Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

Sept 15
9819979996_f27f993d62_b.jpg

9819983446_888e2dc908_b.jpg

9819962804_904e38a540_b.jpg

9820061763_343e02b441_b.jpg

I really wonder how the cube is going to look if the rest of the building isn't reclad. The cube is aggressively glass and steel, especially where it meets the tower, and totally out of keeping with the aesthetic of the current building exterior. Just looking at the database shots really suggests that without the continuation of the glass cladding up the tower, the cube will look like a weird, clashing afterthought.

I really wonder how the cube is going to look if the rest of the building isn't reclad. The cube is aggressively glass and steel, especially where it meets the tower, and totally out of keeping with the aesthetic of the current building exterior. Just looking at the database shots really suggests that without the continuation of the glass cladding up the tower, the cube will look like a weird, clashing afterthought.

It already kinda looks like Frankenstein. The late 90's street level renos (Indigo, Pharma Plus and HMV/Urban Outfitters) made NO attempt to fit in with the concrete brutalism of the original construction. Instead it sort of added a late nineties pomo meets futurisitc (the weird ball by the Silver City) Googie type pastiche.

May as well call this the Yonge and Eglinton Frankenstein Building.

I expect it's going to wind up looking like 150 Bloor West: jarring, unless you're a person who never, ever looks above eye-level.

…so, they're just installing the cheapest, crappiest-possible florescent backlit signs? Phabulous.

Please someone tell me that's temporary.

Last edited:
I was about to say the same thing. Talk about ruining an otherwise sleek looking corner.
And not for anything, but this is Y/E. I think a more trendy restaurant/bar than the 'Pickle Barrel' would have been better suited there.

Back