News   May 24, 2024
 7.4K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 453     0 

Toronto's boom slowing?

This has been coming for awhile. The end of 2009 and the beginning of 2010 saw a really strong uptick in sales in the real estate market from the lows of 2008. With the introduction of new mortgage rules, the coming hikes in interest rates and the HST, the spring really began to slow down. We are still emerging from a big recession - there will be a lot of volatility in the real estate market for the next little while. The end of 2010, for instance, will likely see (and we are already seeing) price drops due to weakening sales. I'm guessing in total, they'll be, max, about 5-10%. Vancouver, on the other hand - they be in trouble.

The downtown condo market still has some good supports for its growth, particularly smart growth policies. There just isn't as many single family lots to develop as there used to be (Oakville, for instance, has really cut back), and so developers and purchasers are being forced to consider condos. As well, Toronto remains a relatively good market for foreign investors. But the market will get thinned out. I think there will be a bit of a lull in new condo launches until next spring as the current ones work their way through the system. Toronto downtown home resales will remain strong as there is a diminishing stock of these homes.

Some people think there will be a crash, like in the US. But the crash was worst in places like Phoenix and Las Vegas, where a combination of terrible lending practices and speculative overbuilding destroyed home values (in some markets 30% of new mortgages we're coming from No Income, No Job, No Asset mortgages). We just don't have anything of that scale here, no matter what the doomsayers think.

Ultimately I don't really think a bunch of people buying pre-construction condos in the hopes of reselling them later on for a profit (ie. investors) do a lot of good for a city. What matters are the fundamentals: are there still people who want to live in Toronto's neighbourhoods?

This is going to end up being a complete collapse of the condo market in Toronto. Nobody wants to believe it. But it's true. I participated in a thread months and months ago on this issue when nobody believed we were going to have a market slowdown. In fact, people were mocking me last November when I made the noble claim that "come Fall of 2011, it will be clear the housing boom is over".

The truth of Toronto's condo market is a little more complicated than simply looking at demand. There's always a lot of demand from people who want to live downtown. No doubt. But you need to look at the actual fundamentals of the market and what's driving the construction boom. And one of the biggest factors is real estate investors -- speculators, rather, but I'm being charitable.

I'm not sure about what the statistics are past 2007, but I know about 34% of the all of the downtown condo purchases that year were by investors looking to buy the condos and rent them out as an investment property. By mid-2008 -- even before the Lehman Brothers collapse -- it was clear that there were troubling trends developing in the downtown Toronto condo market: the price-rent ratios were rising rapidly.

Case-in-point: I rent a 1 bedroom plus den at 18 Yonge Street for $1600 a month, which includes a parking spot. The resale value of the unit at the time was about $290,000 -- today it's resale is like $360,000 or something nutty like that in the comparable. What's the market price to rent this unit: about $1500-$1600 month. A slight downward average. But how can this be?

We can see the trend playing out in different ways by looking at the time-on-market averages for these units with MLS data, and we find that the average time that these units are going unrented has been steadily increasing while prices have increased in the double-digit percentages. Once again, this data points to a serious problem with the resale value. How can the property be more valuable, if there's less demand to live there?

Clearly, the real estate investor doesn't want to live there. He wants to rent the place out and live in Richmond Hill. The renters don't want to live there any more than they did two years ago, as evidenced by the flat rental prices and longer time-on-market averages.

So why is the price rising? Well, cheap mortgages of course! And... poorly informed real estate investors who think they're building a nest-egg, when they're actually putting themselves at risk to lose quite a bit of money.

You've now got a bunch of real estate investors, some young professionals who've bought two condos for instance (I know two people), and are renting one out on an adjustable rate mortgage. That's not good. The market rates from rental housing aren't rising, but their carrying costs are! One of said individuals is already slightly cashflow negative on his property... having to pay about $180/month in mortgage and condo fees beyond what he collects in rent. The trend points towards more and more real estate investors finding their cashflows in the negative territory.

So what will they do about it?

Well, if it gets bad enough, some of them will try to sell the properties. Which will turn the condo market into a buyers market, creating downward bidding wars. Prices will collapse, and the investment condo market will completely dry up which will take about 1/3 of the demand away from the builders. The lower prices will lower the economical proposition for builders to throw up towers in the first place, and the housing boom will turn into either a pause or a crash. But let's not be too optimistic: probably a crash.

