Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

There is talk of possible amalgamations in York Region at the municipal level but the Regional level would still remain. For example Vaughan combining with King

I foresee BRT on Bay, Avenue Road, Yonge, and Mount Pleasant (at least) if this goes forward ahead of the Relief Line.

How ironic that Tory has been working to get Torontonians onto GO trains, by improving GO accessibility in the 416, while the 905 is fighting to get Torontonians off the Yonge subway, by crowding them out. Quid pro quo, I guess.

- Paul

There is talk of possible amalgamations in York Region at the municipal level but the Regional level would still remain. For example Vaughan combining with King
That's a bit more acceptable. Merging the townships into the cities is alright; plus that is also what happened in Toronto in 1957 when various towns were merged into the 6 cities we know today. However the cities themselves (i.e. Vaughan, Markham, etc.) should always remain separate at the local level. I guess there would also be a push to merge Stouffville into Markham and Aurora (and possibly New Market) with Richmond Hill.

Merging Newmarket with Aurora would make sense as they're already connected together, but not with Richmond Hill.
True. I think it may also be time to give Richmond Hill city status. When all is said and done York Region would be 4 Cities, 2 Townships, and a lot of rural land I guess would be directly administered by the region.

I foresee BRT on Bay, Avenue Road, Yonge, and Mount Pleasant (at least) if this goes forward ahead of the Relief Line.

How ironic that Tory has been working to get Torontonians onto GO trains, by improving GO accessibility in the 416, while the 905 is fighting to get Torontonians off the Yonge subway, by crowding them out. Quid pro quo, I guess.

- Paul

It should be noted that improved GO accessibility will work 16 or 18 hours each day, when the trains are running, while the super-crowding of Yonge subway will occur during peak hours only.

And, 905'ers will have no advantage over Torontonians during the PM rush. Everything who tries to board the northbound subway south of Bloor, will have to skip several trains before getting a chance to squeeze in.

If there is enough money for Yonge North, but not enough for both Yonge North and Relief Line, then the funds must be directed to the Relief Line first. Yonge North will have to wait.

Just throwing the idea out there, but what if at rush hour, we short-turned every other north-bound train at Finch? Using the existing crossover and pocket track?

This way, some empty-er trains would be able to service those in-between Sheppard and Bloor.

At least as a stop-gap measure until the Relief Line is built to Sheppard, or perhaps permanently if the ridership north of Finch does in fact grow substantially.

(*edit: every other vehicle, not every vehicle. lol)

Just throwing the idea out there, but what if at rush hour, we short-turned every other north-bound train at Finch? Using the existing crossover and pocket track?

This way, some empty-er trains would be able to service those in-between Sheppard and Bloor.

At least as a stop-gap measure until the Relief Line is built to Sheppard, or perhaps permanently if the ridership north of Finch does in fact grow substantially.

There's a huge amount of logic in this.

True. I think it may also be time to give Richmond Hill city status. When all is said and done York Region would be 4 Cities, 2 Townships, and a lot of rural land I guess would be directly administered by the region.

Is there any functional difference between a 'city','town, 'township', etc. in terms of legislative authority, governance, etc. within a 2-tier municipality? For example, are there things the City of Vaughan can do or is responsible for that the Town of Newmarket is not?
Also, creating enclaves and exclaves of rural land within a municipality - regardless of the moniker - but under the authority of the region would seem to create a bit of a jurisdictional nightmare.

IIRC, this is a requirement for 90 second frequencies through the core. Steeles & Yonge will be built with a north-side pocket track for turnarounds and every other train during rush will be turned back there.

Is there any functional difference between a 'city','town, 'township', etc. in terms of legislative authority, governance, etc. within a 2-tier municipality? For example, are there things the City of Vaughan can do or is responsible for that the Town of Newmarket is not?

No, which is why Richmond Hill is not really interested in becoming a city. It made sense for Markham to do it because they're bigger than Vaughan but were a "town", while Vaughan was a "city".

That will not be a stop-gap. The length of time that it will take to build the DRLN far enough to see a relief will be decades after YNSE opens.

No, which is why Richmond Hill is not really interested in becoming a city. It made sense for Markham to do it because they're bigger than Vaughan but were a "town", while Vaughan was a "city".

Although I admittedly have not studied any related legislation, and am aware that there are some loose guidelines (i.e. a 'city' is supposed to be over 10K), I am of the view that these various titles are just monikers; they use 'city when they want to be seen as 'in the big leagues' and 'town' if they want to project ' small town hominess. Other that being over some rather arbitrary population cut-off, there is no part of the City of Kawartha Lakes that fits a reasonable definition of 'city', any more than the Town of Oakville has any relationship to a reasonable definition of a 'small town'. At least some municipalities have decided to not even play the game; the Municipality of Chatham-Kent comes to mind.

Back