Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Wow, check out slide 9. Could they have selected less appropriate light standards? It's like they asked the MTO for spare cobraheads from some highway widening project in Sudbury or someplace, lopped them in half, and plunked them on the sidewalk. Classy.

No kidding. They don't match the old Toronto arc fixtures to the east, or the c.1990 fixtures (which also feature HPS cobraheads, but nicer brackets). I hope those are temporary.

I think they might be temporary - recall the concerns with the light standards at Corus Quay before their replacements.

In any case, whatever light standards used wouldn't do a whole lot for improving this section, given the conference centre.

AoD

Wow, check out slide 9. Could they have selected less appropriate light standards? It's like they asked the MTO for spare cobraheads from some highway widening project in Sudbury or someplace, lopped them in half, and plunked them on the sidewalk. Classy.

That has to be temporary along with the ugly highway guardrail and chainlink fence at the foot of Jarvis. I remember being concerned when they installed those lights at Sugar Beach, but they were just temporary. Still, if the budget were cut for some reason, the lights would probably be permanent. That's not going to happen, though.

I think they might be temporary - recall the concerns with the light standards at Corus Quay before their replacements.

In any case, whatever light standards used wouldn't do a whole lot for improving this section, given the conference centre.

AoD

They need to find a way to slow traffic outside the convention centre, that is the main problem IMO. I don't mind long blocks like that as long as you can jaywalk easily, and you can't do that there.

innsertnamehere:

Actually that's another issue - I was referring to the aesthetics of the stretch in general. The limits of improving the urban realm through streetcaping is pretty apparent in this - as well as Bloor Street Revitalization.

AoD

unions17.jpg

Crews were working all last weekend including the night, replacing all the stair noising leading from the station to TTC Concourse.

I believe they adding a grip nosing to the stairs treads to prevent slipping on the wet nosing currently in place. This is supposed to be the 3rd change to these stairs.

I was surprised this wasn't done when they were first built as standard practices elsewhere. Safety issue.

Crews were working all last weekend including the night, replacing all the stair noising leading from the station to TTC Concourse.

I believe they adding a grip nosing to the stairs treads to prevent slipping on the wet nosing currently in place. This is supposed to be the 3rd change to these stairs.

It looks like they just painted the stair nosings yellow, there was a black texture applied before, but now it's been painted.

Sept 19th

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 873
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 867