Toronto Women's College Hospital | 70.1m | 10s | P.E.B.

Do recall we lost the Bell Wing at TGH about 10 years ago - the preservation of the original TGH is an anomaly thanks to the MaRS project.

Next up is the Deco East General building - and personally I am most concerned about St. Mike's.

taal:

I think the second phase is happening after the demo is complete - can't say it's that impressive. On the brighter side, there will be an open space on the site.

AoD

Last edited:
taal:

I think the second phase is happening after the demo is complete - can't say it's that impressive. On the brighter side, there will be an open space on the site.

AoD

Ah right, sorry I meant 3rd phase ; ), in the future.

taal:

I haven't seen the final phasing plan - but the early ones suggests vertical expansion - you might be getting more of the same.

AoD

taal:

I haven't seen the final phasing plan - but the early ones suggests vertical expansion - you might be getting more of the same.

AoD

Ah, gotcha, I may be incorrect.

Not that I like what's being constructed here, but it's understandable that this outdated (technologically speaking, not stylistically or heritage-value-speaking) building is being felled. Medical buildings are like computers - one could technically use a 486 with Windows 95 today just as doctors and nurses can use buildings from 70 or 80 years ago - but in both cases, it makes even the simplest tasks that much more difficult. And in a field like patient care where the quality of service (keeping people alive) trumps the value of the building (again, beautiful structure, unfortunate circumstance) it becomes sort of obvious that the original WCH would not be long for this world.

What would you do arvelo? Increase all of floor heights by two to three feet as per the current standard? Cannibalize it to install necessary electrical and fiber-optic infrastructure? 'Historically destructive' yes, but only as a facet of a far more complex problem.

I think they shouldn't be allowed to destroy such a big old building because of the loss of heritage and the sheer wastefulness of demolishing such a giant structure. If the hospital really can't use it at all (which I can't fathom), they should have to sell it to someone else. There must be something it can be used for, such as offices, condominiums, etc. What bothers me most is that they're not even replacing the density of the structure with a bigger and (putatively) better one; it's like bulldozing it just for fun. I don't understand it. Why are they allowed to do this? Obviously our heritage designation process is enormously inadequate if this is allowed to happen so ostensibly easily.

(By the way, my first name is Alexander; I have two last names, Arvelo McQuaig [though I can see how ambiguity would arise from my username])

Last edited:
I think they shouldn't be allowed to destroy such a big old building because of the loss of heritage and the sheer wastefulness of demolishing such a giant structure. If the hospital really can't use it at all (which I can't fathom), they should have to sell it to someone else. There must be something it can be used for, such as offices, condominiums, etc. What bothers me most is that they're not even replacing the density of the structure with a bigger and (putatively) better one; it's like bulldozing it just for fun. I don't understand it. Why are they allowed to do this? Obviously our heritage designation process is enormously inadequate if this is allowed to happen so ostensibly easily.

(By the way, my first name is Alexander; I have two last names, Arvelo McQuaig [though I can see how ambiguity would arise from my username])

Nice to meet you Alexander, apologies for the earlier confusion.

A loss though it surely is, remember, it's being destroyed because it no longer functions efficiently in the role for which it was designed. It's hardly a case of 'bulldozing it just for fun' (I understand you were likely being tongue-in-cheek here). As WCH owns the building, it's really theirs to do what they like - no one can make them sell it even convert it if another use can be found. It's less a case of toothless heritage laws than a Canadian's right to freedom from undue expropriation.

Again, I'll liken it to the personal computer situation. If you were using an outdated machine and wanted to replace it to better serve your needs, you would likely price a few things out, then make the move. Now imagine that same scenario except you now aren't allowed to simply replace your old computer, but instead have to sell both the computer and the office in which it is housed, then have to purchase a new office and computer at a distant location and continue your business there. Doesn't seem particularly fair, does it?

Am I happy WCH is being dismantled? Surely not, but it's important to remember why this is the case (even if just to soften the blow a little).

Losing the building itself is certainly regrettable but I think the location compounds the anger, for myself anyway. Most of the surrounding office and institutional buildings are - for lack of a better word - dignified and leave you a bit in awe of eras gone by as you walk around. The first phase of this project has already started to erode that feeling as it's so jarring and clearly not comparable in design or materials. It is closer to Bay Street which is already full of mediocre buildings but it seems like a creeping destruction of one of the best parts of the city.

That may sound a bit sensationalist, but I think more importance should have been given to the surroundings and the buildings themselves when this whole plan was drawn up. If this absolutely had to come down, something more sympathetic should have taken its place. And don't tell me we can't/won't spend extra on healthcare facilities, it happens all the time. See Bridgepoint and CAMH for recent examples.

Last edited:
At the very least, they should have used red brick. I found the publicity extolling the femininity of the hospital a bit ironic (focus groups on the design, use of curves, etc.) considering how unabashedly masculine the building turned out to be.

AoD

Not that I like what's being constructed here, but it's understandable that this outdated (technologically speaking, not stylistically or heritage-value-speaking) building is being felled. Medical buildings are like computers - one could technically use a 486 with Windows 95 today just as doctors and nurses can use buildings from 70 or 80 years ago - but in both cases, it makes even the simplest tasks that much more difficult. And in a field like patient care where the quality of service (keeping people alive) trumps the value of the building (again, beautiful structure, unfortunate circumstance) it becomes sort of obvious that the original WCH would not be long for this world.

Still running a 486 with Windows 95 today might not be the best example, it might be more apt to to describe trying to run that basic computer while replacing all the components one at a time. More memory. New motherboard. New graphics card. Maybe a new monitor. Software upgrades. But you're still stuck with a old box that can't handle all the demands of what goes on inside, and it's a lot simpler to buy a new off-the-shelf computer. That seems to be why most major hospital projects are greenfield newbuilds (such as HRRH, and Woodstock, St. Catharines, Peterborough, North Bay, etc., all of whose existing hospitals have or will be ripped down, some of which have historic value.) Mostly gone is the tradition of adding new wings to expand (except in the most constricted downtown sites) while creating an interesting, but not user-friendly, floor plan. So of course I get the plans for full building replacement.

That all said, it's still a shame that the original Art Deco building is going, especially as the first new building looks like a third-rate hospital wing in the suburbs or a small city (ie Woodstock's new hospital, seen from the 401, looks not unlike a jail), not a major, historic stand-alone institution. The original tower could have fit with the new plans without creating a jumble of corridors. There's lots that can be done with old buildings - administrative functions obviously, but also dry research, low-maintenance outpatient clinics (where expensive, large equipment would not be necessary) and the like. Maybe it will look better once the site is cleared and the second phase and the main entrance are built out, but I'm expecting a perhaps-decent glass podium on Grenville surrounded by grey metallic, mish-mashed slabs.

I'll be more upset if the Bond Street wing of St. Mike's is ever ripped down. The rest of it - the decrepit Shuter Wing especially, can go, however as they continue to rebuild their site on such a tight plot of land.

Last edited:
Pics taken July 24, 2013

This bunker evens looks more worse/eerie in person.

yoOtlic.jpg

LtEuSVP.jpg

tAsqTRz.jpg

JErkz3O.jpg

Last edited:
That new WCH is just horrendous. It's probably the most utilitarian building to go up in the downtown core in the last decade. It's also a huge shame because it replaced this.

Yesterday
2013-09-19 10.39.55.jpg
Can't get comfortable with wasting large sound interesting buildings.

Attachments

• 2013-09-19 10.39.55.jpg
    2013-09-19 10.39.55.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 449
This has to be the ugliest new building in Toronto. Just looking at it or even walking by it, makes me feel sick. (and a little sad)

Back