493     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 610     1 

Toronto's Limited Waterfront Dining

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Diners' dilemma: A decent lake view
We ate our way from west to east to find out if there is anything better than cart-dogs on the waterfront
JOSÉ LOURENÇO

Special to The Globe and Mail

August 11, 2007

When eager, helpless diners shuttle to the city and request a restaurant recommendation, how many times have you suggested an eatery on the water? I'll answer first. Zero.

If the greening of Toronto's waterfront is the most politicized where-land-meets-lake issue, the dining along the waterfront should be the dark-horse concern en route to all citizen hearts (our stomachs). Isosceles slices and tepid cart-dogs are the standard shoreline fare, followed closely by thick cardiac fries from the chippy van. Save for the occasional Harbourfront festival offering ethnic delights, nothing reputable comes to mind.

Am I simply unaware of the lake's hidden gems, or are the best chefs in Toronto afraid of the water? I visited six restaurants that boast immediate proximity to Lake Ontario to investigate their options. At each I sat as close to the water as possible; patio trumped dining room, south-facing view trumped north.

Although this isn't a comprehensive list of waterfront dining options, your reporter braved a league of choppy waters with the hope we may all one day dine like the court of Triton, or, at least, find decent eats near gentle waves.

Snug Harbour

14 Stavebank Rd. S.,

Port Credit

I drove to Port Credit with the intention of brunching at the ambitiously named Waterside Inn. However, the clearest views from its Breakwater Restaurant are of a parking lot and the east side of Snug Harbour, a comfortable seafood bar and grill, so a last-minute change in course was made.

A 20-minute wait for a table at the Snug Harbour bar was spent in the company of a petite Caesar, served in a rocks glass. The sun- and gin-kissed yachtsman to my left asked the price. I replied, "$7.50."

He whistled and exclaimed, "For that?" Aye, Captain.

The simply decorated pale yellow and blue interior matched the small-town charm of the restaurant's exterior and surrounding boardwalk. Rocky landscaping along the harbour waterway made for a pleasant stroll; the only blemish on the idyllic view of the mast-marked lake was an apartment to the near west.

I tried the Scallops Nantucket, three large sea scallops served in a shell-shaped dish with a single leaf of purple cabbage for garnish. They were chewy - overcooked or frozen - and dominated by the slippery cheese the menu promised. The affable and attentive wait staff were prepared to replace the dish, but the cloth napkin on my lap with the loonie-sized yellow stain urged me to forgo an attempt on the Pan-Fried Rainbow Trout.

Quality of waterfront view: Handsome

Quality of food: Throw it back

Crowd: Pensioners, families, part-time skippers

Casa Mendoza

2161 Lake Shore Blvd. W.,

Etobicoke

A hard turn off the Lake Shore deposits you at the gently sloping entrance to Casa Mendoza, immediately fetching in its guise as a Spanish villa. Although the main-floor dining area was well appointed, I walked up to the second floor and sat on the terrace to maximize the view.

The city skyline is clearly visible in the southeast, and a grand expanse of grass below, populated by frolicking groundhogs, stretches to a service road at the edge of a Lake Ontario cove. Tall, thick greenery on either side of the estate isolates the terrace, completely drowning out the buzz of the Lake Shore, as well as the loud nostalgic exteriors of Casa Mendoza's neighbours.

The lobster gnocchi was delicious: perfectly puffed with a rich and restrained sauce, then tossed with generous pieces of lobster meat and a few lengths of fresh dill. I adored the meal, but I couldn't help feeling a pang of ordering jealousy when my neighbour's table was presented with an epic seafood platter - a treasure chest of tails and claws and legs and shells.

Service was polite; food arrived quickly. The view was so pleasant I hardly minded the 45-minute wait for the bill.

Quality of waterfront view: Surprising serenity

Quality of food: Catch of the day!

Crowd: Small parties of those in the know

Pier 4 Storehouse

245 Queens Quay W.

If you enjoyed the film franchise but have yet to visit a Pirates of the Caribbean theme restaurant, you can fudge the trip to Disneyland at the Pier 4 Storehouse. Statues of sea icons worthy of Madame Tussauds populate the main room, complemented by a giant shark and nets filled with barrels (rum? gunpowder?) hanging from the ceiling.