There will be blood.

I've always thought real estate investment was a bad idea. I make well over six-figures and I'm a happy renter. I can walk away at any time. My landlord? No so much.

Last edited:
Ultimately I don't really think a bunch of people buying pre-construction condos in the hopes of reselling them later on for a profit (ie. investors) do a lot of good for a city. What matters are the fundamentals: are there still people who want to live in Toronto's neighbourhoods?

Those aren't the only investors. People who buy for the resale are flippers. Flippers aren't as common as people think - the land transfer taxes already took a bite of those people. It's hard to make a profit when you pay a big chunk every time you make a real estate transaction. (And it's a good reason for a land transfer tax, despite what the RFs say.)

The bigger pile of investors are the people who buy to rent it out. These are the people who are turning Cityplace into a rental community. When the mortgage rules changed in April, this group now has to pony up minimum 20% for their real estate. This isn't a big deal for most investors, but it kicked all of the small fish out of the market.

This is going to end up being a complete collapse of the condo market in Toronto. Nobody wants to believe it. But it's true. I participated in a thread months and months ago on this issue when nobody believed we were going to have a market slowdown. In fact, people were mocking me last November when I made the noble claim that "come Fall of 2011, it will be clear the housing boom is over".

The truth of Toronto's condo market is a little more complicated than simply looking at demand. There's always a lot of demand from people who want to live downtown. No doubt. But you need to look at the actual fundamentals of the market and what's driving the construction boom. And one of the biggest factors is real estate investors -- speculators, rather, but I'm being charitable.

There will be blood.

I've always thought real estate investment was a bad idea. I make well over six-figures and I'm a happy renter. I can walk away at any time. My landlord? No so much.

It's easier to predict market carnage than to be reasonable. But if you compare house price rises in Canada with the big bubble markets - Spain, US, the UK and Ireland, you'll see that we are nowhere near them. We're much closer to Germany. Toronto, up until 2009, had an average price rise of 2% a year - which is positively lethargic. (Once again, this isn't true in Vancouver - only brave people buy in Vancouver) Interest rates are also nowhere close to shooting through the roof, and employment is improving, so affordability is probably improving right now. That's not really the recipe for catastrophe.

I'm not stupid enough to say that the future is certain, but, as of now, there are more signs pointing to an orderly recovery than a meltdown. But if the US goes for another recessionary dip, or deflation catches hold - that's when all bets are off.

The bigger pile of investors are the people who buy to rent it out. These are the people who are turning Cityplace into a rental community. When the mortgage rules changed in April, this group now has to pony up minimum 20% for their real estate. This isn't a big deal for most investors, but it kicked all of the small fish out of the market.

Actually.. this pulls the big fish out of investing too... 20% down on 300k Condo

= 60k
Return:

240k Mortgage = 1450 @ 30 yr amort 5.0% interest (Generous!)
@ 1750/month (1900 discounted for vacancy) (rent on the high end)
450 for condo fees
300 for taxes
1000 Mortgage
= subsidize of 450..
and nto all of that is equity...
Very few, if any will invest

Toronto, up until 2009, had an average price rise of 2% a year - which is positively lethargic.

Care to give your source of this info? I see a 100% increase in the average price in the Toronto area since the begining of the last recovery (1996 - 2009). Now, I didn't do any math to see what the per-year price increase was, but 2% sounds fishy. How far back are you going to calculate that number?

6a00d83420cedf53ef0120a7acefcd970b-pi

chart10.gif

A gradual slow down is a good thing instead of a crash which the U.S. has experienced.

I don't know why developers are still churning out new developments despite this.
Any proposed condo development that hasn't started sales yet will be screwed, and those who haven't reached enough sales to commence construction will have a hard time too.
It will also be a time where people are more selective in their home purchases, where quality, location and value will determine sales.

We need some more rental apartments!

Serious, the TCHC pushes out nicer developments than most of the other private developments in the city.

A gradual slow down is a good thing instead of a crash which the U.S. has experienced.

