Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Duffrin is one of the ugliest streets in Toronto. I would love to see it completely redeveloped into something a little more pedestrian friendly. It would be great if Yorkdale and other malls had condos built over and around them. They could be like little self contained villages. It would be a much better use of space. The fact that it's located on a subway line, makes it even more feasible. I wish all shopping malls in the GTA were designed this way. Maybe when we run out of land, that will be an option. It seems like a no brainer to me.

I agree. This whole massive area of North York seems to be an endless eyesore.

A big eye sore but a ton of potential for quality Infill... Its relatively close to subway access and cheap land... Good combination for redevelopement..

I noticed today that they had the back of yorkdale blocked off with huge cement barriers similar to the ones that seperate oncoming traffic. Does this signal imminent construction? Or do they still need to do research? Finally I'f construction began today how long would it take to be completed?

Yorkdale Shopping Centre Announces $220 Million Expansion

10:00 25Jan11 CNW-Yorkdale Shopping Centre Announces $220 Million Expansion
For best results when printing this announcement, please click on the link below:

http://pdf.reuters.com/pdfnews/pdfn...&u=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20110125:nCNWC4933a

Yorkdale Shopping Centre Announces $220 Million Expansion

Canada NewsWire

TORONTO, Jan. 25

TORONTO, Jan. 25 /CNW/ - Canadians wanted it and now they have it: more of the world's top brands available to shop right
here on home soil, thanks to an exciting new $220 million expansion that will add more than 145,000 square feet and 40 new
stores to Yorkdale.

Construction will begin this month and is set to be completed by late 2012, with a shopper's dream of flagship stores and a
number of 'first to market' brands. Yorkdale is expanding to inspire and will welcome retailers from all over the globe to
join the existing 225 stores and services at Canada's premier shopping destination.

"We're expanding thanks to the strength and success of the existing shopping centre and strong tenant demand for space,"
says Anthony Casalanguida, General Manager, Yorkdale Shopping Centre. "Not only are we bringing an amazing array of new
brands to Yorkdale, but this expansion will also bring employment opportunities to the GTA, both during the construction
phase and once retailers open."

In addition to adding new retail stores, Yorkdale's food court will now re-locate to the vacant third floor level of the
former Eatons store and will offer double the number of seats and additional new restaurant options. Including a brand new
patio and skylights, the new food court will also reduce waste by 85 per cent with reusable tableware.

Already certified as a Go Green Plus building through BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Association) in 2008, Yorkdale
Shopping Centre remains committed to sustainability. This expansion will feature the same sustainable technologies that are
implemented in the existing facility, including a 65,000 square foot green roof, which will extend roof lifespan and reduce
atmospheric heating. This growth will make Yorkdale eligible for silver certification in Leadership in Energy and
Environmental Design (LEED).

The expansion also includes more than 800 new underground parking spaces, as well as a new valet parking area.

As part of its expansion, Yorkdale will be making contributions to support local neighbourhood revitalization. These
contributions will allow for the design and construction related improvements to public access at the east end of Yorkdale
Shopping Centre centre and Yorkdale Park including an enhanced landscaping plan. In addition, Yorkdale will be contributing
to the Yorkdale Community Arts Centre.

In 2005, Yorkdale Shopping Centre completed a $110 million dollarexpansion which saw growth in customer traffic and sales
volume, making 2005 the most successful year in all of Yorkdale's preceding years. Since then, Yorkdale Shopping Centre has
continued to grow and improve its capabilities, including the centre's award-winning greening initiatives.

About Yorkdale Shopping Centre
With more than 225 shops and services including Tiffany & Co., Burberry, Crate & Barrel, Apple, Holt Renfrew, Hugo Boss and
Zara, Yorkdale Shopping Centre, which is managed by Oxford Properties, is Canada's premier fashion destination. Yorkdale is
owned by Alberta Investment Management Corporation (AIMCo), on behalf of its clients, and Oxford Properties Group.
Dedicated to sustainability, Yorkdale's 1.45 million square feet has received more than a dozen prestigious awards and
recognition for creating a balance between sustainable environmental programs and a unique shopping experience since 2001.
In 2007, Yorkdale was awarded the BOMA Go Green Plus Certification with it dedication to sustainable design. Yorkdale is
located at 3401 Dufferin Street, off Allen Road, near the 401. Yorkdale is also accessible via TTC, located on the Spadina
subway line. For more information visit www.yorkdale.com.

