News   May 15, 2024
 306     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 735     0 

Toronto's own Monopoly spot

Editorial Control
Hasbro retains final editorial discretion and control over all editions of the MONOPOLY game and reserves the right to disqualify cities nominated or selected through voting misconduct, or mistake or error, with names which may be deemed offensive, or for other reasons which Hasbro in its discretion deems appropriate.

Bit of a dis if they decide that your city name is offensive. I wonder what cities would qualify in this category...

Here are a few "offensive" ones you can look up:

Arsoli (Lazio, Italy)
Bastard (Norway)
Beaver (Oklahoma, USA)
Beaver Head (Idaho, USA)
Brown Willy (Cornwall,UK)
Chinaman's Knob (Australia)
Climax (Colorado, USA)
Cunt (Spain)
Cunter (Switzerland)
Dikshit (India)
Dildo (Newfoundland, Canada)
Dong Rack (Thailand-Cambodia border)
Dongo (Congo - Democratic Republic)
Effin (Limerick, Ireland)
Fuku (Shensi, China)
Fukue (Honshu, Japan)
Fukui (Honshu, Japan)
Fukum (Yemen)
Hold With Hope (Greenland)
Intercourse (Pennsylvania, USA)
Lickey End (West Midlands, UK)
Little Dix Village (West Indies)
Lord Berkeley's Knob (Sutherland, Scotland)
Middle Intercourse Island (Australia)
Muff (Northern Ireland)
Nobber (Donegal, Ireland)
Pis Pis River (Nicaragua)
Sexmoan (Luzon, Philippines)
Seymen (Turkey)
Shafter (California, USA)
Shag Island (Indian Ocean)
Shitlingthorpe (Yorkshire, UK)
Tittybong (Australia)
Tong Fuk (Japan)
Turdo (Romania)
Twatt (Orkney, UK)
Wank (Germany)
Wankendorf (Schleswig-Holstein, Germany)
Wankener (India)
Wankie (Zimbabwe)
Wankie Colliery (Zimbabwe)
Wanks River (Nicaragua)
Wankum (Germany)
Wet Beaver Creek (Australia)

Credit goes to http://www.thatsweird.net/facts9.shtml

Hasbro manipulates voting

sorry, but the situation seems really ridiculous - Hasbro blocked listing votes to make their own list - what is clearly manipulation of the whole process of voting...

Otherwise there would be no need to 'hide' current listing...

"My dear"? LOL Bud, you're obviously trolling here. The sudden take down of the leaderboard does support and it and this is not a conspiracy theory. It's a prank through and through and an obvious one.

People have pranked lesser stuff before and it is a great target.

And where did I ever say I cared if Toronto appeared on the board? It was never about Toronto but the huge cut into New York, London, Paris. Three of the big "no duhs".

As I said, obvious troll.

my only possible comment on your pitiful response is silence... but if you have emotional problems, please go to the professionalist, and do not call me a troll, only because you do not agree with me

Here are a few "offensive" ones you can look up:

Arsoli (Lazio, Italy)
Bastard (Norway)
Beaver (Oklahoma, USA)
Beaver Head (Idaho, USA)
Brown Willy (Cornwall,UK)
Chinaman's Knob (Australia)
Climax (Colorado, USA)
Cunt (Spain)
Cunter (Switzerland)
Dikshit (India)
Dildo (Newfoundland, Canada)
Dong Rack (Thailand-Cambodia border)
Dongo (Congo - Democratic Republic)
Effin (Limerick, Ireland)
Fuku (Shensi, China)
Fukue (Honshu, Japan)
Fukui (Honshu, Japan)
Fukum (Yemen)
Hold With Hope (Greenland)
Intercourse (Pennsylvania, USA)
Lickey End (West Midlands, UK)
Little Dix Village (West Indies)
Lord Berkeley's Knob (Sutherland, Scotland)
Middle Intercourse Island (Australia)
Muff (Northern Ireland)
Nobber (Donegal, Ireland)
Pis Pis River (Nicaragua)
Sexmoan (Luzon, Philippines)
Seymen (Turkey)
Shafter (California, USA)
Shag Island (Indian Ocean)
Shitlingthorpe (Yorkshire, UK)
Tittybong (Australia)
Tong Fuk (Japan)
Turdo (Romania)
Twatt (Orkney, UK)
Wank (Germany)
Wankendorf (Schleswig-Holstein, Germany)
Wankener (India)
Wankie (Zimbabwe)
Wankie Colliery (Zimbabwe)
Wanks River (Nicaragua)
Wankum (Germany)
Wet Beaver Creek (Australia)

Credit goes to http://www.thatsweird.net/facts9.shtml

And, of course, you can't forget this in Austria

439px-Fucking,_Austria,_street_sign.jpg

my only possible comment on your pitiful response is silence... but if you have emotional problems, please go to the professionalist, and do not call me a troll, only because you do not agree with me

Awesome trolling... for a n00b

Montrealers hope to land on Monopoly’s Boardwalk

The world order threatens to be redefined this week with Montreal poised to capture bitterly contested territory thanks to an online poll of board game fans.

