Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

Is it such a "disaster"? I suspect it's merely meant as a neutral-enough backdrop to the Hermant/HNR duo as the *real* urban stars of the show--something Graz & Cor would have distracted from...

This building is too much of a monster in size compared to HNR to be 'neutral'. (and I am certainly not complaining about its size as I think that helps enclose the Square. But blank walls facing a public square that calls for some sort of interaction and dynamism? Really? Really!?)

Rumour has it that The Bay will be replacing acres of "blank wall" precast at Yonge/Bloor... (apparently an important intersection) with much higher quality blank wall precast ... to contribute to the Y/B renaissance. Down with transparency!

^I should be able to get a few extra calendars and movie posters to tack up on the "blank wall."

Hey, it's a fire wall, what can you do?

Considering the location, who's to say that said blank wall is destined to remain blank? I'd imagine they probably are allowing for some kind of ad space or decorative treatment...

The North Elevation does seem designed for future advertising canvasses.

picture3xg0.png
dundassquareadszi3.gif

EDIT: I put together a little demo of how the blank spaces could be used: a "pillar screen" on the left, a vertical billboard section on the right and a LED screen on the top.

I passed through the square today and had a look at the possibility of my suggestion above. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that it could happen.

Standing in the square, one would have to look straight up to see any of those signs. The only people in the square that would really see anything would be those on the Jack Astors patio. Also, there's a possibility that people walking down Yonge would see it in the distance, perhaps not enough eyes on it to justify the cost of putting up such a thing.

At night I wonder how distracting the lights from Dundas square will be on the north facing units...

Good point. I know people at Pantages that say the lights are bothersome, even with curtains. You need vertical blinds to block out the flickering lights. This building will be even closer... Even though having a view of Toronto's (Canada's) premier square might be a selling feature in 20 years when YDS is really lit up, I don't think I'd want to have a north facing unit.

Then again, why does it have to be advertising? It could be "art", you know...

I passed through the square today and had a look at the possibility of my suggestion above. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that it could happen.

Standing in the square, one would have to look straight up to see any of those signs.

You mean like the people in Times Square that have to look up to see the ads as well? It's no different. Ads aren't just for the immediate block, they are for the entire vicinity.

You're seriously comparing the huge swaths of viewing space with the confined space of the tiny square we have?

Walk down Yonge and see if you can find any vantage points where you can spot Pantages.

The configuration of Times Square allows one to walk down this long area, which provides an optimum viewing point for every sign any sign on the square.

Sept 9/08 Update

Southeast view looking towards proposed building site

A monstrosity befitting of its placement next to the monstrosity of TLS! What more could you ask for?

p5

Back