Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Weren't there some rumours that a big foreign chain would be arriving first in Canada at Yorkdale? Nordstrom's, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Lane Bryant, JC Penneys and Barney's have all been said to be looking for Canadian space. I left out Kohl's, since that chain (from what I gather from Americans I know) is more suitable for more "suburban" malls like Scarborough Town Centre, Pickering Town Centre or Fairview Mall.

Yorkdale isn't a suburban mall??

Aside from the subway, being surrounded by highways, off ramps and parking qualifies as suburban in my books.

... but can you ignore the subway? The subway and the mall's proximity to the city make Yorkville something other than purely suburban.

... but can you ignore the subway? The subway and the mall's proximity to the city make Yorkville something other than purely suburban.

I don't see why.

Something I have always wondered about. Has anyone ever heard of plans to retro-fit residential into the Yorkville footprint, something like what was done with all of the condo buildings that now ring the Promenade mall at Bathurst-Centre?

No one in the right mind would live in a sea of traffic. The access roads (and the parking lot) are a traffic mess for at least 12 hours of the day (and sometimes, the other 12 hours as well). The ring roads are almost constantly jammed. Further, there is nothing walking distance (unless you like highways).

Just got back from Yorkdale (first time in years) and I saw one thing that blew my mind; the coolest sculpture I've ran into in this city!

275px-Universal_Man.JPG

Again, I've read about the history and its move, but something like this should not be in a parking lot somewhere in the suburbs. Couldn't have North York at least put it in NYCC? I'm hoping this gets relocated (maybe by Oxford to the RBC WaterPark Place) because this statue deserves so much more.

No one in the right mind would live in a sea of traffic. The access roads (and the parking lot) are a traffic mess for at least 12 hours of the day (and sometimes, the other 12 hours as well). The ring roads are almost constantly jammed. Further, there is nothing walking distance (unless you like highways).

I agree with you. Yorkdale is difficult for residential expansion. The southside borders on single family homes and the north and east are hemmed in by highways. The likeliest candidate for any intensification would be along Dufferin, which could help integrate the mall into the Dufferin corridor. That being said... that stretch of Dufferin is probably one of the bleakest in the city... All things considered its kind of amusing that Yorkdale is so upscale its very immediate surroundings are fairly low rent.

And as for the statue - it may look better on the North end of the mall where there appears to be an almost street-wall forming (Banana Republic, Crate and Barrel, etc...). I've actually always wondered if the long-term plan is to create an outdoor promenade from Indigo to the Bay - the south side essentially has already been modified to look like its streetfront retail.

I'm sadder that that Graham Coughtry array that used to be in a fountain in front of Eaton's has been banished outside...

Just got back from Yorkdale (first time in years) and I saw one thing that blew my mind; the coolest sculpture I've ran into in this city!

275px-Universal_Man.JPG

Again, I've read about the history and its move, but something like this should not be in a parking lot somewhere in the suburbs. Couldn't have North York at least put it in NYCC? I'm hoping this gets relocated (maybe by Oxford to the RBC WaterPark Place) because this statue deserves so much more.

NYCC? I'd say way more people get up to Yorkdale than up to NYCC. I have yet to be to NYCC since moving to Toronto 5 years ago, but have been to Yorkdale countless times, as it is a destination and NYCC is not.

NYCC? I'd say way more people get up to Yorkdale than up to NYCC. I have yet to be to NYCC since moving to Toronto 5 years ago, but have been to Yorkdale countless times, as it is a destination and NYCC is not.

Unless you're driving to Yorkdale and decided to park in the western lot, you'd never see it. It's surrounded by parking lots at the 'ass' end of the mall.

At least put it inside.. There's more than enough space along the former Eaton's galleria for example.

I didn't even notice it untill a few years ago, I never park in that area.

Back