Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Condos means selling some of the land. Why would they want to do that when they can keep expanding the retail aspect of it? Perhaps more office space but is there any demand for office in this location?

I imagine the demand for office is next to 0 unless they create it .. just like I think leasing space at Downview will be a big challenge, even with a subway station sitting right there.

But condos ? They'd sell out like hot cakes ... they don't need to sell the land they can team up with a developer (just as you see Allied do). Seems like a sound business strategy to me. I don't think you can have a full fledge mall with a condo on top, so rather keep these to the edges of the site with new street network.

All very well to add extra parking, but the Yorkdale - 401 ramps are frequently backed up even without expansion. How is additional demand to be accommodated?

Taal, I agree with you completely; condos on the Yorkdale property would sell tremendously well whereas office space might do less well.

Also, I don't mean to be a stickler for detail but Yorkdale is not located in Downsview because it is south of the 401.

Honestly what you are describing sounds a lot more like Square One ... and that has the potential to go down that route ... that'll be harder at Yorkdale with 0 office (well know there is one small building / 200K) and 0 residential today, also a lot of the land surrounding Yorkdale is already housing.

Not saying we can't / won't see some of this, but I'm thinking more along the lines of sherway i.e. a condo here and there and that's it.

Moreover Square One is at least attempting to make it more pedestrian friendly, that cannot at all be said about Yorkdale.

Yorkdale is in a much better location (central, and on subway line) than Square One. Yorkdale can potentially cater to all of Toronto while SQ1 is limited to Missy. However, I do hope Sq1 can pull this kind of thing off, and they have the space.

But the surface parking lots at YD are absurd. In a big Asian city every sq foot would have something on it, and the property would be multi-use and probably incorporate an alternative attraction besides just retail. One of the big new malls in Hanoi is completely underground and has 6 huge condo towers, a high end hotel and a civic square on top (not to mention many indoor attractions a like a water park, International hockey sized skating rink, etc)

I honestly can't figure out why Toronto--and really, most N. American--developers continue to think so small.

Yorkdale is in a much better location (central, and on subway line) than Square One. Yorkdale can potentially cater to all of Toronto while SQ1 is limited to Missy. However, I do hope Sq1 can pull this kind of thing off, and they have the space.

I honestly can't figure out why Toronto--and really, most N. American--developers continue to think so small.

Square One caters to Oakville, Mississauga, Brampton, and a good chunk of Toronto. It was built in its location because it was central to the GTA. It has decent transit access and ample parking. Some of the parking is going to become the new "Main Street" district, a key part of the plan for Mississauga City Centre. It does seem like Square One is more forward thinking when it comes to its on-site development. (Though that is mostly being driven by the city putting pressure on them)

I do agree about our developers thinking small here in NA. An office project incorporated into a retail expansion would definitely provide quite a bit of customers to the mall during slow times (weekdays).

Sept. 9, 2014

Bottom of the first crane has been installed at the SE corner. Another hole has been dug at the NE corner for another crane it appears (not in photo).

15195335341_9ebc547ce0_z.jpg

But the surface parking lots at YD are absurd. In a big Asian city every sq foot would have something on it, and the property would be multi-use and probably incorporate an alternative attraction besides just retail. One of the big new malls in Hanoi is completely underground and has 6 huge condo towers, a high end hotel and a civic square on top (not to mention many indoor attractions a like a water park, International hockey sized skating rink, etc)

REALLY hoping for a LUCKY LANES Bowling!!!! Id also be happy if the Holiday inn across the street would sell and condos would be built with a brand new holiday inn. The Honda dealership can go as well please.

Square One caters to Oakville, Mississauga, Brampton, and a good chunk of Toronto. It was built in its location because it was central to the GTA. It has decent transit access and ample parking. Some of the parking is going to become the new "Main Street" district, a key part of the plan for Mississauga City Centre. It does seem like Square One is more forward thinking when it comes to its on-site development. (Though that is mostly being driven by the city putting pressure on them)

I do agree about our developers thinking small here in NA. An office project incorporated into a retail expansion would definitely provide quite a bit of customers to the mall during slow times (weekdays).

Disagree ... it is not a better location for office development, central or not, though I'd say it's close to equal with MCC, MCC it self isn't very attractive (hence the lack of any new developments in years ..).

Why would they complicate things with condos for a comparably small one time payout? Oxford isn't strapped for cash either to use the sale of condos to fund retail expansion.

You can use relatively little land at ground level for condos or for a hotel (which I think would be more appropriate here anyway) and go up above the stores for those uses. There are more ways on Yorkdale property to make money than to just use the land or stores.

PS And let's get the next public art contribution put towards restoring Arc en Ciel at the subway station please.

I cannot see residential ever being built on this site until the traffic issues are first solved (getting onto the property on a weekend is extremely difficult by car. (let alone holiday seasons)).

So where are commuters who use to park and take subway to work doing now? Even over on Wilson, there has been 2 parking lots sold for condo development. It would be interesting to see what those commuters are doing now. Have they given up the car to get to work and rely solely on transit?

Back