Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

Can we all just agree that Riocan is a close second to Pizza Pizza on being the cause of the biggest blights on this city?

Really??

It's just what it looks like.....an unholy mess.

The only thing that can be done is treat it like a Dundas Square and have all kinds of flashing lights/screens/adverts to distract you from the...um..."architecture". I find it strange that Silvercity installed those big elaborate neon sculptures, and don't turn them on (although I seem to recall people complaining way back when they installed them).

Yes...really. It was an observation. Do you have to be consistently obnoxious? Every post from you is either rude or overly prickish sounding. We aren't all interested in wasting our time arguing with people online. Anyways...

Everything looks like "an unholy mess" when it is under construction. Also this was never meant, from what I can tell, to be an architectural marvel. It was meant as an upgrade and expansion of an old dreary underground mall. I thought I saw some wood paneling in the plans and was looking forward to at least that part, but that may not be the case. Trying to look at it positively. I do like the idea of the rooftop bar or restaurant area overlooking the intersection. Could probably sit there for hours watching E condos being built, and the other high rises that are coming to the intersection area.

Last edited:
This would probably have looked far better if the original plan of re-cladding the towers went ahead as well. As it stands, the finished podium addition is going to look very much out of keeping with the rest of the structure.

This would probably have looked far better if the original plan of re-cladding the towers went ahead as well. As it stands, the finished podium addition is going to look very much out of keeping with the rest of the structure.

Is the office floors addition and re-cladding not being done as a phase 2 at some point?

As I understand it, these plans are on indefinite hold -- someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to provide more detail.

Oh, that's too bad. That said, I may be one of the only people who doesn't mind the current office buildings the way they are. I did however grow up a few blocks north, so perhaps my appreciation for them is strictly for nostalgic reasons.

Today:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2541.JPG
    IMG_2541.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_2546.JPG
    IMG_2546.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 792
It certainly looked nothing like the rendering - and as a glass structure it is unusually overbearing. Pretty awful. And knowing this end product, I know I wouldn't trust them to reclad those towers for sure.

AoD

Last edited:
Well... I hope its practical uses surpasses it's aesthetic qualities.

edit:
Anyone miss the little square that was taken away for this ugly thing?

Hmm... that little square was not a very good use of space to begin with. RioCan and crappy design and uses goes back generations it appears.

Hopefully the redevelopment of the TTC lands will provide the intersection with a quality public space.

Last edited:

Back