Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Took a couple shots today over a break. Masonry is in progress over the doors, and there's about 100 feet left of hoarding left on the new platform. Everything is tarped so you can't really see anything.

BIG concrete pour this morning for the central section concourse roof. Also, noticed first few ceiling panels in the new (western) section of the concourse. Looks grey and industrial, but not bad. The only real negative thing about the ceiling is that it's very low.

Do we have a general idea when the hole will be filled and work on the revitalization of the street will begin?

The second platform is supposed to open in june or july, so I presume sometime around then. The entire project will be finished by the end of the year. (The end of the tunnel for Union station construction is finally in sight!)

The second platform is supposed to open in june or july, so I presume sometime around then. The entire project will be finished by the end of the year. (The end of the tunnel for Union station construction is finally in sight!)

Well, the end of the tunnel for the subway construction at least. By year's end we should only have just moved from the GO Bay Concourse to the York Concourse, with work on lowering the Bay Concourse down beginning then.

This being said, as a daily user I can't wait for Union Subway Station to get back to (a new, far improved) normal. The re-opening of the streetcar loop will also be exciting!

My understanding is that the Bay concourse will take much less time? I feel the project is way behind if we are only halfway through at the end of the year.

The completion of the TTC subway station will remove most of the pain for people using the station. If it weren't for that I would barely even notice that any construction is occurring.

This is true.

By GO's website York will be opening "in fall 2014" with Bay then closing to be rebuilt/lowered to the level of the subway station to be reopened "in late 2015". So I assume that's the point at which most Union GO construction will be complete. Not entirely sure on the scheduling on the retail level however...

My understanding is that the Bay concourse will take much less time? I feel the project is way behind if we are only halfway through at the end of the year.

The completion of the TTC subway station will remove most of the pain for people using the station. If it weren't for that I would barely even notice that any construction is occurring.

This is so true and, frankly, amazing when you consider the amount and nature of work going on.

Well, the end of the tunnel for the subway construction at least. By year's end we should only have just moved from the GO Bay Concourse to the York Concourse, with work on lowering the Bay Concourse down beginning then.
I somehow missed that the Bay Concourse would be lowered with the eastern renovations. Good to hear. It should make for a more pleasant experience in one of the city's busiest rooms.

Hmm. It looks like the TTC concourse will potentially be ready to open its full width back east towards Bay before GO is ready to close its existing concourse and start lowering the "moat". Does anyone know if they'll have some sort of interim stage for a few months where the full width of the TTC doors will be opened with more sets of temporary concrete stairs up to GO, or if they'll just keep that closed off until the moat is lowered to meet them level?

When they start 'lowering the moat' and the current GO concourse do they have to excavate much or have they already created the new shopping mall etc below that area and only need to remove the top 'layers' before they reach the already constructed new floor??

Back