The US had a gradual slowdown before the crash, too. But I'm not saying we're going to have a financial meltdown. I do, however, think we're going to have a housing crash. The amount of money that's been going into housing, which are depreciating assets (despite their speculative price rises) coupled with record-high consumer debt is demanding a correction.

Where do people think they extra money in the economy is coming from to keep pushing house prices up and up? Answer: cheap money being printed due to the Bank of Canada's loose money policy. This is encouraging people to take on more and more debt. The fact that we had record housing starts in Canada at the height of a recession last year, should have been an indication to any reasonably minded person that all this cheap credit was troublesome.

Houses only go up so much in value because the next person is willing to pay more. But that's not real wealth, anymore than your Apple or Google stock. Your house doesn't pay you. It's an investment you make with the assumption that you'll trade up on it. And then, most people don't realize that massive rises in house prices contribute to general price inflation throughout the whole market, which actually is a negative externality we all face as a result of the price speculation.

Let's create a simple thought experiment to show people why the continuous rise in housing prices in the past thirty years has not been a good thing:

Say you have an economy of 10 people. And 4 homeowners.

Jim has a $175,000 mortgage. He bought his house for $200,000.
Sally has a $$300,000 mortgage. She bought her house for $350,000
Don has a $200,000 mortgage. He bought his house for $230,000
Ryan has a $180,000 mortgage. He bought his house for $210,000

Aggregate Debt: $863,000

Then Yuri comes looking for a house. It turns out that Sally was thinking of moving to a larger house that's being built up the road. And interests rates being really cheap, and given the fact he's been pre-approved for a $450,000 mortgage with $75,000 down. But Sami also wants to by the house and really wants to live there because the neighbourhood would be good for his children. He too has been approved for a mortgage of $450,000. They get into a bidding war, and it turns out that Yuri was willing to pay Sally $420,000 for her house.

Yuri takes on $420,000 of debt (with compounding interest. At 2.9% APR he'll pay almost 150% of this in interest over the 25 year term -- about $630,000) . Sally pays of her mortgage, plus the interest on her mortgage and finds she's clear about $40,000! What a profit.

Realtors look at this and say "wow, Jim and Don, if Sally could sell her house for 20% over what she paid for it two years ago, you're houses are worth $240,000 and $276,000 respectively. And this is exactly what they list them for.

The loose money policy from the Bank of Canada has made it really easy for people to qualify for large mortgages, so the cheap money is there.

Sally goes and buys her new house for $600,000 taking out a $450,000 mortgage. And Sami ends up buying a home right next to her for about the same, he managed to get it at a steal at $550,000! (mortgage: $400,000 -- a little more than he bargained for, but he loves the place)

Aggregate Debt: $1.4 million. But everyone is convinced they're all richer because they have "equity". The global balance sheet shows the entirety of the economy is poorer for this speculative buying and borrowing, but nobody seems to care. They go and take out home equity loans!

The bank gives Jim a low interest $40,000 line of credit against his home's "equity" as a result of the "proved market value" of his home based on Sally's sale. He decides to "invest" it by renovating his kitchen.

Eventually, more new people move into the economy and buy up Jim, Don and Ryan's house for about 25% over what they paid, and Jim, Don and Ryan all similarly trade up to bigger, more luxurious houses.

Starting out we have 4 people averaging $215.75k of debt.

Now we have an economy of 8 people averaging: $254,000 of debt.

And this process continues for years and years, and the rate of housing prices and size of mortgages keeps outpacing inflation. Everybody keeps looking at the resale values and assumes they're all getting richer. But failing to realize the rise in prices have nothing to do with the intrinsic value of the home, but rather the willingness of another person to take on even more debt then the last guy.

Canada, like the US, has been aggressively following this unsustainable trend. Worse, the government's act as if this process is the "backbone" of our economy, lowering interest rates to keep housing prices rising, and prevent deflation, etc. But this is trillions and trillions of dollars going into speculative assets. Not investments that create jobs, other than the builders, who'll be out of work as soon as the market manages to overcome the inflationary monetary policy of the government and brings it to it's knees.

