Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

Which of the apartment buildings on that block are considered part of YEC? Is it just the one on the northeast corner, or is the Stalinesque tower on the northwest corner included as well?

411 Duplex has an entrance/exit directly in to the mall, so I know that is part of the complex. Not sure about the one on Orchard View, but looking at the photo ProjectEnd posted, I think it is a safe bet it is as well.

Which of the apartment buildings on that block are considered part of YEC? Is it just the one on the northeast corner, or is the Stalinesque tower on the northwest corner included as well?

Both apartment buildings are part of YEC. The whole place was built at the same time. Only the small building at the corner of Eglinton & Duplex is not part of the complex. Guess they were the sole holdouts when Greenwin assembled the block. Greenwin had just come off a very successful land assembly close by at at Davisville-Yonge.

April 18

Shot at 5 am
17213135356_69d603bbc4_b.jpg

17051326658_1d96eacdbd_b.jpg

I don't mind the cube. I actually think it meets the street somewhat well and is a decent mass. The cladding is a unfortunate but the biggest mess is the fact that there are now so many different pastiche architecture periods in one complex that the entire thing is a hot hot mess. You have the original brutalist 70's concrete (which for the record the bay window pop-outs that were on the second floor where the Keg and Eaton's were, are, IMO, a nice flourish), you then had the 90's/millenial PoMO futurist Blade Runner extension (oHHH a spherical wheel on top of a movie theatre) and now you have a mid naughts Big Box square on the corner.

The Yonge Frankenstein Centre ladies and gentlemen.

I think they must be testing the screens with a sample ad. Image looks pretty crisp. They ran the same one on the other screen as well.

17303432582_f4d11496d4_b.jpg

17119056589_a268ed6a04_b.jpg

17305281055_7ee5591df7_b.jpg

17279313146_b5491a5633_b.jpg

16682811784_28d8e2ecbf_b.jpg

Last edited:
The original complex was horrible, but the renovation seems like lipstick on a pig.

Worked in YEC for 2.5 years, didn't think that the intersection couldn't get any more depressing, and yet... yikes.

Back