Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

there are a bunch of Condrain signs up as well. They are starting to install sewage infrastructure for the blocks. The land is all privately held, and given that Condrain is doing the work, likely by Metrus.

The industrial uses cleared out last summer. They can get a couple thousand units before the subway opens there too, I believe. I'm amazed they didn't start sooner.

most people on this board support the DRL and only the DRL. have no eye for further subway expansion. Reality is that the DRL and others need to go forward. It's expensive as hell, but needed.

LRT isn't as cheap as people here make it out to be either. LRT on this corridor would be quite expensive as you would have huge property expenses for corridor widening. No way you can make lane reductions on this stretch of Yonge. especially not below 4 lanes. plus issues with unnecessary transfers from Viva Blue, etc.

Maybe just because Beaver Stone moved? I saw their site on Woodbine Ave the other day.

Edit: just looked at their website. Looks like they moved to the smaller 125 Langstaff, just across the south parking lot of Langstaff GO. Woodbine Ave is the new main office.

Last edited:
I think it's 5,000 units but I'm too lazy to go look it up again :) That would be pushing it with so little infrastructure (and the # is for both Markham and RH) but I'd think/hope a lot of the people going in so early would be taking GO; the road access is so terrible.

And, FWIW, Metrus owns all the Richmond Hill land. The Langstaff lands are a few different owners but everything west of the tracks would be Condor which is basically, like Metrus (and ConDrain!!), a subsidiary of the great DeGasperis empire.

Markham's website seems to indicate all that land is still zoned industrial but I expect applications will be coming sooner rather than later.

EDIT: To add - yes Beaver Valley was the big one but I think it's more than just their lands. Anyway, all the businesses there now would be leasing the land and on borrowed time so what's interesting isn't that someone left but that the infrastructure work has begun.

Tory's position seems completely reasonable. If the province wants Toronto to push riders from the north through an at-capacity Bloor-Yonge, it has to help reduce the number of riders going there currently from elsewhere on the system.

Except during the campaign I remember Tory REPEATEDLY saying the whole point of Smart Track was that it negated the need for the DRL. Faster and cheaper than that silly Olivia Chow's silly old DRL, remember?

But now that he's got some version of SmartTrack funded, and wasting billions on Scarborough he's saying we really do need this $6.8B subway before we extend Yonge? It's just SO important, now? Which Tory should I believe?

It's good to know that he knows this line will add many new riders, which is why he's spending $5B on a line he knows won't.
The Mayor of Toronto, folks!

(I don't disagree with his point, per se. I just have no trust in his logic or analysis on this issue at all anymore.)

John Tory threatens to block this subway extension unless funding for relief line is secured:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ion-unless-province-pays-for-relief-line.html

“The Yonge St. North extension will only add more passengers to the Yonge St. subway, and without relief, I can’t allow that to happen,” he said.

Hard to disagree with that

Tory's position seems completely reasonable. If the province wants Toronto to push riders from the north through an at-capacity Bloor-Yonge, it has to help reduce the number of riders going there currently from elsewhere on the system.

Very reasonable.

Very reasonable.

Indeed.
Yonge North extension should be considered a priority whatsoever. I don't even understand why it is on the table for so many years. Even extending Sheppard line makes more sense than Yonge extension. Of course DRL should come first.

It's good to know that he knows this line will add many new riders, which is why he's spending $5B on a line he knows won't.

Stop repeating this. It's a lie. $5 billion is the top end of the range of confidence for the SSE's price. It's not the currently-estimated cost, and nobody expects the price to be that high. So stop lying. Or at the very least, lie consistently and call the Short DRL a $10 billion+ subway - after all, its costs could also rise by 50% or more.

Except during the campaign I remember Tory REPEATEDLY saying the whole point of Smart Track was that it negated the need for the DRL. Faster and cheaper than that silly Olivia Chow's silly old DRL, remember?

But now that he's got some version of SmartTrack funded, and wasting billions on Scarborough he's saying we really do need this $6.8B subway before we extend Yonge? It's just SO important, now? Which Tory should I believe?

(I don't disagree with his point, per se. I just have no trust in his logic or analysis on this issue at all anymore.)

Hard to disagree with this.

I agree with him on this particular issue, but his reasoning has been all over the map when it comes to other projects. I could certainly see the province calling him out on it.

On the other hand, he probably knows their current position in the polls means that DRL funding could be coming and this is the perfect time to apply pressure.

Indeed.
Yonge North extension should be considered a priority whatsoever. I don't even understand why it is on the table for so many years. Even extending Sheppard line makes more sense than Yonge extension. Of course DRL should come first.
Yonge should stop at Steeles to relieve Yonge street.

Actually, Metrolinx came out with Relief Long as the most effective way to relieve the Yonge Line, he's just using the province's agency own studies on the province. He's 100% right to point out that the province's agency recognize that Relief Long is more of a priority than Richmond Hill

After the road tolls debacle, it's hard to say what authority Tory has on regional transportation matters when the province can make any decision it wants to please 905 voters. Still, it would be blatantly irresponsible to keep expanding the Yonge portion of Line 1 without addressing the overcrowding at Bloor Station. Toronto needs to stand firm on this matter. The DRL is no vanity project, political vote-buying exercise, or distant need. It is absolutely necessary for a functional transportation system for the region.

Back