Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

Fear of boredom is a very rational thing.

Fear of boredom is fear of confronting the self. Capitalism profits from that fear by promoting the values of horror vacui, which demand that all unadorned space be decorated with advertising, every silence be filled with promotional jingles, and every belly be filled with junk food.

There's one on the west side of the heritage building, visible from the Square.
And there's an ad-friendly rooftop next door at Hard Rock Cafe--and indeed, it's been taken advantage of as such, with no severe aesthetic injury involved unless you're an absolute ad-o-phobe...

So is fear of "OMGINYOURFACE" architecture. Plus, an "unadorned" wall doesn't have to be boring. It can be many things.

Why are we always presented with a false choice when criticizing a Diamond design? I don't think anyone is suggesting it has to be garish and over the top, but it could certainly be better than this.

Approved

The buildings been approved by the council so construction should start soon hopefully
:)

RE: comments about "Ohh spandrels or precast! Imagine the possibilities!"
I meant that a blank wall can be many things-- in regards to viewpoint or what sees-- not that it can be many types of materials. (Though that also would be true.)

RE: the demand for better architecture while still not going "over the top"
Fair enough-- we always need to demand good architecture. But I feel that both sides of the coin are taking a very brutal stance-- one side HATES all plain architecture, and the other side won't tolerate anything other than... well, Jack Diamond. There is definitely a happy balance somewhere in the middle. I think the debate gets particularly ugly when it comes to anything around Dundas Square because it's such a prominent location.

Wasn't this tower turned down by council? Or they ordered changes to be made? I didn't know it was anything close to approved.

RE: comments about "Ohh spandrels or precast! Imagine the possibilities!"
I meant that a blank wall can be many things-- in regards to viewpoint or what sees-- not that it can be many types of materials. (Though that also would be true.)

RE: the demand for better architecture while still not going "over the top"
Fair enough-- we always need to demand good architecture. But I feel that both sides of the coin are taking a very brutal stance-- one side HATES all plain architecture, and the other side won't tolerate anything other than... well, Jack Diamond. There is definitely a happy balance somewhere in the middle. I think the debate gets particularly ugly when it comes to anything around Dundas Square because it's such a prominent location.

Wasn't this tower turned down by council? Or they ordered changes to be made? I didn't know it was anything close to approved.

They already ordered changes months ago. They negotiated the numbers of floors but that was months ago. On the 10th it was approved by the council :) and obv its not ready for construction tomorrow but this was a giant leap forwards given the fact that the project started some 4 years ago.

I think I would love to live here. This IS the centre of Toronto. Looking out one's window down on to the square..
Does it get any better? Never boring, always something different happening. And the lights, the ever changing advertising and images. What more is there when it it comes to living in the city.
I guess there are many who post here that just can't comprehend this. And then, there are those that can.
This condo will sell out in a heartbeat.
..Hell, it has go me thinking, and I just moved into my new place.

As always seems to be the case in UT, the issue is over presenting Jack Diamond as the second coming of Huang & Danczkay, or something. *Those* are the grounds on which I feel the anti-JD arguments are overwrought.

I see hyperbole coming from both sides of the argument here...

and in that vein I advocate that Emaar (builders of the Burj Dubai) swoop in with guns blazing, and that they put up a 60 floor Alsop or Hadid or Nouvel or Rogers or Behnisch here. Oh hell, this is Dundas Square: even another Libeskind would work here.

As much as I like good Diamond, and yes, Jack has hammered together a number of excellent buildings chez nous, I do not see the need to put a suit and tie on a building at this square, as Jack always does (even if some of the suits are a tad cheap sometimes). This is a site for building the coolest t-shirt you've ever seen, something, anything, to distract eyeballs from the wife-beater on the north side of the Square.

Oh God, please hear my prayer! Amen.

Back