Toronto Vita on the Lake | 177.08m | 53s | Mattamy Homes | Graziani + Corazza

I've said it before and I will say it again: the area is perfectly served by the year-round Martin-Goodman bike trail. Sure, once the Park Lawn GO and Waterfront LRT West are built, the demographics such as seniors and people with reduced mobility will be better served. Everyone else has no one else but themselves to blame for their transit woes. Get on with the 21st century and stop thinking that ancient relics like cars and trains are the only means of transportation. And if you are too lazy to actually pedal your way to where you need to go, then they make e-bikes for people just like you! ;)

Wow - this comes across as being written by a healthy single person with no family responsibilities, and no concept, no feeling for what life can be like for others, people who do not fit his (or her) own particular profile...

I've said it before and I will say it again: the area is perfectly served by the year-round Martin-Goodman bike trail. Sure, once the Park Lawn GO and Waterfront LRT West are built, the demographics such as seniors and people with reduced mobility will be better served. Everyone else has no one else but themselves to blame for their transit woes. Get on with the 21st century and stop thinking that ancient relics like cars and trains are the only means of transportation. And if you are too lazy to actually pedal your way to where you need to go, then they make e-bikes for people just like you! ;)
Yeah, I might fit in your demographic and would probably cycle if I lived here. I am not sure if other occupying other demographics would agree.

The problem of course is once you leave the sanctuary of the Martin-Goodman trail. Even as someone sitting in your prime demographic, I find cycling in downtown streets somewhat terrifying. Many drivers shouldn't have licenses in this city, and City Council should be ashamed for what they consider as a cycling infrastructure.

Last edited:
healthy single person with no family responsibilities

^ You've just described (conservatively) over 50% of area's demographic. The same people that get into their cars every morning to get downtown, suffer through traffic and pay unholy amounts of money for parking there, and then complain about lack of proper public transit in the area. Some don't embrace the cars. They suffer through 1++ hour commutes to downtown by 501 streetcar that is crammed like a sardine can most of the way there and back. These people actually have the right to complain about the lack of proper transit connections. And somehow, none of these people realize that their commute would be faster, cheaper and more rewarding if they just use the bike trail. As I said, if you are absolutely allergic to sweating, there are e-bikes out there. There are a couple of guys using their e-bikes on the trail every day. They cannot be accused of being fit. But they leave me and all other cyclists in the dust with their speedy electric powered machines. Judging by the speed difference, I can't imagine it would take them more than 20 minutes to get from HBS to Union. After that, the subway is your oyster, go anywhere in the core quickly and conveniently. All I am saying is: a fast, easy, convenient and affordable option to commute downtown is there. It satisfies the vast majority of HBS demographics. Yet, so far, people prefer to moan and complain about sitting in traffic for an hour every morning instead of using the actual rapid commute option that is right there beside their vehicle that is stuck in traffic.

Moreover, if you have a family, I'm not sure how transit connections to downtown would improve your living situation in that regard. You will still need a car to drive your child to Montessori/school/pool/hockey practice. All I am saying is: this area is absolutely great for people who are not religiously attached to their vehicles and are willing to take advantage of the great bike trail commuting options HBS has to offer. For everyone else, there is MasterCard and a nice subdivision somewhere in Pickering.

roblem of course is once you leave the sanctuary of the Martin-Goodman trail
True that. In-town cycling can be gnarly. And definitely not possible year-round. I am lucky enough to work in SoCo, so 98% of my commuting distance is covered by the trail. However, see my reply to @AHK regarding commuting by the trail to Union. If I worked somewhere in-town, say Yonge/Bloor, I would do just that: cycle to Union (which means you are off the roads for the vast majority of the way) and then catch the subway uptown. It would still be faster than trying to get there by transit alone or by car.

I think Bike Share should expand aggressively in South Etobicoke and see what happens.
Luckily, they are doing just that this year:
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/03/bike-share-2019-expansion-105-more-stations-1250-new-bikes
However, the problem with BIXI bikes is that they are hella slow. I would guess it probably takes about an hour to get to downtown from HBS on a BIXI bike, Any half-decent urban/hybrid bike would shave about 20 minutes off that commute with the same effort required to pedal. So I am not sure how effective of an everyday commuting option it is if you are living such a distance away. However, I feel like the bikeshare network expansion could serve a great function to connect Mimico, Humber Bay Shores and High Park areas for local trips to stores, restaurants and parks, especially on weekends. So, it is a welcome expansion of the area of coverage for sure.

Yesterday, the gap in the HBS skyline that Vita is slotting into, then looking across the Vita on the Lake site to the Vita pit, and then a tieback drill:

Vita0.jpg
Vita1.jpg
Vita2.jpg

From two evenings ago:

IMG_6046.jpg
IMG_6048.jpg
IMG_6054.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6046.jpg
    IMG_6046.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_6048.jpg
    IMG_6048.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_6054.jpg
    IMG_6054.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 270
Are there an obligations in building the commercial along Lake Shore? These are small buildings. Surely they could lease or sell the space. Maybe one could be built as a school if the school board have nothing planned. We're building all these units here with the district schools being essentially full.

Maybe one could be built as a school if the school board have nothing planned. We're building all these units here with the district schools being essentially full.
Nah, they just don't have enough funds to buy back and build that land for schools,
.. remember there is more than enough room across the street @ The Kraft Bakery redevelopment lands for the city to crack a deal with the developer for schools, etc,

Back