Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

You can really see the contrast between the bright, airy atrium and the dark, cramped heritage shed here. If only we could have had the rest of it relocated to other stations or museums or something and had the more open atrium design cover all of the platforms :(

Just feels like we chose to keep a herritage feature almost no one is going to appreciate over passenger experience.

The only place that shed is fit for is the scrapyard.

AoD

You can really see the contrast between the bright, airy atrium and the dark, cramped heritage shed here. If only we could have had the rest of it relocated to other stations or museums or something and had the more open atrium design cover all of the platforms :(

Just feels like we chose to keep a herritage feature almost no one is going to appreciate over passenger experience.
I don't think the average passenger is on the platform long enough to notice or care how low the ceiling is. But I like the old - it fits with the heritage restoration inside - all the nice old dark metal 😍

I don't think the average passenger is on the platform long enough to notice or care how low the ceiling is. But I like the old - it fits with the heritage restoration inside - all the nice old dark metal 😍

You and I often agree, this will be one of the exceptions. I certainly value the heritage of the Head House of Union Station........but like the Via Concourse, the train shed is really a never should have been.

Its easy enough to replicate the heritage bits in a different context if that makes sense........(ie. black metal rafters etc.)

But to me, the platforms under the shed (non-atrium portion) feel enclosed, without feeling cozy; they feel dank/dark, w/o feeling formal, they feel utilitarian w/o feeling industrial.

I have to come down on the side of the shed should have gone, and still should go. We can do so much better.

Last edited:
You and I often agree, this will be one of the exceptions. I certainly value the heritage of the Head House of Union Station........but like the Via Concourse, the train shed is really a never should have been.

Its easy enough to replicate the heritage bits in a different context if that makes sense........(ie. black metal rafters etc.)

But to me, the platforms under the shed (non-atrium portion) feel enclosed, without feeling cozy; they feel dank/dark, w/o feeling formal, they feel utilitarian w/o feeling industrial.

I have to come down on the side of the shed should have gone, and still should go. We can so so much better.
Perhaps it's the goth in me that likes the dark & dank & industrial steampunk aesthetic. 😂 I respect your take on it & see what how it could have been a respectful renovation that still added more headspace. Maybe still a possibility in the future.

Perhaps it's the goth in me that likes the dark & dank & industrial steampunk aesthetic. 😂 I respect your take on it & see what how it could have been a respectful renovation that still added more headspace. Maybe still a possibility in the future.

Ok, now I need the picture in my inbox.

LOL

I don't generally need pictures of other UT'ers..........but that goth thing has me totally thrown. Not the way I had you pegged! LOL

Ok, now I need the picture in my inbox.

LOL

I don't generally need pictures of other UT'ers..........but that goth thing has me totally thrown. Not the way I had you pegged! LOL
To paraphrase Churchill, perhaps I am riddle wrapped in an mystery inside an enigma..or just a little chaotic neutral. We'll probably run into each other eventually.

To paraphrase Churchill, perhaps I am riddle wrapped in an mystery inside an enigma..or just a little chaotic neutral. We'll probably run into each other eventually.

Entirely possible, but not all that likely. I generally move in the shadows. LOL

The regrettable situation of not having the new canopy over the entire area does present an opportunity to remove the heritage portions and build over each end. It can be done from an engineering point and selling the air rights may be too tempting/necessary to pass on.

The platforms under the shed are still being reworked eventually no? I thought the plan was to start with the south platforms (currently underway) and then rebuild the rest of the platforms in a phased approach? Are we certain that the shed will be kept in the final designs?

The platforms under the shed are still being reworked eventually no? I thought the plan was to start with the south platforms (currently underway) and then rebuild the rest of the platforms in a phased approach?

This is correct.

For clarity, several platforms will be widened through the removal of extant tracks through the shed, the result will be fewer, but wider platforms.

Are we certain that the shed will be kept in the final designs?

That is the current plan.

Funnily enough I find the diesel grime more noticeable on the picture of the newer roof. Dim lighting hides much I guess.

Hopefully OnCorr says “it’s the shed or electrification” and the result will be bye bye old shed (even though the inertia of Toronto/Ontario means no electric is definitely a possibility)

Funnily enough I find the diesel grime more noticeable on the picture of the newer roof. Dim lighting hides much I guess.

Hopefully OnCorr says “it’s the shed or electrification” and the result will be bye bye old shed (even though the inertia of Toronto/Ontario means no electric is definitely a possibility)
I remember seeing a document from 2021 I think about the USEP heritage work for platform 20/21. It said they do have a solution for the entirety of the train shed without touching it.
Its just fixed catenary like you see in tunnels.

Its not even a complication

Would love to see the return of Harvey's to union. How about a Baskin Robbins or dairy queen. Get your ice cream fix on a hot summer day.

A Panini shop would be nice as well or even Mr sub
I was in union station Harvey’s when they had that old crt playing the news and tmz reported Michael Jackson died. Whatttt? And who is TMZ!!!!

It sounds like you're paraphrasing Skillet to me! You almost directly referenced one of their songs.

Back