Bloggers, talk-show hosts and business leaders are calling Montrealers to the ramparts in the hopes of securing a prime spot in a new edition of Monopoly.

“The benefits for the city will be enormous,†said the head of Montreal’s board of trade, Isabelle Hudon.

Montreal was leading Istanbul and 66 other cities in the most recently published results, leaving such backwater towns as London, New York and Moscow in the dust.

The online poll, hosted by toy-making giant Hasbro Inc., pits cities across the globe for the naming rights to 20 squares on the upcoming “Monopoly Here and Now: The World Edition.â€

Voting ends Thursday, when the city with the most votes will take the place of Boardwalk as the most coveted bit of real estate on the board. Second place gets Park Place.

The Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal has gone so far as to create a web portal to facilitate voting.

The mayor of Quebec City even pitched in with a commercial calling on denizens to set aside their historic enmity for Montreal and cast a vote for the city.

For Hudon, the campaign for a spot on the Monopoly board is clearly more than just a game.

“In recent years, 200 million people have played Monopoly,†she said. “That’s enormous. We couldn’t afford an advertising campaign that would have that kind of scope.â€

Hasbro says it has averaged some 10,000 votes a day since the competition began in January.

If Montreal and Istanbul maintain their one-two ranking it would leave two cities 7,700 kilometres apart separated by nothing more than a $75 Luxury Tax. That irks some purists.

“It doesn’t make sense to have Istanbul next to Montreal on a Monopoly board,†said Jules Vautour, the manager at a local board-game store. “They’ll have to rearrange it.â€

Results of the online vote will be revealed in August, while the Monopoly world edition hits stores in September.

–Canadian Press

There would be more than 22 cities.

Example of how i would instill a vote system:

The "Boardwalk (400), Park Place (350)" would be a choice of New York, Paris, London, etc. i.e. High density, "World class cities". These cities would not be available to be located anywhere else but these places.

The pre-screened selection would be made by a panel actually looking at the cultural, historical and economic impact of the city in the present day world to determine elegibility.

Some spot like "St. Charles Place (140)", I would estimate would be somewhere like Montreal, Chicago, etc. would populate.

In other words, the 400 dollar spot could never be populated by someplace like Kyiv. Likewise New York, even if it got the 6th most number of votes would not make it on the board at all.

Basically it's like thinking of our democratic system. Political partys place and nominate certain individuals for a riding. We vote for these pre-screened nominees.

Does it cause "elitism"? Sure.

Doesn't make it wrong though and would better reflect the world stage "here and now".

For worth of land, I would make Boardwalk and Park Place to be Tokyo and London.

August? Dam, anyway if the voting was not hidden - Toronto would not make it - not enough media attention locally.

For worth of land, I would make Boardwalk and Park Place to be Tokyo and London.

August? Dam, anyway if the voting was not hidden - Toronto would not make it - not enough media attention locally.

As I said, I would have prefer a selected panel do the judging what does where. The criteria should not be just worth of land though, it has to have value beyond just value of the land going into historical, cultural and social impact as well.

I wouldn't fault you for your desire for Tokyo and London as they are viable pics (as opposed to Montreal and Istanbul). Tokyo would be lower to me and would occupy the "green" section as it has less historical and cultural impact on the world but I'm not that educated on world culture as to definitively put it on gree instead of dark blue.

As the hobby/toy shop owner says above though, the placement as is makes very little sense.

I'm surprised the Montreal Board of Trade has invested so much in this. They risk egg on their face if they make getting Boardwalk the only desirable outcome -- what happens if they only get as far as Marvin Gardens?
Then the director has to resign in shame
for not laying claim
to the property of fame
on a children's board game.
These are pretty high stakes.

well there ya go.. montreal was in fact all over this promoting it trying to get their citizens to vote. don't blame 'em for it.. just explains the rise to the top, more.

Nobody really blames Montreal, it just makes for a bad board(walk). As i said before, Montreal was a slow riser, it didn't appear overnight. It took a few weeks for it to get from middle-bottom near list to the top where it traded places for a bit before solidying itself. As I said before, it's quite possible it's legit. Istambul and Jerusalem on the other hand took a mere few days to go from not on the list (as in not top 20) to the top which makes them very suspect.

Back