Toronto Vü Condos | 83.51m | 24s | Aspen Ridge | Hariri Pontarini

Feel free to contribute as often as you please!

:D

All right then. I have a question for VDub. I always wonder how your crane is lifted or extended as the south tower keeps getting taller. On the internet one can find references to a "climbing frame" method, which to me doesn't seem to be applied here. So how is it done? And how often?

How to Jack Up a Crane

udo ... I previously wondered the exact same thing, this diagram explains quite well:

linkbelt_06.jpg

Re: How to Jack Up a Crane

udo ... I previously wondered the exact same thing, this diagram explains quite well:

Thanks Solaris. Yes that's how the Internert explains it and how it is generally done. The only problem (for me) is, that I don't see any "climbing frame" on VDub's crane (in the diagram this would be the blue and green parts).

Here is an enlargement of a picture I took a long time ago. It shows the base of the crane. Maybe you can see something there that I am missing.

3639686068_8a989fb78a_o.jpg

Last edited:
VDub lifts the crane manually. you should see his biceps.

Daily Commercial News

Views at the Vü in Toronto

110.jpg

WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY

Construction moves upwards on the Vü condominium/loft/townhouse project in Toronto, Ont. Owner/developer and general contractor Aspen Ridge Homes Ltd. has completion of the two-tower project scheduled for March 2010. The Project includes one 24-storey tower, one 15-storey tower connected by an eight-storey podium with a total of 524 units. The project will also have a courtyard and retail on the ground floor. The project was designed by Young & Wright Architects and Hariri Pontarini Architects. Consultants are Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd. (structural); and MV Shore Associates (1993) Ltd. (mechanical/electrical). Subcontractors include: B. Gottardo Construction Ltd. (excavating); Fourwinds Construction Inc. (site work); Anchor Shoring & Caissons Ltd.; Verdi Alliance (formwork); and ThyssenKrupp Elevator Ltd.

I heard that VDub was more of a song-and-dance man.

hugh-jackman-2009-oscars.jpg

Yes indeed, my special interest in the building can be explained by the fact, that our daughter bought one of the condos. I am also interested in architecture and photography, and I do like the Vü and its location.

Besides, its fun to contribute to the UrbanToronto website.

My crane is in her foyer...

LOL...

linkbelt_06.jpg

This is a top climber...

We don't use these very often around here but they are used almost exclusively in the States...

Here we use bottom climbers...

Basically there is a climbing frame in the bottom of the crane with separates vertically but is connected with a piston. The piston pushes up on the crane until its at its full travel at which point we lock in the crane with dogs. Then the piston contracts, raising up the very bottom of the section. We do this several times until we reach the new final height (two floors in this build)...

Make sense????

Man there was a great video on the procedure on Things That Move: Cranes...

Last edited:
Thanks Solaris. Yes that's how the Internert explains it and how it is generally done. The only problem (for me) is, that I don't see any "climbing frame" on VDub's crane (in the diagram this would be the blue and green parts).

Here is an enlargement of a picture I took a long time ago. It shows the base of the crane. Maybe you can see something there that I am missing.

3639686068_8a989fb78a_o.jpg

The white section at the bottom is the climbing section...

You can see the ladders going up the side of the crane which hang off of climbing beams. The piston and the top of the climbing section have dogs which come out and hook onto the ladders...

On a different note, they were shooting a Tylenol commercial on the roof of the north tower...

The camera was pointed right at me...

Can't wait to see the final product...

Back