Toronto X2 Condominiums | 160.93m | 49s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

This is so f'ing stupid.

The same thing happened in June on Duncan south of Pearl. Why are we parceling off small pieces of our road network to be named after prominent locals? I'm all for naming the odd thing after a worthy donors/patron etc., but why are we allowing this sort of tacit, sycophantic pandering to encroach on something functional like the street grid?

Ri-f'ing-diculous.

Good question.... who pays for the name change, is it the taxpayer, or are they getting money from the Rogers empire. I doubt that this money hungry city is doing this for free.:confused: signs cost money

Why can't they just do this?

moses.jpg

It's beyond me why Ed Mirvish Way and Ted Rogers Way were not a simple honorary nicknaming the way that Moses Znaimer Way is above, or Johnny Lombardi Way is up on College Street in Little Italy. Maybe because they have ends of roads they feel they can go that extra mile. I would rather just see hte hononary designations, like Moses Znaimer Way, as above.

I can tell you that mapmakers will not be happy jamming those names on to short stretches of road.

This is so f'ing stupid.

The same thing happened in June on Duncan south of Pearl. Why are we parceling off small pieces of our road network to be named after prominent locals? I'm all for naming the odd thing after a worthy donors/patron etc., but why are we allowing this sort of tacit, sycophantic pandering to encroach on something functional like the street grid?

Ri-f'ing-diculous.

I dont think there is anything wrong with it. Drive down that part of Jarvis and you will notice that Jarvis physically terminates where Mt. Pleasant begins. Only one lane continues north to Bloor while the rest of Jarvis joins with Mt. Pleasant. Mt. Pleasant is a more appropriate terminus for Jarvis than Bloor because of this.

I dont think there is anything wrong with it. Drive down that part of Jarvis and you will notice that Jarvis physically terminates where Mt. Pleasant begins. Only one lane continues north to Bloor while the rest of Jarvis joins with Mt. Pleasant. Mt. Pleasant is a more appropriate terminus for Jarvis than Bloor because of this.

Jarvis Street doesn't terminate at Charles E./Mt. Pleasant, it reduces from five lanes to four lanes up to Bloor Street.

I'd prefer we go the extra mile and rename entire streets with the names of famous Torontonians and Canadians. But not for Ted Rogers.

I agree fully... and to start, how come there is no major important road called "Terry Fox Avenue". Ottawa has one, but not Canada's largest city?! It is sad that we name streets after capitalist symbols, and ignore the people who truly made a difference in Canadians lives.

I'd prefer we go the extra mile and rename entire streets with the names of famous Torontonians and Canadians. But not for Ted Rogers.

Eehhh Rogers, Rogers... how much money I have given you over the years /15, but who's counting/, for 2 cell phones and cable. How many times I had to call and complain for being overcharged,....

how come there is no major important road called "Terry Fox Avenue".?! It is sad that we name streets after capitalist symbols, and ignore the people who truly made a difference in Canadians lives.

Yes, I agree, "Terry Fox Avenue" would be nice, would remind people about him and bring up possitive feelings in everyone. The people who are working and sacrificing themselves for the benefit of others deserve more recognition. I admire Ted Rogers for his abilities to make so much money, but would prefer not to have street named after him.

I certainly think we should give more priority to our creative community than to our business sector when we name streets - Tomson Highway Highway, maybe?

I agree fully... and to start, how come there is no major important road called "Terry Fox Avenue". Ottawa has one, but not Canada's largest city?! It is sad that we name streets after capitalist symbols, and ignore the people who truly made a difference in Canadians lives.

perhaps they should rename Sherbourne St. to Terry Fox Avenue as his image projects hope and inspiration ... something Sherbourne St. desperately needs.

perhaps they should rename Sherbourne St. to Terry Fox Avenue as his image projects hope and inspiration ... something Sherbourne St. desperately needs.

I think University Avenue is more fitting for Terry Fox. With all the Hospitals, Research Centres and Princess Margaret Hospital which I am sure has benefited from all the millions that have been raised in his name. University Avenue is the epitome of the hope he envisioned.

Though I doubt Toronto would go for the change.

Lol, I think it is funny all this talk about a street name that does not even affect the address of X2. Maybe this should have another thread?

Can we move this talk of street names somewhere else? It's somehow managing to derail three threads simultaneously: X, X2, and Couture

Back