Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Will Ottawa and London be demanding subways too, or will they have to be 'second class citizens'?
Ottawa is getting a subway...in its downtown core where it makes sense.

If they want rapid transit to Pickering, just electrify the GO line, it doesn't have anywhere near the density or number of bus connections found along Yonge North.

^It's because you know, downtown has enough subways, so he has to look at other places that are completely nonsensical.

Notice how whenever Ford says something utterly ridiculous about transit, somebody brings up Miller to talk about instead? Happens every time.

Ottawa is getting a subway...in its downtown core where it makes sense.

Not it isn't.

Ottawa is building an LRT network. Someone forgot to tell them riding LRTs makes them 2nd class citizens.

If they want rapid transit to Pickering, just electrify the GO line, it doesn't have anywhere near the density or number of bus connections found along Yonge North.

Ah, so now density matters.

A nonsensical, almost purely political approach to transit expansion doesn't care about pertinent facts like density, ridership, etc.

Notice how whenever Ford says something utterly ridiculous about transit, somebody brings up Miller to talk about instead? Happens every time.

To be fair, I believe they're referring to Premier Frank Miller, not David Miller, Toronto's last qualified Mayor.

Not it isn't.

Ottawa is building an LRT network. Someone forgot to tell them riding LRTs makes them 2nd class citizens.

Ah, so now density matters.

A nonsensical, almost purely political approach to transit expansion doesn't care about pertinent facts like density, ridership, etc.
There's a tunnel under downtown, underground rail = subway. Also, their LRT line is fully grade separated, so it's more of a metro than it is the typical light rail we're building here.
Note, I said both density and number of bus connections. Since Pickering has neither, you can't justify building a subway out there unless you expect everyone to drive.

Does it tho? I read a heck of alot of Ford hysteria pile on here everyday without much calling out the extreme Left that created this mess

Its all related. Ford wouldnt have such high support in the Toronto suburbs if Miller didn't propose a LRT plan that removed car lanes and added transfers to make commuting even more insufferable. Miller really deserves more credit for helping build Fordnation in Toronto and this sad aftermath. Transit City was a poorly designed plan

That's not a promotion for Ford as he still has to prove his priority subway campaign promises and i hope he does. No excuses with a majority and most are overdue

Last edited:
Does it tho? I read a heck of alot of Ford hysteria pile on here everyday without much calling out the extreme Left that created this mess

Its all related. Ford wouldnt have such high support in the Toronto suburbs if Miller didn't propose a LRT plan that removed car lanes and added transfers to make commuting even more insufferable. Miller really deserves more credit for helping build Fordnation in Toronto and this sad aftermath. Transit City was a poorly designed plan

That's not a promotion for Ford as he still has to prove his priority subway campaign promises and i hope he does. No excuses with a majority and most are overdue
David Miller has not been in office in 10 years. Transit City was more politically inconvienent then poorly designed. I would not call less then 40 percent of the popular vote a majority, just saying.

There's a tunnel under downtown, underground rail = subway. Also, their LRT line is fully grade separated, so it's more of a metro than it is the typical light rail we're building here.

This is the same kind of logic that says LRT = Streetcar. Spock would be ashamed ;)

A subway involves a particular classification of vehicle - it doesn't just mean something's underground.

That's why the Eglinton LRT isn't being called a subway. It's also the reason the Harbourfront Streetcar, which runs underground south of Union, isn't called a subway either.

Besides, there are only three stops on the entire Confederation Line that are underground.

As for bus connections, if the subway extended past Scarborough, the STC would no longer be the hub it is now.

This is why building sensibly everywhere is critical. Unfortunately our new Premier doens't care about sensible transit expansion.

Riders don't care about specific types of vehicles, they care about speed / convenience / connections. You can call ECLRT or Ottawa Confederation Line an LRT, nevertheless they will be operationally more like subways than like suburban light rail lines.

Not to say suburban light rail lines are bad; there is place for them too. However, the public will always be more excited about lines designed like Ottawa Confederation, or Edmonton / Calgary light rail line lines that take the riders right into the city centre.

Back