News   Aug 07, 2024
 42     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 259     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 224     0 

Toronto's Second Supertall?

Definitely! Only where in the water would one put a giant tree?? I guess in the middle of the sound sparating the Toronto Islands and the mainland.

Here is The Shard, this 310 meter building is under constuction in London England. Again something with this height and design would look great anywhere in the Toronto city core.

2035ConstructionWorkToBeginOnTheSha.jpg

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2035

Last edited:
It looks vaguely like the Ministry of Truth. Anyway, it seems more suitable for London than Toronto; our skyline always worked well as an ensemble of deferential buildings. A shard or a corkscrew or some Jenga puzzle type thing would just mess it up.

It looks vaguely like the Ministry of Truth. Anyway, it seems more suitable for London than Toronto; our skyline always worked well as an ensemble of deferential buildings. A shard or a corkscrew or some Jenga puzzle type thing would just mess it up.

Yeah i can understand a corkscrew or a jenga puzzle in our skyline.
But again i dont see nothing wrong with adding a couple of triangles to our existing square boxes.

Toronto has worked to create variety in colour on its skyline. Starting now, we should also work on creating variety in shape on its skyline too. We don't have to end up like Dubai, but two or three tall landmark buildings like the L Tower, a Shard or a Turning Torso would do fine.

Toronto has worked to create variety in colour on its skyline. Starting now, we should also work on creating variety in shape on its skyline too. We don't have to end up like Dubai, but two or three tall landmark buildings like the L Tower, a Shard or a Turning Torso would do fine.

I agree I think we will see a different trend in designs when the next boom comes around, with many new Eco towers/Green buildings taking advantage of the sun, wind and plants. Most of these buildings offer geothermal heat pumps, photovoltaic panels, integrated wind turbines, earth cooling tubes, vegetated sky lobbies, roof gardens, rainwater recovery systems, etc.
These new structures have not yet arrived in Toronto, but its just a matter of time.

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/695/

Don't forget triangular buildings allow for less shadow impact. In a city like Toronto, such things are important (to city hall).

Don't forget triangular buildings allow for less shadow impact. In a city like Toronto, such things are important (to city hall).

Also something new that is being brought out when they dont want a development approved is the visual impact that a project might create. Example areas are, Nathan Phillips Square, Dundas Square, Queens park, Clarence park and many more locations that would fill this post. But then again they dont give a shit approving condo walls on our waters edge.

A couple of different designs other than big tall boxes might change the way the city and their residents view the visual impact of hi-rises to an area.

Then again, San Fran's Transamerica has always been regarded as a little kitschy...

The London Shard is great looking project and there's nothing vulgar or pretentious about triangle/pyramid forms.

I popped a 300 metre shard-esque tower into my high angle future render... near the Harbour Commission site... from this pov I think the downtown built-form could host this sort of thing nicely.

torontoshard.jpg

wow i love that tower. but because of this render i want something like this even more than ever. But because of the economy i probably have to wait another 5-10 years for a 300+............

Really nice render though

That's exactly what Toronto needs! I doubt Toronto will ever see a super tall anytime soon, i would rather see corkscrew or some Jenga puzzle building in the skyline over a 40 story glass box.

Back