About Alberta Investment Management Corporation
AIMCo is one of Canada's largest investment management firms, with total assets under management of $70 billion. It was
established on January 1, 2008 with a clear mandate to provide superior long-term investment results for its clients. AIMCo
operates independently from the Government of Alberta and is responsible for managing the investments of certain Alberta
public sector pension plans, endowments and government funds, including the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund. For more
information about AIMCo, visit www.aimco.alberta.ca.

About Oxford Properties Group
Oxford Properties Group celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2010 and is one of North America's largest commercial real
estate investment, development and management firms. Oxford oversees and manages approximately C$16 billion of real estate
for itself and on behalf of its co-owners and investment partners including headquarter buildings and development projects
such as the Royal Bank Plaza in Toronto, the West Side Yards in New York, Watermark Place in London and Centennial Place in
Calgary, and major shopping centres including Yorkdale, Square One and SouthCentre. Oxford's investments include office,
retail, hotel, industrial and multi-family residential properties. Oxford is the real estate arm of the OMERS Worldwide
Group of Companies. For more information visit www.oxfordproperties.com.

I agree. This whole massive area of North York seems to be an endless eyesore.

Agreed, but I think one of the challenges to redevelopment on Yorkdale's land of any height will be complicated by the presence of Downsview Airport which imposes height restrictions...probably why condos were never developed here, like at almost every other GTA mall.

In addition to adding new retail stores, Yorkdale's food court will now re-locate to the vacant third floor level of the
former Eatons store and will offer double the number of seats and additional new restaurant options. Including a brand new
patio and skylights, the new food court will also reduce waste by 85 per cent with reusable tableware.

Where is this vacant third floor and how would it be accessed?

Agreed, but I think one of the challenges to redevelopment on Yorkdale's land of any height will be complicated by the presence of Downsview Airport which imposes height restrictions...probably why condos were never developed here, like at almost every other GTA mall.

Well, really, Yorkdale has no room for condos. It has no peripheral parking pads like Sherway does. It's not surrounded by empty fields like STC or Square One is/was. It's not being redeveloped down to the ground like the Don Mills Centre. Yorkdale has a subway station, yes, but it still needs every single parking space it has.

With Lawrence Heights getting redeveloped, other other nearby projects on Lawrence, Bathurst, Wilson, etc., maybe redevelopment will one day spread to the wasteland around Yorkdale. The whole Spadina subway/Bathurst corridor is the one place in the city that I can see 'Manhattanizing' over time with a sea of modestly sized apartment buildings.

With Lawrence Heights getting redeveloped, other other nearby projects on Lawrence, Bathurst, Wilson, etc., maybe redevelopment will one day spread to the wasteland around Yorkdale. The whole Spadina subway/Bathurst corridor is the one place in the city that I can see 'Manhattanizing' over time with a sea of modestly sized apartment buildings.

Given the fact that it's sandwiched between two subway lines (the only place in Toronto that can actually say this), I'd say you're right. However, don't underestimate the power that the Forest Hill types have to limit development in their neighbourhoods. If anything, I'd bet that development like you're describing will be limited to along major arterials (replacing strip malls, etc), or areas that were low to medium income housing. Don't bet on seeing any multi-million dollar homes ripped down in place of some condos anytime soon.

Where is this vacant third floor and how would it be accessed?

I guess that's above the current Zara, H&M, Home Outfitters area. From renderings on their website, it looks like they'll have an escalator to above People Jewellers, and then another one to above that.