The day I visited, the dining room's small windows only offered a view of the starboard side of the Passion For Excellence, docked just outside, so I docked myself on the slightly more scenic patio.

On the Pier 4 patio, you order cafeteria-style from a pub-fare menu (clam chowder, wings, burgers) and pick up your food when your number is called. The no-nonsense staff scowled when I asked for satchels of both the plum and barbecue sauce for my chicken nuggets and fries, but the snack met my modest expectations and would be enough to satisfy the li'l skippers in the family.

The bolted-to-the-ground tables featuring umbrellas were occupied by a number of shirtless patrons, but if you manage to secure a corner table, you'll have an adequate view through to the Toronto Islands, and the water won't be five metres away.

Quality of waterfront view: Partly obscured/pleasant enough

Quality of food: Fit for a

manatee

Crowd: No shoes? No shirt? No problem

Toulà Ristorante & Bar

One Harbour Square, 38th Floor, Westin Harbour Castle

Glass elevators that fly 38 floors up the side of the Westin Harbour Castle freak me out. But the ascent of terror was worth it. Once you're seated on the south side of Toulà, you can see every ounce of Lake Ontario, as well as the islands, Cherry Beach, Rochester and my car. The dining room is circular, offering excellent views at each of the 360 degrees. Thankfully, it doesn't revolve, sicketatingly, like some other mile-high establishments we could mention.

The pancetta-wrapped jumbo tiger shrimps were impressive in both flavour and presentation, looking more like jumbo butterflies in mid-launch. They were smoky, tender and delicious - the kind of appetizer you'd leave your wife for. The catch of the day was a whole sea bass, so fresh it was almost flavourless. Drizzled with olive oil and accompanied by an odd assortment of roast vegetables (parsnips? In July?), my main leaned more toward bland than delicate.

While I tucked in to the meal-saving crème brûlée, my wonderful riot of a waiter lowered the lights and let the moon show off the lake, emphasizing the importance of arriving at Toulà at sunset.

Quality of waterfront view: Unmatched

Quality of food: Inconsistently delicious

Crowd: Hotel patrons, dress-code adherents

Boardwalk Pub

1681 Lake Shore Blvd. E.

Approaching the Boardwalk Pub at Woodbine Beach, I was greeted by the strains of a wedding band covering Outkast's Hey Ya. The group on the patio forced their stamp on Usher's Yeah, Christina Aguilera's Ain't No Other Man, and, of course, Beyoncé's Crazy in Love. Conversation was impossible, but this didn't bother the ladies dancing beside their tables, or the lady dancing on her table (at 5 p.m.) The spring-break-for-adults vibe couldn't detract from the shady sun respite offered by the patio's lush tree cover, but it also couldn't mask that the water is very, very far away.

Your view from the patio is grass, then walking paths, then beach, then beach volleyball courts, and then you spot the lake. I think. I didn't have the energy to make the trek.

The Greek salad was satisfactory, though the olive count (three) could have been higher. The hamburgers were fine - the type of beach barbecue/company picnic standard you've enjoyed many times.

Quality of waterfront view: There was a waterfront?

Quality of food: Improves with each pint

Crowd: Club Med alumni

Bluffers Restaurant

7 Brimley Rd. S.

If you've never visited the Scarborough Bluffs, you must. Well, unless you dislike being delighted. The twists and lumpy turns of Brimley Road conclude with the option to park to the west or feed to the east. The single row of tables on the balcony patio at Bluffers Restaurant means no jostling for a lakefront sightline; attentive servers take orders and disappear, allowing you to gaze contentedly at the marina waters 20 feet below, or the lake, 20 yacht slips away.

Not five minutes after being seated, I was enjoying a crisp Caesar salad topped with the airiest of croutons. A moment after my last bite, the plate was gone, replaced with a pair of gorgeous crab cakes. The crunchy coating encased a platonic balance of sweet and savoury, and only a basket of pillowy rye bread paced my fork.

Post-heaven, I ambled along the paths of Bluffers Park, and made plans to return with friends (noting that, in addition to an appetite, I should bring a loaf of bread to appease the geese and ducks hungrily approaching my empty hands).

