Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

The artist himself explains that his goal was to create an authentic reflection of what it’s like to ride the subway

OK. That's pretty funny. "You know what people riding the subway should have? Art of people riding the subway!"

Notwithstanding the art itself, that's pretty uninspired.

Count me in with those who want to see bright colors and happy scenes in our subterranean artwork.

I've been on the platform and heard people comment that the figures look sad and depressed. Something a little lighter and more cheerful would be a good way to brighten people's day when they're about to pack into a crowded subway train. The installation itself is great, excellent concept.

I've been on the platform and heard people comment that the figures look sad and depressed. Something a little lighter and more cheerful would be a good way to brighten people's day when they're about to pack into a crowded subway train. The installation itself is great, excellent concept.

There is always the "Joy" skylight piece that's about to get restored at Glencairn - and I am still annoyed by the fact that l'Arc-en-ciel hasn't been reinstalled at Yorkdale.

AoD

OK. That's pretty funny. "You know what people riding the subway should have? Art of people riding the subway!"

Why not just install a huge mirror?

Okay, so this is a bit 'meta' but we have a print of Summerhill station from when it first opened hanging in our front hallway. Rather than art in the subway station, we have a picture of the subway station as art. :cool:

11034164_10155281496880297_5081056514522663229_n.jpg

It's done by a Toronto artist that has shot a bunch of the TTC stations from when they first opened. Really cool stuff if you love public transit like me.

Ben Mark Holzberg

Attachments

• 11034164_10155281496880297_5081056514522663229_n.jpg
    11034164_10155281496880297_5081056514522663229_n.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 949
^^ That's really cool!

There is an apartment building on Balliol that has huge framed prints of the different Yonge subway stations in their lobby like the pic below. I think they also have text that says "to trains".

Slide1.323184712.JPG

I also have a pic of mine from NYC that I had blown up on canvas and another canvas I bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond which I later found out misrepresented the actual lines that ran through Prince Street Station (there's much lesss).

IMG_20150508_114221.jpg

IMG_20150508_114211.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150508_114211.jpg
    IMG_20150508_114211.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 915
  • IMG_20150508_114221.jpg
    IMG_20150508_114221.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 920
Last edited:
Not only is it depressing but it's not artistically interesting either. Sketches can be quite nice but these just look low effort. I expect much more for $160k and an installation at our most significant subway station.

Needs to be more artistic. Would have to be one of those funhouse mirrors instead.

Exactly! A funhouse mirror would be great! People would love it. They'd be walking up and down the platform looking at themselves from all the different distorted reflections.

When I was younger I worked for the Ontario Science Centre and one of the old guys who worked on the interactive displays told me something I've always remembered and smiled at. He said:

"Kid, you put a big fancy laser on one side of the room. And put a scale on the other, and people will go stand on the scale."

Not sure what that has to do with this discussion but there's a nugget in there somewhere. :)

Exactly! A funhouse mirror would be great! People would love it. They'd be walking up and down the platform looking at themselves from all the different distorted reflections.

Great idea. I think commuters would get a lot more enjoyment out of funhouse mirrors than looking at those "ghoulish gangs" and "outlines of atomic bomb victims" as some images were described in the Star piece.

When I was younger I worked for the Ontario Science Centre and one of the old guys who worked on the interactive displays told me something I've always remembered and smiled at. He said:

"Kid, you put a big fancy laser on one side of the room. And put a scale on the other, and people will go stand on the scale."

Not sure what that has to do with this discussion but there's a nugget in there somewhere. :)

Yeah I can see the headline in the Star now: "Disoriented child falls onto subway tracks"

Back