Last edited:
Given the fact that it's sandwiched between two subway lines (the only place in Toronto that can actually say this), I'd say you're right. However, don't underestimate the power that the Forest Hill types have to limit development in their neighbourhoods. If anything, I'd bet that development like you're describing will be limited to along major arterials (replacing strip malls, etc), or areas that were low to medium income housing. Don't bet on seeing any multi-million dollar homes ripped down in place of some condos anytime soon.

Forest Hill is only one portion of the area in question. Lawrence and Wilson and Sheppard and Finch are not Forest Hill and are seeing redevelopment. 'Forest Hill' (air quotes) near St. Clair West station is already Manhattanized with dozens of small and medium-sized apartment buildings. What might prevent redevelopment from being continuous would be Eglinton/Cedarvale since I was thinking west of Bathurst, anyway, not east of it. The Yonge corridor seems to be more stable...hyperclusters surrounded by houses.

Strathearn and neighbouring blocks give off an "over my dead body" vibe, and the Dupont area won't be redeveloped, but Glencairn on up all has a big bullseye on it. And Downsview would be in the way, of course, though the Parc Downsview Park around it will be Manhattanesque (or Parisian). The zone slated for intensification goes from Lawrence right up to Hwy 7 and if it's all built at a medium scale as planned, it will be an impressive landscape in a city almost entirely filled with houses and/or standalone towers.

I guess that's above the current Zara, H&M, Home Outfitters area. From renderings on their website, it looks like they'll have an escalator to above People Jewellers, and then another one to above that.

Wow, they're really embracing their new food court! :)

I think this is great but I wonder about how popular the undergr\ound parking will be instread of structured parking.

I don't understand this argument. Other people have raised it.

We live in a cold climate. Why would you want to park outside when you can drive your car right into the mall and walk from your vehicle into the mall in warm comfort?

Forest Hill is only one portion of the area in question. Lawrence and Wilson and Sheppard and Finch are not Forest Hill and are seeing redevelopment. 'Forest Hill' (air quotes) near St. Clair West station is already Manhattanized with dozens of small and medium-sized apartment buildings. What might prevent redevelopment from being continuous would be Eglinton/Cedarvale since I was thinking west of Bathurst, anyway, not east of it. The Yonge corridor seems to be more stable...hyperclusters surrounded by houses.

Strathearn and neighbouring blocks give off an "over my dead body" vibe, and the Dupont area won't be redeveloped, but Glencairn on up all has a big bullseye on it. And Downsview would be in the way, of course, though the Parc Downsview Park around it will be Manhattanesque (or Parisian). The zone slated for intensification goes from Lawrence right up to Hwy 7 and if it's all built at a medium scale as planned, it will be an impressive landscape in a city almost entirely filled with houses and/or standalone towers.

Very true. I was just referring to it as Forest Hill for simplicity sake. I was trying to make the distinction between the high wealth areas where the development you described would never occur, vs the areas that are prime for it (and are willing to accomodate it). The new development proposal at Dufferin and Lawrence is a great example of what we can expect to see a lot more of. With the exceptions of certain high-wealth areas, I think the whole area between Sheppard, Yonge, Eglinton (maybe even St. Clair), and the Allen (extending slightly west to Dufferin as well) is the next prime area for the type of development that we're going to be seeing at Dufferin and Lawrence.

I think overall that area that I mentioned is going to develop first along the avenues and certain large redevelopments (ex: Lawrence Heights), and over time once a lot of those sites have been redeveloped, it will push further and further away from the avenues, into the current suburban areas. Granted, there will still be some small-scale intensification (single detached to semi-detached or townhouse), but nothing large-scale.

The Dupont area I can also see being redeveloped, but a different kind of redevelopment. The area is ripe with underused or unused industrial buildings. These will (and in some cases are) making great sites for loft conversion, or demolition for condo construction (ex: the Dupont and Christie area, the Chelsea Lofts at Lansdowne and Dupont, etc).

I don't understand this argument. Other people have raised it.

We live in a cold climate. Why would you want to park outside when you can drive your car right into the mall and walk from your vehicle into the mall in warm comfort?

Not to mention not have it covered in snow when you get back out. Given the choice, I'd take parking garage any day.

Back