Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

If I add to the aerial it might look like so...
Yorkdale1.jpg

Yorkdale3.jpg

Last edited:
Square one has Condos being built beside it.. Fairview Mall does and Scarborough town centre does as well.. Sherway Gardens has a few towers going up. Im happy for the new retail but some residents would be a great mix to the environment...

I think someone mentioned that there are no tall buildings in the area because of Downsview airport just to the north.

The condos at sheppard and Allen closer to the airport are at least 10-15 floors. Same goes for the station condo and gremercy park condo on Wilson. Again closer to the park. I assume that would mean that directly beside yorkdale a 15 to possibly 20 floor condo could theoretically be built. The developers could market the location as a premium location because of the shops restaurants subway and easy highway access. As a result they could demand premium prices making it a profitable proposition. It just seems like a idea suburban location to be intensified.

Square one has Condos being built beside it.. Fairview Mall does and Scarborough town centre does as well.. Sherway Gardens has a few towers going up. Im happy for the new retail but some residents would be a great mix to the environment...

I hardly think Yorkdale is suffering from a lack of people.

I hardly think Yorkdale is suffering from a lack of people.

I think he's referring to the whole neighborhood, in which case there's some merit.

Clearly Yorkdale doesn't need more people.

I think the area bound by Ranee, Dufferin, Yorkdale, and the Allen should be zoned for medium density along with everything between Marlee and the Allen being zoned high density. The subway is right there in the middle of low density.

It isn't about yorkdale getting more people for the sake of just having more people. Rather it is about yordale maintaining it's former car paradise with it's huge parking lot on a central piece of land with subway access that has much potential to be re invented from a destination to a place to live. The other malls are in the process of becoming their own little hubs of activity with new residents. Clearly the fact that yorkdale is not being changed is probably due to the fact that it's a successful mall as it is so why mess with what's working. As much as I understand that it would still seem that what has worked since the 60's might not work in 2030. Maybe it is inevitable that it will change and I should simply bE more patient. However when I see expansion I am forced to think what if instead of roof top parking they created underground parking. And instead of a parking lot on top of yorkdale a eight floor condo or hotel was made. Those would be steps towards sustainability.

The condos at sheppard and Allen closer to the airport are at least 10-15 floors. Same goes for the station condo and gremercy park condo on Wilson. Again closer to the park. I assume that would mean that directly beside yorkdale a 15 to possibly 20 floor condo could theoretically be built. ....

It is not just proximity to an airport, but also whether or not a building would be in the flight path for one of the runways. Taller buildings could be closer to the airport if they are well away from the flight path, than could be built to the same height right under the flight path.

AHK

It is not just proximity to an airport, but also whether or not a building would be in the flight path for one of the runways. Taller buildings could be closer to the airport if they are well away from the flight path, than could be built to the same height right under the flight path.

AHK

Exactly. If you draw a line extending out from the runways at Downsview, it passes almost directly overtop of Yorkdale (just slightly to the east). They had to deal with the same height restrictions when they were planning the redevelopment of Lawrence Heights.

Having said that, I do think that some mid-rise 5ish storey stuff would be pretty suitable for the residential block between Ranee and Yorkdale.

I would support that idea between Ranee and the mall having 5 storie condos but those houses are expensive and not cheap to build over.. BUT I like the idea... How about Dufferin itself.. From Eglinton to Highway 401 that is a good piece of land that could be redeveloped.. We are already seeing a Lawrence Dufferin redevelopment why not more?

The southwest corner has a really big spot for a store. What would go in there that isn't already? A Forever XXI? A bigger Apple? J. Crew?

The southwest corner has a really big spot for a store. What would go in there that isn't already? A Forever XXI? A bigger Apple? J. Crew?

If they do put in a bigger Apple Store in Toronto, it'll likely be a 1 Bloor East (which would be sweeeeet). If they are going to put in a big store there, my bet is on a Hollister. Their current store at the Eaton Centre is far from a 'flagship' store size that they have in most markets of this size.

I have always thought that a good way to provide more density while minimizing impact on the neighbourhood is to build condos on top of these malls.
There would be disruption to the mall for construction but it could be managed. Sherway, I think is a good candidate. A subway extension of the Bloor
line to Sherway could be paid for with development rights on top of this mall. Sherway could even be a transportation hub with LRT's to the airport and
into Mississauga (maybe to square one).

If they do put in a bigger Apple Store in Toronto, it'll likely be a 1 Bloor East (which would be sweeeeet). If they are going to put in a big store there, my bet is on a Hollister. Their current store at the Eaton Centre is far from a 'flagship' store size that they have in most markets of this size.

Looks like the South West corner is 28,000 square feet (over two floors). That's huge and way too big for a J. Crew.

28,000 Apple Store would be larger then 5th Avenue's...

I would surmise that that's too large for Hollister as well.

I wonder if a store like Pottery Barn would move to a larger space...

Back