Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

u2: There will be one. It will continue around the south end of the buildings, where it will be joined by a public space that cuts through the centre of the development; it will be remarkably similar to the other public spaces that already exist at Harbourfront which allow the public to enjoy a lakefront promenade.

From the drawing posted above, the public space component does not look nearly as inviting as in the model - rather, it looks like most of it is simply sidewalks on each side of the cul-de-sac driveway between the towers.

Not very exciting, nor much of a gift by way of a public amenity.

^ I don't think you're looking at it in the right perspective. Those aren't your 2m sidewalks. Compare them to the width of the buildings and you'll get the correct perspective. The public pedestrian zone passing through the middle of the development is quite large, with a narrow road down the middle to the cul-de-sac.

u2: There will be one. It will continue around the south end of the buildings, where it will be joined by a public space that cuts through the centre of the development; it will be remarkably similar to the other public spaces that already exist at Harbourfront which allow the public to enjoy a lakefront promenade.

Yes, but unlike you, most people don't consider the existing Harbour Square to be a resounding success.

Metro Man, a public space with a condo access driveway at is heart is hardly an outstanding public amenity.

^ That map is not up to date. The cul-de-sac now ends where the building begins. The entire area from that point on to the lake will be pedestrian only. It'll be an interesting place to pass through with the glass "bridge" looming 100ft above.

EDIT:

To provide some visual comparison:

2058363260_b0c188dd3b_o.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

The model is the most up to date of the two. Notice that a bridge was added to phase two where in the map – which was the earliest of information on Pier27, even before renderings were available – that bridge is not there.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, WATERFRONToronto made an exchange of that property on the NW corner of the lot for a wider public promenade that is really public, not "borrowed" from Pier 27.

Are you sure? I'm inclined to believe the developer's city planning application that is the basis for their building permits more than a marketing rendering.

Yeah, the site plan is quite outdated. The Committee of Adjustments approved several modifications afterwards including the second bridge

u2: The many people who use the park next to the ferry docks and south of Harbour Square in the nice weather obviously consider it to be a resounding success - mature shade trees, lawn, wooden boardwalk, seats to sit on and talk with friends or read a book etc - or else they'd be somewhere else ( making sandcastles with the kiddies and baking in the sun at HtO maybe ... ).

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know if they plan to build this in phases or if the entire complex will be built at once??

Thanks,

M

Also, if I'm not mistaken, WATERFRONToronto made an exchange of that property on the NW corner of the lot for a wider public promenade that is really public, not "borrowed" from Pier 27.

Thats correct, they exchanged some of the land they owned on that site plan for the remainder of the land owned along the Yonge street slip.

Yeah, the site plan is quite outdated. The Committee of Adjustments approved several modifications afterwards including the second bridge

To be technical, the CofA actually refused the requested modifications and it was relatively recently approved by the OMB (in July I believe).

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know if they plan to build this in phases or if the entire complex will be built at once??

It will be built in a number of different phases

:) Glad to have helped.

The underground garage will be accessed via the north end of the building – not the sides – so there's no need for cars down that area.

I think the area at the foot of Freeland st. (down the centre of the development) can be quite a unique space. That bridge looming above is going to be quite exciting. The width of the promenade will encourage gatherings of people.

As for those clamoring for commercial properties, I'm sure your wish will be granted with Phase 3 and 4 facing Queens Quay and running along Freeland st. I also think we can't yet rule out cafés along the pedestrian promenade of Phase 1 and 2. Looking at the model, it seems that the main floor has that potential.

Personally I really like that model. Sure it's the foot of Yonge St and whatever, but this city has lots of space for cool things, and I like this development.

:) ...those clamoring for commercial properties, I'm sure your wish will be granted with Phase 3 and 4 facing Queens Quay and running along Freeland st. I also think we can't yet rule out cafés along the pedestrian promenade of Phase 1 and 2. Looking at the model, it seems that the main floor has that potential.

I thought there will be townhouses on the main floors of Phases 1 & 2?

Personally I really like that model. Sure it's the foot of Yonge St and whatever, but this city has lots of space for cool things, and I like this development.

I agree.

I don't know if this is typical of other cities with waterfronts but when I visited San Francisco I noticed that the lands bordering the water was free from high-rises and buildings except for pier ports, etc.

Buildings were constructed across the street, thereby allowing the public complete access and unfethered views of the water. :D

Back