Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Geez. When accusing other people of being willfully ignorant (because they're fanboys or something) you should at very least take the time to figure out what the actual facts are yourself.

What was the actual between-lines operation, where did it run?
Why was it cancelled?
Are there any reasons why it wouldn't be possible to bring back such a service today, and hence why you don't hear people speaking about it any more?

... What? I'd love for you to tell me when and where I accused anyone of being ignorant?

I was simply recalling something I read and was hoping somebody would know what I'm talking about and elaborate for me.

... What? I'd love for you to tell me when and where I accused anyone of being ignorant?

I was simply recalling something I read and was hoping somebody would know what I'm talking about and elaborate for me.

Apologies if my response seemed overly harsh. But when you say "But shh, don't let people know that. They want their reasons for another subway line" I interpret that as saying that DRL supporters don't want to know all the facts and choose to be willfully ignorant just to support their pet project.

Here's a map of the interlining trial in 1966.

You can read about the interlining trail on Wikipedia, Transit Toronto, and Steve Munro's blog.

It wouldn't be possible to bring back interlining today because University line trains now continue on to the Spadina line.

Odd, I remember it being a little different than that, but thanks for bringing up the map. I agree that interlining wouldn't be possible if it were implemented the same way, but with enough trains a new system can be implemented pretty easily, I'd think.

The only one that I'd really see as important is one that goes along Bloor-Danforth and deviates south down and back up the U when it reaches the Yonge-University lines.

Like this:

----|_|----

That way you don't put stress on the Yonge-Bloor transfer point, which can technically be used as a stop-gap measure until the DRL is implemented. This of course assumes the TTC has the spare subway trains to accomodate this kind of implementation, which they probably don't. It's just an idea.

^^That wouldn't work because there is no way to get from the Yonge line to the Danforth line directly. The only connection is the Wye.

one thing they can do is to provide much more service southbound on Yonge during the day.

When a trains comes after 5-6 mins, things can get overcrowded even at 1:30 pm...

However the biggest change I have seen in the TTC in the last ten years, is the much much much greater use during the day.
I remember taking the system in the mid 90's and it being rather empty during the morning and evening rush hour.

The Yonge line really is surprisingly busy during the midday and early evenings. There's always already a bunch of standees when I board at St. Clair southbound.

clearly shows the TTC has grown well beyond being just a rush hour transit system (like most in NA are).

clearly justifies expanding the TTC even more ^^^^

A big reason for all the off-peak riders is how well-connected Toronto's shopping zones are to transit...most cities have connections to mall, etc., but Toronto's transit and shopping seem more integrated than most cities, in North America, at least.

A big reason for all the off-peak riders is how well-connected Toronto's shopping zones are to transit...most cities have connections to mall, etc., but Toronto's transit and shopping seem more integrated than most cities, in North America, at least.

I agree, though I think this has a lot to do with how the developers in the GTA seem to plop malls only on major routes, which makes it convenient to lobby for more transit on those particular routes.

Eaton Centre - Yonge/Dundas (serviced by subway, bus, streetcar)
Promenade Mall - Bathurst/Centre (serviced by numerous bus routes incl Viva, YRT, TTC, and Brampton Transit)
Hillcrest Mall - 16th/Yonge (serviced by buses incl Viva, YRT, GO)
Fairview Mall - Don Mills/Sheppard (serviced by subway and bus routes incl TTC and Viva)
Markville Mall - McCowan/Highway 7 (serviced by buses incl TTC, YRT, and Viva)
Scarborough Town Centre - McCowan/401 (serviced by buses and RT)
Yorkdale Mall - Allen/401 (serviced by buses and subway)

And those are just the ones I know of well enough. And while I realize that some of these more recent bus routes (like Viva) came around after the malls were well established in their locations, I still say kudos to the developers for knowing where to put these malls to maximize visitor numbers.

Our malls are not only shopping hubs but major transportation hubs as well.

plus we have turned a lot of our malls in the little development areas as well.

On a side note, Vaughan Mills is the most transit-unfriendly mall in the GTA

The mall itself is pretty good. The bus loop is right at the front door. The out-buildings on the other hand...

Back