Quality of waterfront view: Hidden paradise

Quality of food: Elegant, yet substantial

Crowd: Quiet nibblers

Restaurants likely have been reluctant to locate on the waterfront due to the lack of people historically in the area. With new condo developments and a push for more "attractions" along the waterfront, we will see more food options soon.
The crappy thing for a restaurant is that very few people will venture down there during the cold winter months.

I've mentioned this before in another thread but at the foot of Sherbourne and Queensquay where the tennis domes are, is the hidden Waterside Bistro, which is literally right by the water.

Free parking and a great tranquil view. You'll often see some military ships dock there.

The Waterside complex will be gone I presume when Sherbourne Park comes..

Waterfront Dining Options

Lourenco didn't mention the dearth of waterfront restaurant options west of Mississauga. Sharky's in Oakville was a fantastic riverside spot, a complex of terrace restaurants that had separate rooms depending on the venue of your choice, from button down formal dining to tikki resort lounge. This great spot is now a high-end condo, the construction of which set the Town of Oakville against developers at a nasty OMB showdown. As in most cases the developers essentially got what they wanted. Sharky's moved location to a bland strip mall, making Oakville-on-the-Lake yet sleepier and more unaffordable, basically the land of monied retirees.

Emmer's in Burlington faces the same fate as land gets assembled for more banal condos.

I think the only way towns/cities along the water have a chance to keep or add restaurants along the water is to mandate them, as happened in Mississauga with Snug Harbour. Unfortunately, if city facilities provide for only one restaurant, chances are we'll end up with more pricey Snug Harbours. The way to create variety is to do what was done in Halifax. Has anyone seen the waterfront restaurant emporium by the "Properties"? Just fantastic, plenty of variety and competition. Great views of the water, plenty of seating. What the fk have we got on the Toronto Harbourbunk?

Well said, gibsonm. I couldn't agree more. In the present situation, Toronto's waterfront restaurants don't have to be good since there's so little competition. The Halifax model is definitely one to emulate.

I've been to that Halifax restaurant area - it indeed has everything, though much of it is a food-court style seating, but the food selections aren't bad at all - more like the various markets I've been to - St. Lawrence here, Byward, Broadway in LA. Plus higher-end sit-down restaurants so there's something for everyone.

It helps though that Halifax's CBD is almost right on the water, so it can rely on both local and tourist clientale.

I miss Sharkey's big time.

I've been to Snug Harbour a number of times and always enjoyed the food. I recommend it to friends and it's actually been on our list of places to try for an UrbanTO pub meet or outing. The only problem is that the patio is always in demand (the main reason for going IMO). I once sat inside and they had live entertainment which was deafening. Never again - patio or nothing. At least they have a pager system so you can relax out front while you're waiting.

Il Fornello in Queen's Quay is another one to consider, although again, if you can't get a patio table, there's no reason to go. The food is good (I had the best pizza in years), but if you're inside, you could be anywhere.

Emmer's in Burlington faces the same fate as land gets assembled for more banal condos.

Emma's is probably just about the best view around, but my god it is deplorably run down. Everything is sticky and dirty, the food is gross, and the place smells. Too bad, but clearly nobody there cares.

Spencer's at the Burlington waterfront centre is very nice, with a great casual elegant atmosphere, fantastic views over reflecting pools and the water, and the food is good. Caution, it is a little spendy though.

There's also Barangas On the Beach for the Hamilton crowd. The view is fantastic, pretty much right on the sand, and it's quite the spot in the evenings.

Restaurants likely have been reluctant to locate on the waterfront due to the lack of people historically in the area. With new condo developments and a push for more "attractions" along the waterfront, we will see more food options soon.
The crappy thing for a restaurant is that very few people will venture down there during the cold winter months.
I've never ventured down to the area around Harbourfront in the winter. IIRC, those leaving the condos down there for evening walks in the winter call it a ghost town.

I remember how excited I was by Swiss Chalet opening (at Rees and Queens Quay). Now, Shoeless Joe's is opening across the street, next to Mamma's Pizza.

Back