Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I prefer more yellow in the light at home - though brighter than most people like (I find it easier to read with my aging eyes).

But in station? As bright and white as possible please. The TTC stations they updated some 15+ years ago with brighter, whiter (and I assume LED) lighting - the triangular lights, instead of the flat ones. The stations look much better and less dingy to me. Why they stopped replacing them I don't know.

I would like to see all lighting fixtures in the world replaced with sodium-vapour lamps!

(I'm only partially joking...)

I don’t mind warmer lighting, in fact I hate extremely white/blue lights (especially headlights), I’m sure the Metrolinx promo image looked warmer before they edited it. I was focusing on the fact that more than half the lights are out only 2 years after opening

I prefer more yellow in the light at home - though brighter than most people like (I find it easier to read with my aging eyes).

Oh hush, you're not a grandpa yet! (I don't think) LOL

The TTC stations they updated some 15+ years ago with brighter, whiter (and I assume LED) lighting - the triangular lights, instead of the flat ones.

Nope, those are still flourescent. The TTC has moved to LED lighting on trains; and the new box lights at some of the older stations where the ceilings were redone is also LED.

The stations look much better and less dingy to me. Why they stopped replacing them I don't know.

The program was always a bit ad hoc; but suspect a future incarnation will be LED; and probably require a different fixture cover.

Bringing some concourse Lighting discussions from March 2023 forward for reference.

The Bay Concourse has gotten extremely dark as of last week, I even asked GO’s Twitter and I got back the response that it’s “completely normal and not out of the ordinary”, why are half the lights off now? First image is when the Bay Concourse opened and the second one is from last week:

View attachment 463693View attachment 463695

And it’s just that some of the lights were burnt out either, it’s all over the concourse.
A tidbit of info. When the designs for the Bay Concourse was first introduced, this was back in 2010 and included the lighting that is now outdated. The contractor had to adhere and install what the approved lighting was back in the day under their obligation, which is now obsolete. Any change or deviation would have increased the price of the total build which was already over budget and now the lighting is failing with not enough parts to repair them.

Yes, currently CFL lighting with ballasts that are failing at a high rate. Now to change that over to LED is not as simple as a plug and play. The BAS system controls not just the Bay Concourse, but also the retail level and the BoH areas as well.

Oh hush, you're not a grandpa yet! (I don't think) LOL
LOL. Not yet, but my younger brother is twice over!

in the last 5 to 10 years I've certainly noticed my reading distance become very narrow, to the point I can't read a paperback. But brighter light really helps - In not sure why. And reading glasses of course.

And dim light anywhere doesn't help my eyes even for distance. So I'm all for brighter and whiter light in public places.

LOL. Not yet, but my younger brother is twice over!

in the last 5 to 10 years I've certainly noticed my reading distance become very narrow, to the point I can't read a paperback. But brighter light really helps - In not sure why. And reading glasses of course.

And dim light anywhere doesn't help my eyes even for distance. So I'm all for brighter and whiter light in public places.
Your pupils constrict in bright light so the light spreads less on your retina hence more light is less out of focus. (I hope that's clear)

Your pupils constrict in bright light so the light spreads less on your retina hence more light is less out of focus. (I hope that's clear)
Ah! So I'm not just being crazy!

It's all so odd seeing these changes - meanwhile my brother has become sensitive to bright lights. It is interesting when we both visit parents at the same time. :)

I am definitely right at that age where my eyes are starting to protest at reading stuff up close. I have to take my glasses off to look at menus or my phone half the time!

I am definitely right at that age where my eyes are starting to protest at reading stuff up close. I have to take my glasses off to look at menus or my phone half the time!
(Continuing this relatable OT topic)

I have to remove my distance glasses to see anything up close. And I've definitely used my phone to magnify micro menus when out. The worst was driving at night with my distance glasses. My eyes had to work to read the dash instruments through my glasses and after a couple of hours, my eyes hurt!

Anyway, get regular eye checks when you approach 50, and consider progressives... I am!

I don't understand obsolete lighting. People have been spoiled by led lights to the point changing the bulb is a foreign concept. Buy replacements, or but LED tube lights and ballast by passes and voila, the lights are back on.

I thought LED lights were supposed to last longer, but in reality they seem to break very quickly. I don't know if it's a quality issue or what

I thought LED lights were supposed to last longer, but in reality they seem to break very quickly. I don't know if it's a quality issue or what
I have read a major factor is the brightness intensity you use, with higher brightness increasing the time to failure exponentially; something like if you set them at 60% brightness they last 3x longer then at 80% brightness which is where they last 3x longer than at 100% brightness. Essentially, the advice I got was if you can control brightness, you should avoid ever having them at 100% for anything other than brief periods. Keep them at 80% or less and you will greatly extend the lifespan.

Last edited:
I took the “after” photo below just under a year ago, it’s gotten even worse than this, I’ll take an update photo this Sunday:View attachment 542634View attachment 542635View attachment 542636
As promised here’s an updated 2024 photo from almost the same angle, note the missing ceiling panels and even more off lights
IMG_4314.jpeg

Back