Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

an ultimatum: If the D & S design wins, I quit this forum and look for accomodation in another city!

Better start packing...

*sigh* As could be expected, HNR Properties rejects the most interesting design, and choses instead the worst one.

That and probably the cheapest one. Why spend years going to school to finally get out there and be told, "cheap, give us cheap!"

At least there are no plans to turn the Dundas Square side of the tower into another giant billboard like TLS... yet.

Well, the side that will end up facing the square has some blank walls... just right for some nice long posters in the future. I can't believe they would want the ugliest side of the building facing Y-D Square.

Five levels of retail is about the same size as AMC and would change the dynamics of Dundas Square. This could be interesting if they find a way to extend access to Yonge Street through an interior space. Perhaps the opportunities that were lost at AMC can be realised here.

My wish is for a nicely scaled atrium surrounded by glassed in shops in a well detailed modernist style that pays homage to the new Walker Court at the AGO. We could do worse than D+S. As far as the condos go, I wouldn't be surpised if they sold out overnight on opening day. I see lines snaking over Dundas Square for these. Perfect location.

I don't think an understated building will be a crime at this location given the visual clutter that surrounds. It might also make a nice contrast to the white-tiled heritage building that sits beside it which is quite detailed. I do think there would be an opportunity here for an interesting roof element which could become a distant visual marker for the square especially when lit at night.

What a disaster this building is. I assume that it will be subject to a design review board which hopefully gets rid of the worse elements of the design (we can hope...and pray).

Well, the side that will end up facing the square has some blank walls... just right for some nice long posters in the future. I can't believe they would want the ugliest side of the building facing Y-D Square.

The North Elevation does seem designed for future advertising canvasses.

picture3xg0.png
dundassquareadszi3.gif

EDIT: I put together a little demo of how the blank spaces could be used: a "pillar screen" on the left, a vertical billboard section on the right and a LED screen on the top.

Is it such a "disaster"? I suspect it's merely meant as a neutral-enough backdrop to the Hermant/HNR duo as the *real* urban stars of the show--something Graz & Cor would have distracted from...

Yeah, I completely fail to see the predicted impending doom from this one.

Kudos MetroMan ... you should definitely get the gig on this one... the idea should moderate condo fees nicely, and establish a nice commercial distraction that will help hide this latest DS lump 'o Coal. Better Yoplait than D+S blank walls.

Back