Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

You would think we've learned enough about ugly design at Yonge-Dundas Square. Instead, we can go for the two-for-one. We are redesigning Toronto Life Square and building this. Don't blow it again.

There needs to be a law against architects putting trees twenty stories up in their renders. This ain't Babylon.

It's funny, but what might work here is a refined version of that development I loathe--West Harbour City.

I agree, the 21 Dundas Square proposal is garbage. Enough already!

What should go here is something like Tour Verre, that MOMA tower that I'm assuming got cancelled. Victoria Street deserves something sophisticated. With the dud that is Toronto Life Square (where the AMC Cinema is), Dundas Square needs something first rate that will elevate the area.

Old Tour Verre proposal, New York

Tour%20Verre.jpg
54-1.jpg

http://blog.xella.pl/budujemy/resource/Tour Verre.jpg
http://www.archicentral.com/wp-content/images/54-1.jpg

Honestly, I'd readily give up half the 100 m+ towers currently going up for 1 or 2 exceptional ones like this.

Last edited:
Both examples are from the Sticking Out Like A Sore Thumb school of design that gave us the cartoonish Ritz-Carlton-Gumbytower and that Libeskind thing grafted onto the O'Keefe.

Foreboding sky in the first photo, gloomy black and grey in the second one. Strongly reminds me of one of those towers in Lord of the Rings. That aside, I wouldn't want to see it on the streets of Toronto.

One of the saving graces of our skyline is the unifying effect that the generally muted, shared colour palette of many of our towers has. Someone recently remarked, in one of these threads, on how it works to tie together the City Place condo buildings of various sizes and shapes. But it goes beyond that - the common language of grey/green cladding, also seen on a number of office buildings, goes a long way to bringing Ritz-Carlton-Gumbytower into the fold, for instance.

Both examples are from the Sticking Out Like A Sore Thumb school of design that gave us the cartoonish Ritz-Carlton-Gumbytower and that Libeskind thing grafted onto the O'Keefe.

You forget to add that block of concrete sitting at Scott and Front. The St. Lawrence Centre.

Why is it that Urban Shocker chose the two non-box towers to pick on? Hmmm... not a shocker at all...

And its funny cause our present skyline started out with a tower or two from the TD Centre, which at the time, because of their colour, design and height, were the ultimate "Sticking Out Like A Sore Thumb" design. But you wouldn't want facts to get in the way of a someone's fantasy paradigm.

And its funny cause our present skyline started out with a tower or two from the TD Centre, which at the time, because of their colour, design and height, were the ultimate "Sticking Out Like A Sore Thumb" design. But you wouldn't want facts to get in the way of a someone's fantasy paradigm.

ProjectEnd Likes This.

Back