20140726_054540.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 694
  • 20140726_054759.jpg
    20140726_054759.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 689
  • 20140726_063712.jpg
    20140726_063712.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 701
The last time I was on Front (this past Friday), it looked like they were ready to pour new sidewalks/curbs on the south side and there seemed to be a temporary asphalt walkway. What I'm wondering is whether the north side of Front will be resurfaced, because it's pretty cratered right now.

The last time I was on Front (this past Friday), it looked like they were ready to pour new sidewalks/curbs on the south side and there seemed to be a temporary asphalt walkway. What I'm wondering is whether the north side of Front will be resurfaced, because it's pretty cratered right now.

I thought the sidewalks were supposed to be granite?

Of course it will be resurfaced - actually 're-built" - once the south side is finished and traffic can be shifted - and there will be new sidewalks in front of the hotel too

Update: The road has now been moved into the centre of the street for a bit going west from Bay so they are starting to fix the north lane of the road and, eventually, the north sidewalk. The curbs appear to be concrete but the sidewalks - not yet open -that they have laid on the south side are pavers - I could not tell whether they are granite but I hope so.

Last edited:
Wow, the new Union Station will pale in comparison to the "Transitbay Transit Centre" in San Fran.

The funny part is after all that this station still doesn't have a good BART connection (~200m walk outside on skinny sidewalks). The second Transbay tube, which would connect BART to this station without a long walk, has a cost so high nobody will even make an estimate (likely around the $5B mark).

Last edited:
Two of my friends from LA were in town for the weekend. We exited the subway at Union and walked down to the Harbourfront. I just wanted to say it was embarrassing having to navigate through the mess that is Union right now. And getting to and walking through the Harbourfront was also embarrassing, but a subject for a different thread.

I know all the major reconstruction there is necessary and in the long-term will be awesome. But speaking as a resident of downtown an a used-to-be frequent visitor to Union, before the reconstruction started, we are getting sick and tired of how long this is taking and how messed up Union is. I avoid that area like the plague. Get this done already.

Two of my friends from LA were in town for the weekend. We exited the subway at Union and walked down to the Harbourfront. I just wanted to say it was embarrassing having to navigate through the mess that is Union right now. And getting to and walking through the Harbourfront was also embarrassing, but a subject for a different thread.

I know all the major reconstruction there is necessary and in the long-term will be awesome. But speaking as a resident of downtown an a used-to-be frequent visitor to Union, before the reconstruction started, we are getting sick and tired of how long this is taking and how messed up Union is. I avoid that area like the plague. Get this done already.

There are some management issue, but at the heart of the matter you are looking at multiple concurrent projects (Shed, PATH, Subway, Concourse, etc), all of which has to stay operating during construction. Unless you want to go with the cost of 24/7 rush job (which will be expensive), it's not going to come fast.

AoD

It took 8 yrs to complete the one world trade center project/tower. These things take time...

Of course it will be resurfaced - actually 're-built" - once the south side is finished and traffic can be shifted - and there will be new sidewalks in front of the hotel too

Update: The road has now been moved into the centre of the street for a bit going west from Bay so they are starting to fix the north lane of the road and, eventually, the north sidewalk. The curbs appear to be concrete but the sidewalks - not yet open -that they have laid on the south side are pavers - I could not tell whether they are granite but I hope so.

I thought I would ask, given the city's tendency not to coordinate such things ...

Strange that....I had friends in town earlier this year and was proud to show them how much work is/was going into Union and how it is being accomplished without having to shut down any of the services (save and except the occassional subway interruption on weekends) that go into Union. Perspective, I guess.

Back