Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
It's poorly written ...

But that aside ... but it's still pretty clear that it would never suddenly achieve double the passengers with the same speed service, and less frequent trains; that makes no sense. The RTES report presented subway demands, and it was no where near 10,000.

Anyone with half a brain knows that ridership forecasts are not commandments written by gods, they're just numbers thrown together to justify what's already been decided. They also know that forecasts can very, very easily be doubled by slightly tweaking how feeder connections are rerouted, how much redevelopment is permitted, how much parking is built, how fare integration is implemented, and on and on, and also by recognizing the simple truth that more people will ride a transit line if it doesn't stop at red lights.

“They’re proposing building little stubs of lines just like happened in 1995. We ended up with just the Sheppard line and, if the Metrolinx proposal goes ahead, we’ll have a subway from Leaside to Forest Hill and that’s a violation of all the people who need transit the most,” he said.

If it's not Gordon Chong saying transit is not a social service, it's His Worship saying transit is nothing but a social service.

Sorry Eglinton West, you don't really need better transit even though it takes the bus like 10 minutes to crawl 1km. Sorry Eglinton East, you don't really need better transit, either, because your 5 overlapping bus routes aren't nearly enough to warrant a change...and neither are your 9 overlapping routes east of Kennedy.

Transit lines that actually move people are VIOLATIONS of the rights of priority neighbourhoods to have money squandered in them. Our troubled youths and destitute single mothers urgently need white elephants like streetcar ROWs at Sheppard & Morningside and the cafes and galleries they will bring. But what if they live at Bathurst & Steeles or Warden & Finch or Dixon & Islington or...? Oh, that's right, we're supposed to pretend these people don't exist.

Last edited:
Anyone with half a brain knows that ridership forecasts are not commandments written by gods, they're just numbers thrown together to justify what's already been decided.
What's your point here ... people with half-a-brain haven't got a clue? I don't get it ... did you change sides in the debate here?

There are those who want to cancel the Transit City lines entirely and build the Downtown Relief Line.
  1. There has been no study of where the DRL would go and type of rapid transit it should be (heavy rail vs. light rail).
  2. No environmental assessment has been done on the DRL.
  3. No funds were even allocated for a study, no less an EA, or for any kind of construction.
  4. Switching to the DRL would just delay all construction for years, TC was announced in 2007 and here in 2010 we are just beginning to start on the Sheppard East LRT, that’s 3 years. Couldn't we build something, anything, while doing a study and EA?
  5. How much would a heavy rail DRL cost, in comparison with Transit City? The study could provide some answers.
Yes, I want a Downtown Relief Line. I would like to see funds for a study to start now, but with the city being short on funds as is, what would you cut? Pothole repair? Snowplowing (luckily 2009-2010 had little snow, but next year?)? Stop installing elevators in the old subway stations? So continue with what we have, and hope we get the funds to at least do a study on the DRL.

Last edited:
Switching gears entirely, going back to the drawing board, only to have your funding killed or clawed back in 2015 by a potential new government. That's long term thinking.

I do wish we lived in a world where long-term planning was possible through sustainable funding sources, but the reality of Transit City these days is that you need to just build whatever you can as soon as you can. Otherwise you're a big fat target for budget cuts.

I do wish we lived in a world where long-term planning was possible through sustainable funding sources, but the reality of Transit City these days is that you need to just build whatever you can as soon as you can. Otherwise you're a big fat target for budget cuts.
If they could get Metrolinx to get it's financial plan together sooner, rather than in 2013, then perhaps we could see this.

Which is why it is better to just build metros from the very start. Yah.

There are those who want to cancel the Transit City lines entirely and build the Downtown Relief Line.

You almost sound scared that such a thing will come to fruition. The whole plan needs to be scrapped. These lines would turn out to be a massive waste - that would need rebuilding within 15 - 20 years. Case in point, the Spadina LRT - in service since 1998 - is already planned for rebuilding over the next two years. $13 billion for slow "streetcar" lines that have a short lifespan is clearly not the right solution for Toronto. Politicians will promise anything to get elected, which is precisely what Miller did in '06.

There has been no study of where the DRL would go and type of rapid transit it should be (heavy rail vs. light rail).

Are you serious?
http://metronauts.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/25year.jpg
http://www.metrolinx.com/thebigmove/lookingforward/5_3_years16to25.html

It is pretty clear that this provincially appointed body wants subway technology across the Queen/King corridor. By their own estimates 17,500pphpd is how much passengers would ride a DRL during peak hour, far beyond the minimum threshold set for subway-level capacity.

No environmental assessment has been done on the DRL.

http://spacingtoronto.ca/2009/01/29/city-council-boards-the-drl-bandwagon/

As a caveat for that wasteful Yonge extension to Highway 7 project an EA must be done, no bones about it. We were very close to one as recently as last fall.

No funds were even allocated for a study, no less an EA, or for any kind of construction.

We'd have an assessment right now if our corrupt city council, of which there are many but mainly Giambrone, didn't reallocate the all of $3 million for an EA to help fund $165-$177 million monstrosities in Vaughan. I wasn't aware outer suburban interests superceded our's.

Switching to the DRL would just delay all construction for years, TC was announced in 2007 and here in 2010 we are just beginning to start on the Sheppard East LRT, that’s 3 years. Couldn't we build something, anything, while doing a study and EA?

