Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

*At the time*, i.e. consider how, before all the other towers mitigated things, the original TD Tower so dominated its surroundings in 1967. Technically, it "stuck out like a sore thumb", even if it weren't so sore as it seemed...

That's my point, it only seemed sore to the Twerpsters of the day. The sore thumb, had it been built, was the earlier design that was proposed before Mies took charge. Besides, it's not as if we had to wait for Mies to touch down in the mid-'60s to experience similarly fine modernist buildings - our best local architects and builders had already designed and constructed a number of them around town a decade or more earlier. So the TD was neither revolutionary nor novel in the Toronto context ( though that won't prevent some from redifining the word to mean what they want it to mean ), just very large ... and non-sore.

Spin, Twerpster, spin ...

That's my point, it only seemed sore to the Twerpsters of the day. The sore thumb, had it been built, was the earlier design that was proposed before Mies took charge. Besides, it's not as if we had to wait for Mies to touch down in the mid-'60s to experience similarly fine modernist buildings - our best local architects and builders had already designed and constructed a number of them around town a decade or more earlier. So the TD was neither revolutionary nor novel in the Toronto context ( though that won't prevent some from redifining the word to mean what they want it to mean ), just very large ... and non-sore.

Spin, Twerpster, spin ...

Though there may be an argument that the TD tower alone was sore-thumbish; it's only when Royal Trust materialized a couple of years later than it all started to balance itself out. An argument based less on design quality, than on design intention, i.e. this was meant to be a complex, not a single building.

Likewise, megastructures are most sore-thumbish when incomplete.

Both examples are from the Sticking Out Like A Sore Thumb school of design that gave us the cartoonish Ritz-Carlton-Gumbytower and that Libeskind thing grafted onto the O'Keefe.

...and giant Peter Clewes condo towers in the Distillery District?

...and giant Peter Clewes condo towers in the Distillery District?

No, you misunderstand. It's OK to stick out like a sore thumb if you're completely rectangular.

u14205459.jpg

Official enforcement instrument of the RCMP (Right-angle-obsessed Clewesian Modernist Police)

My issue with the design is not one of shape but of materials. Maybe it's the rendering but the cladding seems to blend/clash a little too much for my liking with the HNR building in front. Of course I'm only basing this on a rendering but I'd much rather see a sharper contrast that would allow each building to play off of each other. I would also agree with US that something a little understated here may have more impact on the area given the fury of visiual noise around it... so something sleek and black towering over Dundas Square would have a far stronger point of view, imo.

Hello fellow members. I am really interested in investing in the site. i love this location and I wonder whether this property in for rent or sale.

Does anyone have information about this project, and when sales are going to start. Thanks.

Back