Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

20190418_135203.jpg

Shot of Bay Concourse taken this morning.

They have now removed the white weather-proofing screens in the east Front Moat so you can, fairly easily, see the whole area (and the outer side of the 'mezzanine windows' shown above.) It seems clear that they will sooner than later open a pedestrian passageway through the Bay concourse so they can finish off the area where the temporary (indoor) metal stairs now are.

I also noted that in the passageway that runs east to west parallel to Front (where Danish Pastry House etc are.) they have put a few large X marks on floor. Very similar to the marks they put in the Great Hall showing where the new illuminated information pillars were installed. I assume they will have similar pillars on that level too.

Union Station is basically undergoing a renovation. Just like Notre-Dame de Paris.

While Notre-Dame has undergone many, many renovations over the 8 centuries, because of the fire this past week, they will definitely have to spend more than the $6.8 million they had budgeted for it. See link.

There have been problems with the Union Station renovation, luckily not as bad. Mostly flooding from rainstorms. See link.

Is anyone else really bummed that it seems like the entire Union station is plastered with Vype advertisements? It's a pretty sad first impression to people visiting our city. I don't object to this advertising entirely but it seems like there should be some standards for the maximum quantity of advertising for any vice product....

Is anyone else really bummed that it seems like the entire Union station is plastered with Vype advertisements? Its a pretty sad first impression to people visiting our city. I don't object to this advertising entirely but it seems like there should be some standards for the maximum quantity of advertising for any vice product....

Agree 110%

Is anyone else really bummed that it seems like the entire Union station is plastered with Vype advertisements? Its a pretty sad first impression to people visiting our city. I don't object to this advertising entirely but it seems like there should be some standards for the maximum quantity of advertising for any vice product....

I am surprised they have not been yanked after their incident at Dundas Square. Truthfully though it is not such a bad thing. :

Euston, Paddington, Kings Cross - St Pancreas and London Victoria all in the UK are plastered with advertising, billboards and name-brand stores. It is not that bad and some of the billboards have become iconic. In Vypes case it is everywhere and overdone.

They should have incorporated advertising space into the renovations rather than have it slapped all over everything,

Lights maybe?
Definitely lights - which will shine up to roof of the two walkways that go down (outside) from the John A. Plaza and will illuminate the facade too. There are also lights at the base of all the columns. Looking VERY good! Can't wait to see them and the lighting from the roofs of the two moats actually turned on. The lighting on the west side moat already there, east moat to come. I suspect there will also be lighting on east and west side above the glass canopies.

Vype has infected the entire region. It's plastered all over subway stations, convenience stores, and gas stations.

Back