Sheppard East LRT, who the fig cares if that's deferred? If you want to build something in the grand meantime start a subway-grade tunnel underneath Eglinton Avenue. It's in TC so we can keep up the pretense that this is a victory for the light-rail tram.
Build something, anything reeks of desperation, like we're so eager to see some form of accomplishment for all these years of planning that we'll settle for any mediocrity being thrown Toronto's way.

But DRL doesn't need an extensive study, which to me is code for "let's pile on as many bogus unwarranted expenditures as we can that the taxpayer will wind up paying for." It has been assessed in so many studies over the years that your head will explode wondering why politicians are so afraid to tackle this beast. There was the:

• RTES of 2006
  • Ridership Growth Startegy of 2003 (http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/ridership_growth_strategy_2003.pdf)
  • Network 2011 of 1985
  • “Choices For The Future” of 1975
  • Metropolitan Toronto and Region Transportation Study (MTARTS) of 1969
  • “Metropolitan Toronto Transportation Plan” of 1964
  • Draft Official Plan of the Metropolitan Toronto Planning Area of 1959
  • Rapid Transit for Toronto of 1944
  • Department of Railways and Bridges of the City of Toronto Engineers' Rapid Transit Subways plan of 1911

All that's been done is planning and Transit City's no exception. Suburbanites, you live in the boonies 'cause the rent is cheap. What do you thibk will happen if you get your Transit City wish? Rents will skyrocket and you'll be forced to move farther away. So you'll have even farther commutes to contend with than the local bus route which was feeding you directly into the subway now. Counterintuitive, no?

How much would a heavy rail DRL cost, in comparison with Transit City? The study could provide some answers.

What we do know is that Transit City is now a $8.15 billion, 51.6 km project to be completed some time in the 2020s. The TTC claims subways now cost on average $300 miilion per kilometre. That would mean reallocated Transit City dollars could afford us just over 27 kilometres of new subways. The DRL route from Don Mills and Eglinton to Dundas West (or Keele) via Queen/King is roughly 19 kms. That's enough money left over to build central Eglinton (Mount Dennis to Mount Pleasant) or make minor extensions to the Sheppard and Bloor lines.

Yes, I want a Downtown Relief Line. I would like to see funds for a study to start now, but with the city being short on funds as is, what would you cut? Pothole repair? Snowplowing (luckily 2009-2010 had little snow, but next year?)? Stop installing elevators in the old subway stations? So continue with what we have, and hope we get the funds to at least do a study on the DRL.

You realize that money is allocated on a project specific basis right? No, I will not support status quo "do-nothing"-itis and hope for better tommorrow. Toronto won't magically go from having tri-level governmental support for rapid transit expansion to zilch just because the majority of citizens are in favor of switching our priorities to a proven functional technology.

How is that a personal attack? Your making stuff up.

That's the predicted LRT usage. They don't show the predicted ridership by subway. Though given that frequent 30+ km/hr LRT barely draws 5,000, I can't imagine that the subway ridership would me much higher. It might even be lower with the less frequent trains, and (presumably) shorter line.

Using that example to say they are predicting the same 5,400 per hour by subway, bus, or milk float is dishonest and misleading. Stick to the facts.

Except that the LRT won't frequently be above 30 km/hr and you know it. Surface sections will operate at lower speeds, some as low as 22km/hr while the present-day 34 bus with no dedicated ROW clocks in at around the same speed. And seeing as both YUS and B-D run trains every 2' 35" or better, there's no reason why a subway along Eglinton couldn't operate at the same headways. If Eglinton's going to be an underachiever initially, we can start off with 4-car trainsets which have the capacity to carry 800 and then gradually work our way up to 6 vs. a maximum of 260 for a 2-car Transit City tramset.

Anyhow, I'm responding to this post because the TTC's ridership projections are dubious at best. Between the 75,720 boardings that occur at Eglinton Stn daily and the ridership aboard routes #58, 32, 34, 54, 100, and 86, plus transfers from other north-south feeders; over 150,400ppd or 9400pphpd would utilize an Eglinton crosstown subway daily. And that doesn't even include bus trippers from Mississuaga, Brampton and Vaughan which could also feed directly into such a line.

Source: http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/pdf/operatingstatistics2006.pdf

The TTC, if they have a bias in favor of light-rail trams can manipulate the data in favor of it, casting all other modal options (BRT, HRT) in a negative light with the same stroke of a pen.

Why not get off of this street specific routes. What about random routes that diagonally appear at major intersections instead....

over 150,400ppd or 9400pphpd would utilize an Eglinton crosstown subway daily. And that doesn't even include bus trippers from Mississuaga, Brampton and Vaughan which could also feed directly into such a line

Shut the hell up man, what on earth would the masses do if they knew how badly they are being swindled/robbed by tramsit city!

edit: More importantly, the advocated of transit city may have heart attacks if this word got out.

And furthermore what of the transfer on Sheppard East?

They don't live in Scarborough. They don't care. It's not them who have to make the transfer everyday. I still can't believe some here defend the transfer at Kennedy. Find me a single Scarborough resident who thinks that transfer should be made permanent for another 3 decades and I'll change my stance. Find me one.

Back