Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

People say they want works of art, but what they really want is milquetoast. Not everyone will like all art. It's a bit had to commission a Cezanne. The art is fine. Move on.

People say they want works of art, but what they really want is milquetoast. Not everyone will like all art. It's a bit had to commission a Cezanne. The art is fine. Move on.
There's a lot of famous art that would create a firestorm of protest I'd think. Can you imagine if they put in a Picasso ... or a Garfunkel? :)

Perhaps some pop art ...

If only they had a million dollars to spend on this, rather than just hundreds of thousands.

Why would you say this? Nfitz was right, this depressing art will obviously cause dozens of suicides and must be removed. That this is true is so obvious I can't be bothered to prove it. But you should be ashamed of yourself for disagreeing.

Come to think of it, that Munch painting is literally of a guy STANDING ON A BRIDGE, looking sad. How irresponsible! I demand that it be destroyed immediately.

Why would you say this? Nfitz was right, this depressing art will obviously cause dozens of suicides and must be removed. That this is true is so obvious I can't be bothered to prove it. But you should be ashamed of yourself for disagreeing.

Come to think of it, that Munch painting is literally of a guy STANDING ON A BRIDGE, looking sad. How irresponsible! I demand that it be destroyed immediately.

And there I was, thinking that Rothko would make good public art...

AoD

Good grief, really?

It might well be art, but that hardly sounds like the inspiration I want to see when arriving at the office for another 10-hour day.

I wonder what it would trigger in the mind of someone thinking about jumping.

(For those not 'getting' the above.)

And there I was, thinking that Rothko would make good public art...

AoD

Mondrian. Died of natural causes. And his best work looks just like a transit fantasy map!

Hmm, he's not actually sad, more shocked.

(He's also not screaming, contrary to popular belief).

I don't find the art to be particularly bad, maybe out of place, but boy, I'll definitely take some creative expression over more white 1950s bathroom tiling.

Uh, I didn't say that. I asked if it was so bad that it could trigger something like this. I also said I hadn't clearly seen it yet, because it wasn't backlit yet last time I was there.

The answer to the question seems to be no, it isn't THAT bad.

And I certainly never suggested it should be removed. Stating that would be a blatant mistruth.

Can you please carefully read what other people say and not misquote people? Thank you.

Mondrian. Died of natural causes. And his best work looks just like a transit fantasy map!

Yeah, I noticed that too.

I don't find the art to be particularly bad, maybe out of place, but boy, I'll definitely take some creative expression over more white 1950s bathroom tiling.

I don't get why everyone rips on the bathroom tile stations. I've always liked them (except the light blue colour). And if anyone wasn't aware, there's a pattern to the colour schemes.

2359481647_566aa98d06_b.jpg

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2008/03/25/ride-the-rainbow-of-bloor-danforth/

Attachments

• 2359481647_566aa98d06_b.jpg
    2359481647_566aa98d06_b.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 787
I hate being having to ride Line 2 every day, seeing either the darkness of the tunnel, or the same, bland tiled design in every single station. It's borderline depressing.

Line 1 is far more interesting. The stations almost all have different designs, and the at-grade sections between Eglinton and Bloor and between Eglinton West and Downsview are a welcome break from the bleakness of the tunnel. I definitely feel a lot happier and energetic when I'm on Line 1 than when I'm on Line 2.

I've heard TTC operators say the same thing about the subways and particularly Line 2, so I know I'm not alone with this sentiment.

It's gotten to the point where occasionally I'll opt to add a few minutes onto my trip by taking a bus from Yonge to wherever I'm going to in Scarborough, rather than having to deal with the bleakness of long distance trips on Line 2 (depending on the time of day and your point of origin, the bus isn't too much slower than Line 2).

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed that too.

I don't get why everyone rips on the bathroom tile stations. I've always liked them (except the light blue colour). And if anyone wasn't aware, there's a pattern to the colour schemes.

I think the 1950s large vitrolite tiles were more interesting than the 1960s small tiles, but they all beat drab dirty concrete walls. All the stations should be taken as a sign of their times, even the early 1980s Yonge subway brown reno jobs. I used to dislike the excessive orange and brown 1970s Spadina stations, but that was the orange and brown decade so let it be. What should be done is to maintain them all in good condition as close to their original appearance where possible.

I think the 1950s large vitrolite tiles were more interesting than the 1960s small tiles, but they all beat drab dirty concrete walls. All the stations should be taken as a sign of their times, even the early 1980s Yonge subway brown reno jobs. I used to dislike the excessive orange and brown 1970s Spadina stations, but that was the orange and brown decade so let it be. What should be done is to maintain them all in good condition as close to their original appearance where possible.

Are the Bloor-Danforth washroom tiles a "sign of their times", or was it just the TTC trying to keep costs low? I'm willing to bet it's the latter.

I hope that in time the TTC will be able to renovate more of the stations Bloor-Danforth. It doesn't have to be anything expensive; even murals like at College or Victoria Park would get the job done. Anything that breaks up the monolithic washroom tiles is well welcome.

Back