Why should a house naturally rise in value? It doesn't produce anything. It just consumers resources. It's a place to live. But it's not an investment. The fact that most people consider your house to be the "biggest investment" you'll ever make speaks to the root of why we're in a housing bubble. And why our economy is ultimately in a lot of trouble. People put up graphs and say, housing prices have been steadily rising for 30 years, so they'll steadily rise for the next 30 years. Which is a logical fallacy, known as analysis by analogy and in statistics and in science we like to say "past performance in no guarantee of future success".

The reason for the precipitous rise over the past 30 years speaks to a the changes in monetary policies by Western governments towards pro-growth economics, which involves encouraging consumers to borrow and mortgage our way to prosperity. Governments turn on the printing presses every time in looks like the process is going to correct itself, and we all breathe a sigh or relief and return to running up more and more debt.

People also make the mistake of assuming that a mortgage is not debt. That a mortgage is an investment. That, house prices will always outpace mortgage interest. But this has only been true for the past thirty or so years. From the early 19th century all the way up to the 1960's, housing prices in the US and Canada tracked inflation. Housing price inflation basically kicked off right at the same time as the gold standard was officially abandoned with Nixon's canning of the Bretton-Woods agreement. Coincidence? I think not. But we're all convinced that rising housing prices over time are like a law of nature, like gravity. But they're not. They don't produce anything.

Take out a loan to build a factory to make widgets, and every widget you sell makes the investment pay for itself. Take out a loan to buy a luxurious house, and the economy is the poorer for it. Why people can't understand this basic principle is beyond me.

Are there any other cities in NA (Or world wide) that is experiencing the same type of growth that Toronto is?

Yuri takes on $420,000 of debt (with compounding interest. At 2.9% APR he'll pay almost 150% of this in interest over the 25 year term -- about $630,000) . .

Brock,

The nominal dollar amount is irrelevant. If Yuri could really average a fixed 2.9% cost of capital over 25 years he could well become extremely wealthy by hyper-leveraged that investment into higher paying fixed income products. A 30 year US government bond yields 3.95%.

Regardless, I agree with the sentiment of your post but not the (angry?) tone. The reality of housing as an investment asset is that any appreciation comes from two sources:

1. Land appreciation
2. Inflation

Forget the materials. We all know that with rare exception the components of a home depreciate and quite rapidly at that. If they don't physically fail apart they quickly become obsolete, ie today's granite is tomorrow's shag carpet. But the land, and more specifically the location and it's proximity to amenities, services, schools, transportation, has steadily and in some instances rapidly increased. And so has inflation over the past 30 years. Hopefully the increase in land (location) and inflation outpaces the depreciation of the physical asset. That is what has happened in Toronto.

The question is will it continue?

My educated guess is that prices will dip back below $400,000 on average and stay there for a prolonged period. It's foreign money fueling this market higher today. How long it can continue is anyone's speculative guess but when it recedes we will see a meaningful drop in demand and values. More like a dive than a drop actually.

CN Tower,

Well, I wouldn't want to own US government bonds, either considering the amount of monetary inflation going on. =)

My criticism is of people (specifically realtors and analysts) who say things like a "healthy market should see a about a 10% appreciation a year". They slog this around like it's some sort of law of nature, and when I've taken them to task to deconstruct the logic of this, all they're ultimately able to come up with "I don't know. That's just the way it is". They look at the 20-year trend, and ignore the 200-trend, which shows that the last 20 years has been highly anomalous for real estate prices.

I contend that high housing prices are bad for the economy. At least the way they're structured now. The government needs to provide -- through the creation of money -- the money for all these mortgages. Now, most it doesn't get spent. If it was, we'd get hyperinflation immediately. But it doesn't change the fact that the housing market as we have it today is a distortion brought about through cheap credit, which is provided through the debasement of our currency -- which caused price inflation everywhere else.

So, the government makes money, you buy a house, and the price of goods goes up for everyone else. Since your mortgage isn't just being paid for by the interest. It's being subsidized through the devaluation of the currency. Hence, our housing market pushes prices up and only benefits the middle to upper tiers of society. Everyone below sees a decrease in the quality of life as their wages and any savings they have are debased.

Does this situation anger me? Of course it does. I am absolutely opposed to the government's artificial stimulus of the housing market, in both the United States and Canada. Both government's pump money out through the front doors of their central banks, lending goes bonkers, asset prices inflate, and they blame the middlemen for being greedy.

Back