Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

He's always advocated for the DRL as far as I'm ware.

The point he's making in short is;

Important issues with the 2 current subway expansion are not being addressed (particularly capacity). Moreover, addressing them is not as simple as increasing capacity because once a lot of the other proposed solutations come into play they might not be indeeded.

The timing of projects is likely way off ... some of the top 10 projects depend on others (that are farther off) so that they won't impact the current system ... moreover some of the farther off projects are even more important.

But this is to be expected when you factor in politics.

Just making sure I read that correctly; is Steve Munro saying we might need a DRL?

From what I recall he's never been opposed to a DRL per se, though as I read it, I think he come to acknowledge the need for it sooner rather than later. The fact he's talking about it in terms of subway capacity means he's thinking at the very least a fully grade separated rapid transit route.

From my reading of the blog, Steve Munro has had a bit of a shift in thinking with regards to the DRL. I've never considered him to be unreasonable, I've tended to be more annoyed by transit fans who parrot Munro's arguments without really understanding his reasoning.

"Based on the Metrolinx 25 year projections, the DRL demand south of Danforth is above the level that can be achieved with LRT technology" - Steve Munro

It's a pretty good, well-researched paper. People should read it.

Last edited:
Steve Munro is reasonable and incredibly well researched (I don't understand how he has time to go through so much information...). The one that really gets me is Stephen Rees. Hippy.

Like him or not he knows his stuff!

It's a real shame that we got Sheppard, and are getting Spadina and Yonge extensions before the DRL is even on the table.

It's a real shame that we got Sheppard, and are getting Spadina and Yonge extensions before the DRL is even on the table.

That's what happens when you have to rely on the province to pay for transit....you won't get anything unless a 905 area is involved somehow. I predict no DRL until 905 commuters start taking the subway.

That's what happens when you have to rely on the province to pay for transit....you won't get anything unless a 905 area is involved somehow. I predict no DRL until 905 commuters start taking the subway.

Not that I disagree with either 905ers taking the subway or the DRL, I just don't see how the 905ers would take the DRL. At best it would go to Eglinton & Don Mills from Dundas West. Aside from indirect benefits (reduced Yonge congestion...) I can't understand what benefits the 905 would get.

Again with the 416/905. One only needs to stand outside Kipling or Finch for five minutes to see how many "905ers" take the subway on a daily basis. Perhaps a survey of dealership plate covers in commuter lots would convince you? Or the constant all-day stream of MT and YRT buses?

As for the DRL, it would be a major network improvement that would benefit all riders. That it would be "indirect" for many is irrelevant, though as a Mississaugan I assure you the benefit would be quite direct for the populous west end that never seems to get the mindshare it deserves, especially when it comes to transit planning.

Commuters from the 905, taking the subway? That's crazy talk.

That's what happens when you have to rely on the province to pay for transit....you won't get anything unless a 905 area is involved somehow.

That explains Transit City. The 905 must be involved somehow.

I predict no DRL until 905 commuters start taking the subway.

Perhaps if the 905 transit systems started providing service the subway, then 905ers will use it.

They are. Pretty much every Transit City line has the provision to be extended into neighbouring regions.

I know York Region wants to see the Don Mills and Jane LRTs extended but they had to put that on the table. Toronto didn't ask, "Hey, wanna get in on this action to impress Metrolinx?"

Their plan ended at Steeles and I don't know they made any other provisions beyond accepting the reality someone else could make it longer, if they wanted. It's Transit CITY, not Transit REGION. As ever, TTC is just a wee bit parochial, IMHO.

Back