speed as the subway. Why are you deceiving us?

We cannot talk about the underground section in isolation when conditions along the surface can easily affect headways and running times. I'd love for a major snowstorm to plow through Toronto then have you explain to me that these idealized standards will always be the operational norms.

What? How? You're the one who has been maintaining that the LRT isn't as fast as subway.

Because it isn't. There's stretches of the YUS line that clock 40 kiliometres per hour in-between stops. I saw that ode to the 501 car YouTube video in the other thread which chronciled an 8 minute voyage from Humber Loop to Ronci. And it only took 8 mins becuase several of the stops were skipped. That means to travel 2.75 kilometres it was going at a mere 20.6 km/h. And this was the Queensway ROW the LRTistas were extolling as "rapid" transit. By contrast a subway only stopping at Windermere en route going at 35 kmph would get one there in 4 minutes 40 seconds.

There has never been a serious proposal to build a subway west of Weston Road, or east of Don Mills Road. Predicted ridership on these legs is very small - far below 5,000. What has that got to do with anything?

Wait, Network 2011 wasn't a serious proposal? Why are you trying to deceive us?

Let me tell you who doesn't get it. You don't get it. You can't even form a basic argument and follow it through. Every time you are proven wrong, you just ignore it and change directions.

There isn't a shred of evidence that supports a travel demand in the foreseeable future in the range required for subway. Stop pulling it out of your imagination!

Haha, this is priceless. Eglinton at 5400pphpd would already have higher usage than the Sheppard Line. 10,000 pphpd is such an arbitrary useless round number conjured up for the purposes of setting back the subway movement another decade or two. The TTC never concerned itself with it when they were talking building the the TYSSE which is projected to be undercapacity til the year 2031 or later. They sure as hell aren't bringing up the fact that demand will be so low along Yonge North extension that only every second train will head all the way up to Highway 7. Your hypocrisy holds no bounds. It's only when something is proposed primarily for the benefit of inner 416 (a politically safe Liberal stronghold) that there's no real incentive by politicians for fight for the city's long-term interests.

Preamalgamation talk of extending Eglinton subway to the airport was pretty heavy. Obviously it was a viable route back then, when the population was significantly smaller. Now that Richview's beginning to be lined by condos (not unlike Sheppard East), the same benefits to expand subway to that area is there tenfold. So central Eglinton (which has to be tunneled no matter what) and west-end Eglinton both have the numbers and future propensity for urban growth which can more than support subways. Eglinton East could support light-rail, I readily admit that, but if the long-term goal is to stretch subway right across the corridor, it'll be in the way. If you can give a private ROW to trams, you can do it for buses. I have yet to encounter an overcrowded bus thru the Golden Mile. We can't for the sake of those 4 kilometres jeopardize transit across the only through street in the central 416.

Fear not. FreshStart has fudged his numbers. He has tried to deceive us again, because it's not 10 km from Kennedy to Brentcliffe. It's almost exactly 8 km. if the bus does run on schedule and does it in 26 minutes, then it is only doing 18.5 km/hr. Though when I checked the schedule I got 27 minutes in the AM peak from Kennedy to Brentcliffe ... which would make it 17.8 km/hr.

Um, what? It's almost 9 and a half kilometres since Kennedy Stn is a ways in from the Kennedy intersection requiring a circuitous loop into the #34's bus bay. Even if I embellished it's not by much. The bus without a dedicated ROW and with several more intermediate stops and stop lights to contend with is virtually on par with the 12-stop road-median LRT line. That's hardly saying much in favor of light-rail trams to be on par with an "inferior" mode. Put articulated buses down a side-of-roadway ROW with all-door boarding and fewer stops and it wouldn't surprise me if that whole trip couldn't be done in 15 minutes.

You might want to base your opinion on the real numbers.

My numbers were real. I used the TTC's trip planner to plan a trip during morning rush from Brentcliffe-Kennedy Stn as I've stated.

Back