News   Jul 15, 2024
 514     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 676     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 589     0 

Toronto's and Province's New 12.4B Eglinton/SRT/Sheppard Plan

I also mentioned that by that point the DTRTES should be completed, so we should have a solid report to spread around as much as we can, as opposed to just a pie-in-the-sky plan.

Yup.

In my ideal universe, the DRL will be built in one solid go. Building the eastern portion would not be fair to the west, as it is denser than the east. I would want to see a line built from Don Mills and Eglinton south to the rail corridor, follow it on the surface for a few blocks and then dip underground again to follow Queen or King to Roncesvalles where it would go north to connect to the Bloor Danforth line. Sure it's expensive, but it has to be done. I look at the development along this entire corridor thinking that there already exists some sort of rapid transit to warrant so much construction.

If people were serious about political pandering for transit, the best way would be a full on municipal political party with a clearly defined plan that is realistic and timely. Any system expansion should be incremental and need-based. Start a DRL line and extend it by 1-2 stations a year. It might take 20 years to get a full line, but it's better than 20 years coming up with plan after grand plan that never see the light of day because they are too involved and too cost prohibitive to our ability to pay.

TTC did have GM artic's. TTC sold 8500-8511 which were built in 1983-84 to Mississauga in 1986. GM drop that line when it sold the bus divison off.

TTC spect's are over rated as well over cost for their buses. There is no reasons for TTC not buying artics now.

The GM ones were just demos, they bought the Euro-American Orion III for actual use. And I agree with you on TTC lowering really high standards, as the fishbowl was no stainless steel bus, yet it lasts 40+ years and counting

Agreed. You either need HRT, or a 4-tracked LRT running express/local. A two-tracked LRT simply isn't enough. What's the point in having a relief line that would be so crowded that it would need a relief line?

Well if 140 million users is a strong/likely estimate, then I agree it needs to be 100% heavy rail subway. But I still want it to go from the airport and then up Don Mills. ;)

From Steve Munro:

The scale of the Sheppard project may well shrink to only the eastern leg from Don Mills to Scarborough Town Centre so that the total cost stays in the $2-billion range.

Recently, I learned that Queen’s Park had offered $2b toward the Sheppard Subway provided that the Fords would allow the eastern part of Eglinton to remain on the surface, but this was turned down flat. So intransigent is the Mayor on the subject of incursion by transit into road space that the possibility of substantial funding for his pet project was not an option worth embracing.

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=5109

Mayor Ford sure doesn't seem that interested in actually getting that subway of his actually built.

Somehow I'm a little skeptical. Perhaps the reality is that a couple of billion could have been applied to Sheppard from the Eglinton plan.

I'm not convinced that McGuinty suddenly came up with another $2 billion just for Ford.

Somehow I'm a little skeptical. Perhaps the reality is that a couple of billion could have been applied to Sheppard from the Eglinton plan.

I'm not convinced that McGuinty suddenly came up with another $2 billion just for Ford.

He didn't, the two billion for the Sheppard Subway would have come from the Sheppard and Finch LRT's, and probably the SRT extension as well.

Back