Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

Just to let everyone know developers signed a deal today to purchase the entirety of this plot of land for 2 new towers. At this point the only hopes of greenspace is if Wong-Tam negotiates a lease of 10-20% of the land from the developer. Another case of provincial government not listening to community members & trying to solve it's problems with easy money.

Very interesting news. Looking forward to learn details on the two towers. No doubt given the location and the size of the plot of land they will be very tall.

Well yes and no, its always been classified as development lands until Tam recently brought up the idea of a park...i guess it didnt fly

Would've loved to have a nice park there. However, I live right across from this land, and tired of looking at the "abandoned construction site". At this point, I would rather see another condo than what they have now. Also, knowing our government, even if they went ahead with the park, it would've been another decade before anything happened.

it obviously makes more sense to have condos than a ...park.

Why do we need a park here? Queen's Park is literally steps away, one of the largest. Too lazy to walk? In downtown, we have St James Park, Moss Park, Allen Garden, Queen's Park, Grange Park, Alexander Park, College Park, do we really need another park at Bay/Wellesley? We probably need a large park at St Jamestown, not here.

Everyone wants a park at their door steps, and asking for a park always seem a nice idea and hating condos becomes popular, but should a city have unlimited number of parks? Parks costs money to maintain and doesn't generate a single cent of revenue. Those who live nearby and want it to be a park, how about this: the city builds it as a park, and you pay the usage fee? I am sure they will give up the idea instantly.

Instead of a condo, if the city acquires it, building a public square with retail and events makes more sense than a park.

With ~60 projects being infused into this area over the next few years, I will humbly disagree that condos make more sense than a park.

sure, people always prefer a park as long as they don't pay a single cent.
Downtown Toronto is changing, if you didn't notice. It will get crowded, noisy and living space will get smaller and smaller. The next five years will be a turning point for the city. To expect a large green space every 300 meters simply isn't realistic. I wish the land next to my place is a park too but as I said, parks don't bring money but costs to maintain. One can't expect to have dog parks all over downtown. One can't expect to be close to all amenities in the large urban centre but enjoy large green space everywhere they go.

This land will not be a park for sure, just like TTC will not be free next month. I doubt there will ever be a new park downtown. What we have is what we will have.

Plazacorp's Musée proposal features public space such as a pedestrian passageway and public courtyard (that was supposed to connect to the now cancelled CKW project's pedestrian lane). Hopefully the developer can negotiate with the community here for similar concepts. A walkway cutting through the parcel of land and a some park/plaza space along Breadalbane would be nice.

Just to let everyone know developers signed a deal today to purchase the entirety of this plot of land for 2 new towers. At this point the only hopes of greenspace is if Wong-Tam negotiates a lease of 10-20% of the land from the developer. Another case of provincial government not listening to community members & trying to solve it's problems with easy money.

The MPP worked closely with Wong-Tam but the memo was to get the maximum amount of money for the land, locking the city out.

I won't name names, but I am fascinated by people on UT who feel that our city suffers from some lack of development and that developers are some sort of victims in these scenarios. (And that the people of Toronto are victorious because we get to have MOAR TOWERS!!!1111.)

SERIOUSLY? Every single square inch of downtown Toronto is being turned into whatever developers want it to be and you're bitching about the fact that taxpaying, urban-core-living Torontonians want more green-space?

I imagine many of the UTers with these opinions just don't live downtown or have any familiarity with it beyond its skyline. I just can't think of any other reason one would oppose new greenspaces in the downtown core.

I now await a flood of upset responses from the 15-year-old-skyscraper-fanboys-from-Markham. "But I like tall buildings. MOAR TOWERSSSS!!!". I was once a young UrbanToronto user myself, a high-schooler posting from Waterloo. But at some point I grew up, lived in downtown Toronto and realized that "more towers" are not a solution to ANYTHING. Not one thing. I hope that many of our younger contingent here will also learn the nuances of development and creating a good city.

If your approach to development is parks vs. buildings (and buildings always win), then your approach to city-building is self-centered and quite frankly unfortunate.

Last edited:
I am truly disappointed that this park didn't happen. This was one of the last large plots of land left in the downtown core, the only large plot left now is the one on queen east of Yonge. The developer here will certainly have problems with the community when this project indeed does come to fruition.

Last edited:
I the only large plot left now is the one on queen east of Yonge.

That plot will have zero chance to become a park, considering there is a sizable green space in front of the metropolitan United church just across the street on the west, and a large Moss Park merely 3 minutes away to the east.

Let's hope large commercial proposal will happen here, instead of just pure residential towers, to revive the Queen East area.

Back