Toronto X2 Condominiums | 160.93m | 49s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the tower should be on the east side of the property (will be flush on jarvis) and that the podium and amenity area will be on the west side of the property. That is at least my interpretation of the drawings with the north exposure.

Does anyone see what I see?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the tower should be on the east side of the property (will be flush on jarvis) and that the podium and amenity area will be on the west side of the property. That is at least my interpretation of the drawings with the north exposure.

Does anyone see what I see?

The tower is offset to the west so that it is not directly across the street from X windows, so Wylie got it right.

Wow, I may love this building even more than the X condos. It's exciting to watch the transformation of Charles street from a middling side street to an architecturally-dignified highrise canyon.

It's a pleasant surprise to see the tower is set back from Jarvis, protecting north and south views for residents of both the X Condo and the new building.

Thinking caps on! What other ground floor retail development has the same area as the one proposed? (i.e., 1037 square metres). That's roughly 33 metres by 33 metres. A school classroom is about 9 m by 9 m, so it's under 4 classrooms by 4 classrooms. It seems smaller than the NoFrills on Sherbourne.

I always found that building quite satisfying. I'll be sorry to see it go. It was originally a branch of the Bank of Nova Scotia.

I also found it quite satisfying but often found myself always wishing for more... Badaboom:p

Looks like exploratory drilling in the parking lot just west of the Pizza Pizza HQ building on Saturday, Sep. 13, 2008.

2854545461_d9dce15141.jpg

That is the case with many projects right now - they've put the next phase of the development across the street on hold.

It's the same developer, Great Gulf & a partner. Proposal is a 7 storey podium with retail at grade and 37 storeys on top with 465 units.

Great Gulf's put this on hold huh? interesting ~

We're going to see more developers trying to clear remaining inventory in existing projects prior to launching sales on new projects. The length of delay in launching this particular project will really depend on where the market goes the next few months.

City Planning Final Report

Report recommending approval for Great Gulf's 44s proposal, to be considered by Toronto + East York Community Council on January 13 2009

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-17754.pdf

although this got through the approval process, I don't suppose we will see this on the market until the market picks up again ~ :rolleyes:

Good thing is when they are ready, they can jump right into it and maybe beat some others who start up when things improve.

:(
Report recommending approval for Great Gulf's 44s proposal, to be considered by Toronto + East York Community Council on January 13 2009

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-17754.pdf

although this got through the approval process, I don't suppose we will see this on the market until the market picks up again ~ :rolleyes:

Once it gets approved, does that mean the developer MUST build EXACTLY as described in the proposal?

I'm hoping with an economic downturn, prices will go back down and we will return to larger suites; :D
and I noticed that there were no bachelors or 3 bedroom units for this project. :(

They do not have build exactly what's proposed as long as such requirements presrcibed in the by-law are satisfied such as max. height and density, etc. Since a site plan application has not been approved yet the floor layouts can change to accomodate different size units. However, if that is done and you have more 3 bedroom and bachelor units and less 1 and 2 bedroom units, then that changes the amount of parking required based on the formula in the zoning by-law (and outlined in the staff report). If the change in unit types results in less (or more) parking spaces required, then a minor variance application may be required.

Changes can be made but the more changes that are made whether they are big or small only adds to the total costs of the development. The increase in these 'soft' costs can be small or large and depending on how much extra it works out to be may not be worth it if they are expecting a minimum return on their investment. They could still make the changes and meet their expected return, but that would mean more $/sf since the overall GFA hasn't changed. Of course construction costs may come down and fewer units would require less appliances and balance it out, granted soft costs are significantly less than hard (construction) costs.

So basically, some changes can be made, but the feasibility analysis was (probably) done well before the application was submitted where they would have looked at various options with different number and types of units. But given they are sitting on this for now, they might decide to adjust their analysis based on changing market conditions.

Back