Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Just as long as we've been waiting for the Great Hall new lights and marble floor restoration :) cc @DSC
Absolutely... definitely the marble floors... the caution tape on the floor is embarrassing. With the lighting you can dismiss as just a difference in preferences, some vampires like it dim lighting, but that ceiling and floor looks like poor maintenance.

Absolutely... definitely the marble floors... the caution tape on the floor is embarrassing. With the lighting you can dismiss as just a difference in preferences, some vampires like it dim lighting, but that ceiling and floor looks like poor maintenance.
The lighting in the Great Hall (which dates from the 1970s or 1980s I think) is absolutely dreadful and in 2016 the City actually posted a tender for heritage chandeliers but then cancelled it. It remains 'on the list'. Here is my 2016 post, sad~!

Request for Quotation - Prequalification
ecblank.gif

Call number: 3907-16-3141
Commodity:
Goods and Services, Electrical Supplies
Description:
Toronto Union Station Great Hall Chandelier Fabrication,65 Front Street West, Toronto.
The purpose of this Request To Pre-Qualify is to solicit information about your firm’s previous performance and ability to undertake custom luminaire fabrication, specifically regarding Toronto Union Station Great Hall Chandelier Fabrication,65 Front Street West, Toronto.
Issue date: October 6, 2016
ecblank.gif

Closing date: October 20, 2016
at 12:00 Noon

ecblank.gif

Security deposit: No
Non-refundable document fee: $50.00 + 6.50 HST = $56.50

EDIT: THIS TENDER CALL HAS BEEN CANCELLED (20 October 2016).

I am not sure where to put these photos, but since this occurs outside Union and our famous designer Jersey barriers, why not? Anyways, I have not seen this before, but can only say that the addition of traffic cops? Wardens? Is a wonderful idea. Hopefully they are installed at York and Front, and at certain intersections along King. What an improvement over the usual chaos involving the Toronto subset of irrational and behavioural challenged drivers.
IMG_3594.jpeg
IMG_3592.jpeg
IMG_3590.jpeg

I am not sure where to put these photos, but since this occurs outside Union and our famous designer Jersey barriers, why not? Anyways, I have not seen this before, but can only say that the addition of traffic cops? Wardens? Is a wonderful idea. Hopefully they are installed at York and Front, and at certain intersections along King. What an improvement over the usual chaos involving the Toronto subset of irrational and behavioural challenged drivers.View attachment 542385View attachment 542386View attachment 542387
Along with other locations, these City employees are all along King from Spadina to Jarvis and on Lake Shore at Lower Jarvis. As noted elsewhere, they are VERY effective! Lots of details in King Street thread and on Steve Munro's blog. An example of using cheaper people who are clearly more effective than the police - who had pretty much given up on traffic problems.

The traffic wardens are doing great work and their presence has helped immensely. They should also install red light and speed cameras throughout downtown, which would do much the same. The cameras would train people to follow the rules even during the 22 hours that the traffic wardens aren't on duty.

The recent Congestion Management Plan report looked at the issue of using the Red Light Cameras to deal w/those blocking intersections.

Currently, this cannot be done, as provincial law makes that offense one that expressly charges the driver, rather than the owner of the car.

Similar issues occurred earlier w/red light cameras and speed cameras, so changing this requires provincial legislation and/or regulation.

I think addressing that, so that intersection blockers get nailed will be one of the more important moves. A few more cameras wouldn't hurt, but using the ones we have more effectively would be great.

Last edited:
We definitely need provincial action to make progress on traffic enforcement via camera. That would be preferable anyways so that the tools can be rolled out broadly in other cities and not just in a few intersections in downtown Toronto.

With provincial action we could also create a scheme where parking-type tickets are given to intersection blockers. Those tickets could be issued by parking officers or these traffic wardens instead of just by cops.

While @DSC and I get closer to middle age as we wait for the City to finally move on the Great Hall Lighting...................

Metrolinx wants to replace the obsolete lighting that was in the relatively new Bay and York Concourses?

1708627990868.png

While @DSC and I get closer to middle age as we wait for the City to finally move on the Great Hall Lighting...................

Metrolinx wants to replace the obsolete lighting that was in the relatively new Bay and York Concourses?

View attachment 542555
Great to see movement on this, the lighting in the Bay Concourse has degraded to an appallingly bad state and it's been that way for years now.

I took the “after” photo below just under a year ago, it’s gotten even worse than this, I’ll take an update photo this Sunday:View attachment 542634View attachment 542635View attachment 542636

I will admit a preference for soft, indirect lighting in the home (like Northern Light, due to my middle age), but isn't this a matter of replacing lightbulbs? Or if the lighting system isn't working at all, suing the contractor?

Since this is all likely LED or at worst fluorescent lighting, how could the system be obsolete?

Back